Minimum depth please!

leafster99

Jan 7, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Deleon, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone usually wants a coil to scan deeper, but what if you want it to scan shallower. Right now I'm dealing with frost about 3 to 4 inches down, and assumed that by reducing my sensitivity to around 2 on my silver umax, i could cherry pick surface or near surface finds. Not so, unfortunately, as I was still getting solid tones from pennies, tabs, and large brass, deep down about 8 inches if not more. Are there any strategies for avoiding undesirable depths due to frost or maybe clay? Is there a trick to estimating the depth of a target?

Befuddled in Canada.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raising the coil higher off the ground will only allow it to punch through less, but remember the field will be smaller too so you'll have to over lap more so as to not miss any ground.

OP
OP
leafster99

leafster99

Jan 7, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Raising the coil higher off the ground will only allow it to punch through less, but remember the field will be smaller too so you'll have to over lap more so as to not miss any ground.

Would raising it after a hit aid you in pinpointing your target as well Sandman?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it would if you practice with it as the field is smaller like an inverted cone, the target can be located easier. It can also give you a better idea of depth. Since everyone holds the detector different you need to practice this with a coin on the ground to see where on your coil you should aim for.

OP
OP
leafster99

leafster99

Jan 7, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Yes it would if you practice with it as the field is smaller like an inverted cone, the target can be located easier. It can also give you a better idea of depth. Since everyone holds the detector different you need to practice this with a coin on the ground to see where on your coil you should aim for.
:icon_thumright: Thank you Sandman! I hope its nice out tomorrow. :icon_thumleft:

Ok, i tried it with my eyes closed, and this does actually work. I raised the coil, pinpointed it and then lowered the coil with my eyes closed and pretty much had the target in the middle of the donut coil everytime. Muchos Gracias el Sandmanos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions