Mineral or Meteorite?

neffy812

Feb 17, 2013
I thought this rock looked interesting because it had a burned and eroded look on the outside like a lot of meteorites, but when I cracked it open to see what the inside looked like it had me confused because I had never seen anything like it, and I haven't been able to find anything like it online. I was hoping that some of you could help me identify it. It's not magnetic, and the inside has a fibrous or scaly texture. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but hopefully you'll be able to identify it by the pictures.
006.PNG 007.PNG 008.PNG 009.PNG 010.PNG 011.PNG

OP
OP
neffy812

neffy812

Feb 17, 2013
I just tried a streak test, and just black, but not much. I wondered about it possibly being a really old tooth/fang (maybe shark tooth), especially considering the shape, but I haven't been able to verify that.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not a fossil though it does have a tooth like shape. From the pictures, before and after you chipped it, it looks to either be a rather warn bit of schorl or maybe a quartzite mix with magnetite which may or may not be magnetic. Took a good polish though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
neffy812

neffy812

Feb 17, 2013
Awesome. I can definitely see a strong resemblance to black quartzite. I found this along the side of the road mixed in with some gravel and other random materials. I also found tear drop shaped metal pieces as if there was either a blacksmith there at some point or someone did some welding. Maybe that would explain the scorching.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread