Mipmuc maize grinding stone in central MA?

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• EBC5A680-310F-48E5-896E-CD768B4AD5BA.jpg
    EBC5A680-310F-48E5-896E-CD768B4AD5BA.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
It does not look like I would expect a grind stone to look like.

Was the stone very soft? Did you try rubbing it to attempt to determine the material? If so, what occurred?

It sort looks like someone used quickcrete to form some sort of basin.

Were there any old home foundations or the like around the immediate area? What was the area?

It looks like you were in a forested area. In the surrounding area, were there any large hardwoods? It looks to be in a clearing sort of area. I don't see any large trees in the background. That may indicate its an old homestead area, or the land could have been clear cut in the past, and the workers made some homemade tool for some reason.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yep, we would need more to give you an opinion, clean it up, brush it off...give us a size reference too....put you shoe in the photo.

OP
OP
diabolicalbeans

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put a bottle on the photo above for a size reference, it was pretty good size I would say at least 3 1/2 feet long. I was on a hiking trail in Medfield Massachusetts, there are a ton of stone walls the whole area had been farmed at one time. But it also was heavily populated by native people before the Europeans. I did not feel the stone so I don’t know what it felt like. It’s pretty far from where I live.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trailside mortars, large and for communal use, are not uncommon. But you would need to clean that out and examine it for evidence that it was being used as a mortar. Here’s a good one from RI. Until just a few years ago, this was located in its original location, where the Narragansett held huge summer festivals. It was positioned at the base of a sloping outcrop that had a channel worn into it, ending just above the basin of the mortar....

B9D68B08-087B-4C68-B681-7791F0B97D3B.png

OP
OP
diabolicalbeans

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I contacted the chief of the Nipmuc tribe, they are in charge of artifacts and things like that, I asked them if they wanted to check it out. Waiting for a response now I’ll let you guys know what they say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread