in this cold I'd probable stick fast to the ground :laughing7:

Weather this morning said we broke all records for the last 70 years so far

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan; minus 13 windchill minus 35 High today minus 2 14 inches of snow yesterday!! Winter sucks!!!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our pipes are frozen and busted.third year in a row it's happened. Seems like the landlord would learn by now.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our pipes are frozen and busted.third year in a row it's happened. Seems like the landlord would learn by now.

sorry to hear that :( should have read my warning elsewhere here :(

keep water running at at least a trickle.

I hope your landlord is responsible for repairs.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're not as cold, 16 for a high, but the darned wind 20-30mph feels 0 -5.
I think I should have hibernated this winter!
Then they have to go and get my hopes up by saying there's a 3 day thaw with some rain this weekend, and you know I'm thinking "detecting!", but probably won't be able to get the probe in the ground or worse yet dig up the goodie!
Jeff get a remote car starter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had an extremely ruff start on my Explorer.

First off even though it was covered with tarps the Doors Are Froze shut.

Had to open the Back & crawl in.

second turn of the key it started But took a little bit to convince me it would stay running.

Think I'll let it run for at least 40 Minutes before Trying to get in again

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOH ! Heat Wave :headbang:

Warming up

Untitled.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe not so much of a heat wave the temp is up but wind has increased makes for a colder feeling conditions.

Oh where is the TH'ers pics of "warm" places? Does anyone remember what summer felt like?....sigh.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I slip on ice in this cold I'd probable stick fast to the ground :laughing7:

Weather this morning said we broke all records for the last 70 years so far

Just spray yourself down with cooking oil so you won't stick! :laughing7: :laughing9: :tongue3:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1601228_10203006079217989_265346963_n.jpg This is very unusual for us. Praying that the strawberry farmers made it through & also the citrus trees. It's currently sitting at 34, will be back down in the low 20's for another hard freeze tonight. Also, I'm praying that none of the cows give birth during this time. We suppose to reach 70 by Saturday.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last night we had -30 wind chill here in southern Indiana and a high of one degree. We live in a 150 yr old farm house on the prairie with nothing to stop the wind. We are so far south that we only got 2 inches of snow but there were 2 foot drifts across the gravel lane. All night the house groaned and creaked like that explorer's old tall ship that got caught in the arctic ice a hundred years ago. I went out every three hours or so and started the cars and the generator just in case. Couldn't sleep anyway for all the wind noise and creaking. This house has a four foot diameter open hearth style fireplace in the middle of the living room and it was thumping and howling and sounded like a bad tuba player. The furnace never got above 60, I was a almost a nervous wreck waitin' for some great disaster to strike, and of course the wife is on the couch snoozing way all night, she says the bad weather outside makes it "cozy".

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night we had -30 wind chill here in southern Indiana and a high of one degree. We live in a 150 yr old farm house on the prairie with nothing to stop the wind. We are so far south that we only got 2 inches of snow but there were 2 foot drifts across the gravel lane. All night the house groaned and creaked like that explorer's old tall ship that got caught in the arctic ice a hundred years ago. I went out every three hours or so and started the cars and the generator just in case. Couldn't sleep anyway for all the wind noise and creaking. This house has a four foot diameter open hearth style fireplace in the middle of the living room and it was thumping and howling and sounded like a bad tuba player. The furnace never got above 60, I was a almost a nervous wreck waitin' for some great disaster to strike, and of course the wife is on the couch snoozing way all night, she says the bad weather outside makes it "cozy".

Yes My Propaine heater wouldn't shut off for a Rest & the temp has never gone over 64 here. I had the Creaks last night Too :laughing7: First I heard them in years

I just started getting a chill about 20 Minutes ago & turned it up full blast, I'm at 69f now
but don't expect it to rise much farther .
Got a major Headache all day from being outside to start my Explorer.
Just started it again for the last time , figure (hopeing) a 30 minute run will hold it till Sunup tomorrow.

I never got above 6 here today & they are dropping their earlier predictions
for tonight .

they also dropped their mid 20's prediction for tomorrow to teens too.

Will probably be down to -5 again here till all is said & done

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Propane furnace here too. We get a double whammy though, because the propane truck driver will refuse to come up the lane if it is drifted over in the slightest. We have run out before and have electric heaters for the kitchen and bath, and build some pretty impressive "what my friends call bonfires" in the hearth. Never saw anything like this here before, though. This has been surreal.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Propane furnace here too. We get a double whammy though, because the propane truck driver will refuse to come up the lane if it is drifted over in the slightest. We have run out before and have electric heaters for the kitchen and bath, and build some pretty impressive "what my friends call bonfires" in the hearth. Never saw anything like this here before, though. This has been surreal.

Yes I hope this isn't a sign of things to Come.

If it holds off for another 70 Years I'll be happy :laughing7:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
This morning when I got up it was minus 8 with a windchill of minus 37. Winds gusting up to 45mph. I decided to stay at home and work in the shop, I've been working outside. Not today.
I have an outside furnace with hot water baseboard heat. I keep the house at 75 degrees 24/7. The shop I keep at 60 degrees, that way I can leave my hoodie on. Thought about building fire in the woodstove this evening, just to make it 'cozy'. Probably wont bother.
And by the way, tending the outdoor furnace..... not my job. My two adult sons still live at home. Sux to be them!!!

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch! SW Ohio also hit a 70yr low.
I woke up to -13? My truck barely started.
How do folks in Alaska and Canada overcome such temps?
Peace

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's just plain nasty out there today, we've had wind gusts up to over 100km and temps that have been -25c these past few days, so the windchill is severe as it drops to -40c at times. Propane shortages in the eastern part of the country and a lot of folks are running out, pipes freezing, and the one main supplier has 19,000 customers that are screaming for deliveries. They'll do 40% fills when a person runs below 10% or when it runs out completely, time to put in a third source of heat at the house to cover one's butt against supply issues. Mild weather on it's way in a few looking at 0C and lows of only around freezing so it'll feel like spring! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread