Aug 7, 2014
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett 2500 GTI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again all.
I hit an alleged really old schoolhouse near some old mining camps today. Wasn't the greatest of days, really hot and humid. Was able to pull a token of some sort and what I am pretty sure is a coal mining script. If anybody has ever seen a script like this, let me know. I've looked all over the internet and can't found the mark (hole in the coin) like this one anywhere. It may even be a train token. Not sure. The two pieces of metal were found right next to each other and I think fit together. Not sure what that is either. Thanks for looking and HH! Supposed to hit a civil war headquarters site tomorrow! Can't wait!!!

Attachments

• 090914 wrights mountain 5.jpg
    090914 wrights mountain 5.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 090914 4 wrights mtn.jpg
    090914 4 wrights mtn.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 090914 3 wrights mtn.jpg
    090914 3 wrights mtn.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 090914 2 wrights mtn.jpg
    090914 2 wrights mtn.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 09092914 1.jpg
    09092914 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 090914 token.jpg
    090914 token.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 6

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi <Might be a shift or Tool Check SR tinpan

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, the one with the chevron cutout is a piece of scrip (not script, btw) - I can't read the name of the company but if you could let me know what it is, I'll look it up. Is it Masilk? The Ingle-Schierloh company of Dayton, OH made this type of token for a lot of coal mine company stores. They were used to advance workers money on their pay. If the worker needed something from the store, but had no cash, the company would loan them money, then deduct the amount from their next check. Remember the Tennessee Ernie Ford song about owing his soul to the company store? The last token looks like a relatively modern (1975-1985) video arcade token.
John in the Great 208

OP
OP
P

parks_eric

Aug 7, 2014
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett 2500 GTI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey I've soaked and scrubbed in baking soda. It is a Dayton Ohio "SCRIP" lol. It is a five center and across the top says Master MEtal Scrip...then it says Ingle Schierloh CO. Along the bottom says Jewell Ridge, VA. Would you know the value?

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats on the mining token! :notworthy: And tx to idahotokens for cluing us all in to its history!:notworthy: I like your token & also your old quilt! :notworthy: Andi

OP
OP
P

parks_eric

Aug 7, 2014
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett 2500 GTI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden years...those are place mats at my dinner table lol..and Thanks! HH

OP
OP
P

parks_eric

Aug 7, 2014
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett 2500 GTI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrip.png
I do believe this is it. The fronts were all the same, just the back had its own customization pertaining to the certain company store.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Token & Stuff..
Nice Key as well , 'For some reason I have a Key Pettish':icon_scratch:

Davers

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the one with the chevron cutout is a piece of scrip (not script, btw) - I can't read the name of the company but if you could let me know what it is, I'll look it up. Is it Masilk? The Ingle-Schierloh company of Dayton, OH made this type of token for a lot of coal mine company stores. They were used to advance workers money on their pay. If the worker needed something from the store, but had no cash, the company would loan them money, then deduct the amount from their next check. Remember the Tennessee Ernie Ford song about owing his soul to the company store? The last token looks like a relatively modern (1975-1985) video arcade token.
John in the Great 208

I def, Respect your Knowledge of Token, As you have helped me in the past.

When did Aluminum Tokens Start Showing up in this Country?

Thanks
Davers

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay--let's see if I can get all this done in one post. The token is from the Jewell Ridge Coal Corp. - according to Dodrill's "20,000 Coal Company Stores" book, it operated from 1910-1958 and had 850 employees at one point. This company evidently re-ordered tokens several times over the years as tokens are known with the Master Metal Scrip / Ingle-Schierloh, Insurance Credit System, and Osborne Register Co. / ORCO manufacturer's logos. All of those companies were related, and their name changed over the years. There are denominations from 1¢ to $5 known. Edkins Catalogue of U. S. Coal Company Store Scrip shows your example as rarity 5 which translates to 75-99 known in collectors' hands. He estimated the value at $6.50 in 1997 when the book was published.

In token-collecting circles, the "front" of a token is called the obverse. It is where the name of the business that used the tokens is found. The "back" is called the reverse, and in the case of most scrip, is where the name and logo of the manufacturer is found. In the case of "trade tokens" like I collect, the reverse usually is where the denomination is found in a statement like, "Good For 6¼¢ In Trade". That odd-sounding denomination, btw, is one half bit and was used where goods sold at a price of 4 for a quarter.

Aluminum was considered a "precious metal" from the time the element was discovered until the process for refining it using electricity was perfected. Then the price dropped dramatically and, since it was highly suited for making tokens, became popular after the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago. Many manufacturers, especially in the western U. S., were a bit slow in adapting to this new material, so aluminum trade tokens generally date after 1900.

John in the Great 208

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, I had about 2-300 pieces of the Jewell Ridge Orco scrip at one time. Still a bunch of it around here somewhere. Didn't know about the other makers though. Cool find!

OP
OP
P

parks_eric

Aug 7, 2014
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett 2500 GTI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone!
Idahotokens...you know your stuff. If I find more I will definitely let you know. Thank you for the information. That's why I like this site, there are some people who know this stuff waaayyyyyy better than I do.
Thanks again!

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im from the jewel ridge virginia area! Neat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread