Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

I found this Minneapolis MN Police button on my first hunt with the AT Pro. It was down about 3" in a NE Minneapolis park.

Looks like it was made by a company called Brophy & Petrie out of Chicago.

Google wasn't much help, but it did seem to indicate that the company only around for a short time in the 1890s.

This is the first interesting button that I have ever found and I don't really know where to start research wise. Anyone familiar with this company or can you point me in the right direction to do some research?

Thanks for looking
Jeff

Attachments

• image-2468871224.jpg
    image-2468871224.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 222
  • image-3907944164.jpg
    image-3907944164.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 6

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, someone else from the Twin Cities! Nice find, it certainly looks old. Looks like Ebay has one from the same manufacturer. Try googling antique minneapolis police button and there are several . Try the Minnesota Historical society also. They have tons of pictures and resources that might help.

Don't know if you hunt much across the river, but just a caution that you need a permit to hunt Ramsey County parks.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a bit of lemon juice will clean that up nice

TreasureJeff77

Mar 12, 2013
Eagan
Detector(s) used
350 GTA Garrett, ACE 250, ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, someone else from the Twin Cities! Nice find, it certainly looks old. Looks like Ebay has one from the same manufacturer. Try googling antique minneapolis police button and there are several . Try the Minnesota Historical society also. They have tons of pictures and resources that might help.

Don't know if you hunt much across the river, but just a caution that you need a permit to hunt Ramsey County parks.

Susan is there any other places by Twin Cities that requires a permit for using a metal detector? Could you provide a link to find all the info on detecting? Thanks!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dakota county doesn't allow metal detecting anywhere. For Ramsey county, just email: [email protected] with your name and address and they'll mail you your permit letter. I would request yours soon, because closer to summer it can take a couple weeks to get it, i just requested mine and it was mailed out in a couple days. Water and beach hunting is restricted to certain hours in the summer but otherwise its wide open to detecting. St. Paul is fine, nothing needed. I know Minneapolis beaches have no water hunting until end of summer, but I'm not sure of other restrictions. Three-river parks don't allow any detecting ever. The gopher state treasure hunting group may be able to give you other specifics. Good luck.

TreasureJeff77

Mar 12, 2013
Eagan
Detector(s) used
350 GTA Garrett, ACE 250, ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dakota county doesn't allow metal detecting anywhere. For Ramsey county, just email: [email protected] with your name and address and they'll mail you your permit letter. I would request yours soon, because closer to summer it can take a couple weeks to get it, i just requested mine and it was mailed out in a couple days. Water and beach hunting is restricted to certain hours in the summer but otherwise its wide open to detecting. St. Paul is fine, nothing needed. I know Minneapolis beaches have no water hunting until end of summer, but I'm not sure of other restrictions. Three-river parks don't allow any detecting ever. The gopher state treasure hunting group may be able to give you other specifics. Good luck.

Thank you very much Susan!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button find! I think you can pretty much narrow the date of manufacture down, like you have, based on how long the manufacturer was in business.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Susan,

Where did you hear you cant MD in Dakota County? I live in Farmington & never heard this?
Thanks

Trevor

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Susan,

Where did you hear you cant MD in Dakota County? I live in Farmington & never heard this?
Thanks

Trevor

From the head of Dakota county parks, in 2008. It's always possible that what they say, and what they enforce, are two different things.

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PM your email & I'll send you my permission from the Dakota parks dept. I got hassled once last year, re-emailed my contact & she assured me it was completely legal & would remind the park people the policy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread