Feb 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Will. I bought the 3 by 18 for my Silver.. Worked fairly well on dry sand beaches, Where the grass was 4 inches high or more, I'd find can slaw and an occasional quarter..Just could not get down. Soccer fields and surface, recent lost items, you have a chance, as long as the grass is packed down.. Pin pointing is easy and direct. I was unhappy.Went to a Vaquero, got another Clean sweep coil ............ totally different world. The other thing to remember is that the matching characteristics of Wide scan and concentric coils may cause some depth loss when you can't ground balance.. A Vaquero with a clean sweep coil will give a good hit on a dime at 5 to 6 inches in air..This distance is down several inches from the stock coil.. Your silver will find the same dime, stock coil, in the 5 to 6 inch range..A wide scan coil drops you 25 percent or better..Then we have "in ground" loss. Add in the grass /air gap, and you are limited to surface items. This works for a lot of people.. However, the more power you can push through the clean sweep, the bigger your smile is going to be. If you live in the Central Ohio area, you could try the "V" and the "CS" out.. That is the only way to be sure.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 3x18 for my Silver Umax and it has served me well.

I've used it in the dry sand and on ball fields.

Pinpointing is a breeze, the max depth I was getting in very mild soil was in the 4-6 inch range.

I've read comments about the added weight of the coil, I didn't notice much difference.

I like the excellent amount of coverage per sweep and wouldn't want to be without it in my arsenal.

If you are looking for better depth, I'd suggest the 12x10 coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread