Mining the wet sand of the 1715 fleet

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
All you TH'ers are waiting for THE storm to cut the beach. That maybe a long, long time. Has anybody ever tried mining the wet sand? A GPS unit would be recommended so you can keep track where you've been digging. Pick a spot on the wet sand during low tide and dig a 4 foot square and 3 to 4 feet deep. a few PVC 1" x 36" and a 1"x6"x36" board place on the sea side of the hole might help the wall from collapsing. Always dig with a buddy if you can. Piling the sand between you and the ocean to form a dam for those occasional big waves that roll in and the dam will keep it out of the hole. Once dug then scan the bottom of the hole and the sides plus the sand that was dug out. Its a Crap Shoot if you recover anything. If nothing is found then you can dig either to the left or right or back toward the dry sand. But keep the digging in the wet sand so the incoming tide will fill in the hole at high tide. Don't leave a open hole if high tide isn't till dark and there is a chance of somebody getting injured from falling into the hole.
There are artifact hunters who use this method for uncovering arrow and spear points. Sometimes they are successful and other times, a big hole has been dug for nothing.
Most detector coils can go down a maximum of 18 to 24 inches depending on the target. Digging in an area known to be in the vicinity of a 1715 ship wreck, the odds are in your favor of hitting a good target from time to time until that BIG storm strips away the sand again. ;D

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is more like real work! Many of us detect for the thrill of the hunt and if we can't find it our way, maybe we'll just find it another day.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
that would be alot of work an can almost bet someone would have something to say about it. lot of people jog on these beaches an if someone mention to someone there digging huge holes at the beach, you could end up making thing worst on everyone else. I know your not plannning on leaving the hole but most people want see it that way, all they see is the hole thats there now.If it was on a remote area I would say go for it but a public beach in fulll view of everybody, I would rethink the idea, but thats me.

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, it was just a thought. Maybe have your detector out there and dig a one foot square hole like you are digging for a target. Then run the coil down a couple of feet, scan the bottom and around the inside of the hole. Nothing then kick the sand back in and walk on down the beach to another random spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread