Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One of the areas we went into a lot also had a lot of Black bears. Our little .22's had the first 2 rounds as snake/rat shot. For the snakes but also to shoot into the face of a black bear if needed. If they can't see you or smell you for their own blood, you have a good chance of living. BTW don't try to out run them. They are faster for 100 yards than you are. Take someone along that you don't like and trip them as they start to run. If you out run them, then you don't have to worry about the bear.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I would have to disagree with that statement about black powder not being comparable to "anything" in modern smokeless powder ammunition. For an example, a 2 bore rifle packs more punch than ANY smokeless rifle or shotgun bar none, and is black powder only. The old 75 caliber Dragoon pistol packs more punch than any modern handgun caliber, and the Colt Dragoon loaded to max capacity is right up with a 44 magnum. You can get impressive performance from black powders, it just takes a bit more.

One last bit on bears but quite often a charging bear will change its mind simply by your firing a shot in the air or in the dirt. This is no guarantee by any means, but a 'warning shot' might do the trick rather than having to kill the animal, which may not have been intent on killing you - many bears will make false charges at people, intending to make you go away, and this can be a pretty frightening experience too but do not always assume the bear is definitely going to kill you even if it is charging right at you. It might be just trying to scare you away.

Please do continue, have had enough bear encounters to suit my taste and we have not even touched on mountain lions yet. This talk also has a side effect of reviving that urge to head north again, which would not be a great idea for me in October.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez - I always seem to arrive too late to any party 😥
Dit - all the very best on your new endeavour, and may HE look after you and protect you (don't know about the 'protect' bit, me thinks you are more than capable yourself!)
In any case - Vaya Con Dios!
Videre - gratulerer med dagen!

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many good weapon and cartridge choices........most important is bullet placement........
If your life is in danger, you always fire to terminate the threat.......to discharge your weapon to scare a threat is either foolish or was never needed.....

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
For over 100 years, the longest recorded kill by a rifle was a shot on an indian chief by a Texas ranger with a 45-70. The plains Indians had attacked a group of Texas rangers, bad choice. They had retreated some distance away to plot their next run when one of the Texas rangers slid the rear sight all the way up for elevation and shot at the chief. He tumbled down from his horse and the Indians fled. I can't remember the year or the rangers name but it is recorded somewhere. Good Luck. rockhound

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeez - I always seem to arrive too late to any party 😥
Dit - all the very best on your new endeavour, and may HE look after you and protect you (don't know about the 'protect' bit, me thinks you are more than capable yourself!)
In any case - Vaya Con Dios!
Videre - gratulerer med dagen!

Better late than never....and I STILL think you're a Peach, Sir Wiley One.... :occasion14:

Et år eldre og et år klokere, Min Venn.... Takk skal du ha!

Må Gud velsigne oss begge!
:notworthy:

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never leave camp without a good 18 inch blade for those embarrassing moments when you don't have time to reload.

Keep 'em sharp enough to shave with and clean enough to eat with.

{80(>

One of the areas we went into a lot also had a lot of Black bears. Our little .22's had the first 2 rounds as snake/rat shot. For the snakes but also to shoot into the face of a black bear if needed. If they can't see you or smell you for their own blood, you have a good chance of living. BTW don't try to out run them. They are faster for 100 yards than you are. Take someone along that you don't like and trip them as they start to run. If you out run them, then you don't have to worry about the bear.

Frog Sticker and buddy tripping stick.... Check! :icon_thumright: :laughing7:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For over 100 years, the longest recorded kill by a rifle was a shot on an indian chief by a Texas ranger with a 45-70. The plains Indians had attacked a group of Texas rangers, bad choice. They had retreated some distance away to plot their next run when one of the Texas rangers slid the rear sight all the way up for elevation and shot at the chief. He tumbled down from his horse and the Indians fled. I can't remember the year or the rangers name but it is recorded somewhere. Good Luck. rockhound

Hey now....don't be giving the sasquatch any pointers on sniping Injuns!! :tongue3:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dit,
I send along with you my best wishes and my all weather companion to protect you-- who has never failed me:
images

Don.....

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dit,
I send along with you my best wishes and my all weather companion to protect you-- who has never failed me:
images

Don.....

Perfect for my coffee!! :hello2:

Thank You, Don!! :icon_thumright: :notworthy: It's nice to know my Pirate friends will always have my back!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Many good weapon and cartridge choices........most important is bullet placement........
If your life is in danger, you always fire to terminate the threat.......to discharge your weapon to scare a threat is either foolish or was never needed.....

The key point there is IF your life is truly in danger. A charging bear is not necessarily going to physically attack you. A warning shot, even against an angry charging bear, often will make them stop the charge, or even turn and run the other way. Don't be too quick to kill. This is a good reason to have a repeating rifle or shotgun and not a single shot or double rifle, although the double rifle is better than a single shot. If you do kill the bear, in Alaska at least, you will then almost certainly have to prove to the game wardens that it was indeed a matter of life or death, or you could land in jail with a fat fine to boot. I am speaking from experience on this point, if you do not believe me just talk to some people that live in the north country. A warning shot works quite often and could avoid wounding the bear (and making a bad situation worse) or worse, getting criminal charges for killing a big game animal if you can not prove that it was life or death. So I have to respectfully disagree on this point.

Please do continue,

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grrrr, there are so many 'likes' I would like to give, and this TN-app and my tablet won't let me. Oh well, y'all know who you are - regard likes as given!!!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Grrrr, there are so many 'likes' I would like to give, and this TN-app and my tablet won't let me. Oh well, y'all know who you are - regard likes as given!!!

Uh-huh sure Loke, we all know the truth of the matter is that you simply don't like a lot of these posts and are trying to deflect any suspicions by blaming it on the tablet! :tongue3: (haha) I hope all is well with you, looking forward to seeing you soon!

Please do continue;
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tip that I have heard from very experienced hunters , is , if you have a new gun or you have clean your gun recently , before go in the woods , shot twice to a target for training or fun . The smell of the gunpowder in the barrel will keep the bear away from you .

And , happy birthday Ditlihi ! I wish you health and whatever you desire !

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to disagree with that statement about black powder not being comparable to "anything" in modern smokeless powder ammunition. For an example, a 2 bore rifle packs more punch than ANY smokeless rifle or shotgun bar none, and is black powder only. The old 75 caliber Dragoon pistol packs more punch than any modern handgun caliber, and the Colt Dragoon loaded to max capacity is right up with a 44 magnum. You can get impressive performance from black powders, it just takes a bit more.

Well, Oro, as is usual with you, I can’t make any mistakes. This is actually a compliment to you, and I want to thank you for keeping me on my toes. You are absolutely correct in that there are some powerful black powder cartridges (and muzzle loaders as well). I would have to say that the .50 Barrett probably out performs any of them, including the 2 bore, in punch, stopping power, penetration, range and accuracy, even though it does have slightly less muzzle energy than the 2 bore. Muzzle energy isn’t everything, and neither is velocity. However, none of us are likely to carry a .50 Barrett around, no matter how effective. Not many people used the 2 bore, either. One of my favorites in black powder is the .50-90 Sharps or the even larger .50-140 Sharps, but that doesn't mean that I would want to rely on them for a life and death situation. IMHO, overall, modern smokeless cartridges will ALWAYS outperform black powder, when you take all factors into account (velocity, muzzle energy, recoil, retained energy down range, trajectory, accuracy, etc.). There is a reason that everybody went to smokeless, and it wasn’t only because black powder makes for dirty guns and lots of smoke…..

Don Jose has mentioned damaged and blood shot meat, which is a negative if you are hunting for food, and is a result of the velocity of most modern cartridges. However, that is not an issue if you are trying to keep from being eaten. Who cares if the meat is blood shot, if the critter is no longer trying to eat you.......

Coffee for everyone? :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread