Mining car wheels weigh a ton

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I have found over 20 of these wheels the last couple years. They would be in various degree of condition. Some were broke and others would be very rusty. I then noticed that they had different design of spokes, so like a fool I told myself I had to have one of each.
I was able to carry one out by myself. My son and I carried two others out, tied to a pole, slung over our shoulders. I weighed them when I got home. They were 115 lbs. Sometimes I wonder why I don't take up coin collecting.

Attachments

• S3010016.JPG
    S3010016.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 836
  • S3010015.JPG
    S3010015.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 827
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of these mining wheels though mine is different. Your post reminded me that I still have mine squirreled away for what reason I have no idea. It is a piece of history. Congrats........

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big O ranger stopped us from taking one home it was to heavy anyway ;D AA

T

TreasureTales

Those wheels are very cool. I have a small piece of ore cart track, a few track spikes (like miniature railroad spikes) and a couple other small things from mines, but nothing as large nor as interesting as your wheels. Last week the local antique dealer sold 3 iron ore cart wheels, I should have asked what he was getting for them.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
lumbercamp how old are these, suppose to be some from the charcoal rails near my folks, for the ore mines{1860}, havent had time to look yet, to busy chasing down the gold mines in the area. cool finds

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Back in the 60s my aunt owned a cabin on about 25 acres just a stone's throw from a ghost town in Colorado called Ashcroft....about 12 miles south of Aspen.

Anyway, there were many old silver mines around there. Most were caved in, though there was a mine shaft on the top of a hill that was EXTREMELY deep. Drop a rock, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait for it to hit bottom.

Anyway, there was a creek that ran behind the cabin. It came down from where a couple of small mountains kind of ran into each other. My family was there on vacation for about a week, and one day, my cousin and I decided to follow the creek up the mountain. That was back in the day when the water was so pure you could just drink it out of the creek.

Anyway, we got about a half a mile away from the cabin, and was following the creek, and it made a sharp left around some rather large boulders. We rounded the rocks, and came face to face with a mine opening. Sitting there directly in front of the mine was an old ore cart, loaded to the top with rocks. The creek came down right over the top of the mine entrance, so the cart and the tracks that ran into the mine opening were sitting right in the midst of the creek. Like most of the other mines, the entrance was caved in.
But what a fantastic find!

Sure wish I had a camera back then. Hmmm...I am gonna see if I can see anything using this newfangled Satellite Technology...
:)

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I'll be...I found it.

It is right about Longitude -106.79695, Latitude 39.04943

Satellite imagery out that far is not as high res as say, downtown Denver, but it is enough I can make a good guess as to where the mine entrance is.

I traced the creek in green, the cabin is upper center, and the red arrow indicates one approximate area where the mine entrance is, but I placed a second arrow with a question mark that might be the more likely area. Heck, there is a light-colored object at the question mark area that could be the mine cart itself for all I know:

5xh67hf.jpg

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Those are cool...now make a little cart for your yard...put them on it and plant flowers in it! I dont think there is anything I have found yet that doesnt look good with a flower in it! :)

OP
OP
lumbercamp

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Ah, Gypsy, I know you love your flowers, but it would look better with pumpkins in it at halloween. Actually, I have thought about building a mine car. I have four wheels and a couple axles. One that is still attached to the wheel. Just have to get the ambition.
Thompy, the mine operated from 1874 to 1912. They would mine coal and haul it to coke ovens.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How neat!

Nana :)

Top Member Reactions