Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shorty finger, get it caught in a 45 slide function ??? Yep I consider myself as middle aged, but nature is argueing with me. Wevwill see who is right,

Nope. not that I haven't had some experience with the model 1911, just didn't lose my fingertip that way. By the way, I also prefer the .357 Magnum, but mine is a Colt 6" barrel, and I prefer the 125 grain hollow tips....but, like I said before, everybody to his own.

JB

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true short, for humans that is a good load, but for BAR you need penetration. how about a serving of sour dough hotcakes with clover honey ?Be here in the morning :laughing7:

Now for a Colt for Bar, how about a 44 Colt Dragoon ?? It had a loading equal to a 45 70 carbine load.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Spending one complete winter in AK. Makes one eligible to be called a " sourdough".
Big differences in winter and light across such a region. There is a banana belt though.
No light and plenty snow for a long time elsewhere.....polar bear in the dark and snow.......a friends account near a base where folks were rumored to jumped out windows ... and bears loitered waiting for greater ice pack cured me of any urge to visit him in winter.
.44 mag. Wheelgun or greater, at least a short twelve pump with slugs for handshakin range , and I still wouldn't like it........

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A woman after my own heart. I got myself in trouble with a forest ranger in the Sierras when I suggested they would have less of a bear problem if we took a more pro-active approach to controlling them. I suggested that we use the .44 Magnum, but I allowed there were other calibers that would be effective as well.....

Can't think of anything else to do on the long cold nights? Oh, well, everyone to his or her own.

:laughing7::laughing7:

Seriously, do stay in touch. we need the ocasional female perspective on these pages. It seems to be pretty well dominated by all of us old.....whatever we are. I suppose that Don Jose would consider himself middle aged, but I know i'm old.

JB

My show and tell is limited to weaponry, Sir Scalawag....my fireworks do not belong in the public domain. 8-)

It has been my pleasure sharing the feminine viewpoint with you rascals, even from 10 paces behind. :tongue3:
Probably a good thing though, as a few of your shins would be quite sore by now. :laughing7:

Hey Dit, a 12 gauge with 00 isn't the ideal bear load, far better with Breneke slugs, and have you practiced much with the 450 ? most are recoil shy with anything from a .357 on up. I prefer my S^W .357 with a 4 " barrel with Keith long range front sights,and semi wadcutter solids for penetration, With this I am almost guaranteed a hit on a human sized targets to 500 meters, recoil is very mild and it has the penetrating power.Also if you plan to be away from a source of supply for a long time, there is the problem of weight, if sufficient ammo is taken along. Why we went to .22's on that trip to the Yucatan, sides a fairly common calibre makes very good trading materiel :laughing7:

Have the adventure of your life gal, even the uncomfortable ones count in your memories. Oro can vouch for this. Incidentally he can outrun a sow, with cubs. has done it Ask Beth.

Incidentally, no pistol even equals a hard thrown baseball in energy, so forget energy figures. Proof, get a 25 lb sack and fill it with sand, stand it on its end, the shoot into it, did it even move or wriggle a bit???.

:occasion14:

Sir Tayopa, my intent was to get as much lead as possible into the beast.....NOT play catch with him. A slug has more stopping power, true....but requires accuracy to be effective. The 00 not so much, and I doubt my aim would be too steady at a dead run. The Casull is for backup, should the pump fail to do the job.....after I'm up the tree, of course. :tongue3:

Sourdough Ditlihi? Could happen......
Have a grand adventure.

Sourdough....in those temps? Frybread! The only way to go. You can pack it anywhere ( even up a tree ) and it lasts forever ( well, almost ). :icon_thumright:

:coffee2:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hI lUV, IN PARTICULARLY COLD WEATHER YOU SOMETIMES HAVE TO TAKE YOUR SOURDOUGH STARTER TO BED WIT YOU FOR IT TO WORK PROPERLY.`

WHAT'S THIS FRY BREAD ? SOUNDS LIKE A SOUTHERN MONSTROSITY.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Frybread crepes will keep well in below zero temps.
Too far north and it may be a bring your own tree though...My jumbo night lite/ surplus aircraft search lite would be enough to tote ,let alone a sequoia.:laughing7:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hey Dit, a 12 gauge with 00 isn't the ideal bear load, far better with Breneke slugs, and have you practiced much with the 450 ? most are recoil shy with anything from a .357 on up. I prefer my S^W .357 with a 4 " barrel with Keith long range front sights,and semi wadcutter solids for penetration, With this I am almost guaranteed a hit on a human sized targets to 500 meters, recoil is very mild and it has the penetrating power.Also if you plan to be away from a source of supply for a long time, there is the problem of weight, if sufficient ammo is taken along. Why we went to .22's on that trip to the Yucatan, sides a fairly common calibre makes very good trading materiel :laughing7:

Have the adventure of your life gal, even the uncomfortable ones count in your memories. Oro can vouch for this. Incidentally he can outrun a sow, with cubs. has done it Ask Beth.

Incidentally, no pistol even equals a hard thrown baseball in energy, so forget energy figures. Proof, get a 25 lb sack and fill it with sand, stand it on its end, the shoot into it, did it even move or wriggle a bit???.

:occasion14:

Well that story does not tell as well as the one where I fought the sow bear off with a stick. Yes this avocation of treasure hunting can lead to some real adventures, even by the Patrick F. McManus definition; for those whom do not recall this famous and highly accurate definition, here it is:

Adventure: - noun; a term which describes any experience, that when you are in the middle of it, you wonder how in HE11 you will ever get OUT of!

Please do continue, and to our mutual amiga Ditlihi - please no 'Sir' for me, have not had that moniker since my 23rd incarnation, just a mere 'enlisted' ever since. Don't forget to drop in on us here if for no other reason than to keep us from getting out of hand! :laughing7: Good luck to you and never worry about the bears, heck even a little 22 rimfire or a walking stick will do to cripple up your partner so you can run faster than your partner! On a serious note, do try to make it a habit to always be talking, singing, even whistling and making noise while moving through the brush or even open country, so that you will not surprise bears that you might not see. As you know they will generally try to stay out of your way, so long as they know you are coming well before you get there. Not always of course, especially where a large kill (food) or for a sow protecting cubs but even in those cases if they hear you are moving toward them often they will get out of your way. And never try to outrun a bear, they can outrun a horse! You probably know all this already or would not be heading north, just for anyone else reading our posts that might not know.

Keep 'em coming amigos; :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh a fellow Mcmanus reader!
His accounting of a portable night lite inspired mine........:laughing7:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true short, for humans that is a good load, but for BAR you need penetration. how about a serving of sour dough hotcakes with clover honey ?Be here in the morning :laughing7:

Now for a Colt for Bar, how about a 44 Colt Dragoon ?? It had a loading equal to a 45 70 carbine load.

Agreed. I personally think the .357 is a little undersized for bear, no matter what the load. The Dragoon does have some possibilities, but I think Dit's Casull or the .44 Mag is more in line with what I would like to use for bear. Actually, I prefer the old standby, .375 H & H Magnum....Not as handy, but it packs quite a wallop.

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My show and tell is limited to weaponry, Sir Scalawag....my fireworks do not belong in the public domain. 8-)

It has been my pleasure sharing the feminine viewpoint with you rascals, even from 10 paces behind. :tongue3:
Probably a good thing though, as a few of your shins would be quite sore by now. :laughing7:

Sir Tayopa, my intent was to get as much lead as possible into the beast.....NOT play catch with him. A slug has more stopping power, true....but requires accuracy to be effective. The 00 not so much, and I doubt my aim would be too steady at a dead run. The Casull is for backup, should the pump fail to do the job.....after I'm up the tree, of course. :tongue3:

Sourdough....in those temps? Frybread! The only way to go. You can pack it anywhere ( even up a tree ) and it lasts forever ( well, almost ). :icon_thumright:

:coffee2:

Well, I'm not too worried about my shins. Us pirates wear high boots. I would like to point out, as ORO does, that I am not Sir anything, strictly enlisted. However, Scalawag or rascal are certainly more appropriate in most cases than "Voice of Reason"....

As far as the #00 buck goes, you might want to consider #1 buck. Standard load for #00 is 9 pellets, #1 is 15 pellets. #1 has good penetration (12" of ballistic gel), and you get 2/3 more pellets per shell. Slightly smaller holes, but a LOT more of them. Just something to think about.....

JB

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Shortfinger . I like to use 12 pellets copper plated . Not how i will not take with me the 9 pellets and the slugs . I put in the gun magazine the cartridges to fire in the order 12-9-1 . i believe nothing could reach you after this load .

SDC11707.JPG

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortfinger, your in my league now. The 375 HH with the originonal mod velocities will do just nicely. The new higher vel loads seem to have lost it somehow. Another interesting comb is the 45 70 lever action carbine, believe they call it the " Guide gun "

You'll do as a trail partner Short finger.:coffee2::coffee2:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius, the bars in Alasks run to 1500 lbs plus and 12 feet tall, takes a lot of penetration to reach the vitalse, specially when backed by huge claws and teeth/

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some where in my meager library is a bear book by Ben East that tells of the punishment a brownie can absorb. Basically ,till the brain runs out of oxygen the bear continues its objective. One account of a doctor and his friend , experienced with bears (Hosea Sarber )who was a wildlife warden tells of both members unloading high/large caliber rifles on one and the doctor describing the effect. One of the men may have had one round left? But the doctor said everyone who hunts bear should have seen that bear when opened up.

The tale that ensures my having no interest in being around grizzlies ( from a different source) is " death came running-twice" by guide Tom Jesiolowski as told to Bruce Brady.
After a several month recovery from a bear getting ahold of him , Tom set out with a client again.
A bear found their scent trail below in a valley and rather than clear out to avoid them, came on a run like a hound.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius, the bars in Alasks run to 1500 lbs plus and 12 feet tall, takes a lot of penetration to reach the vitalse, specially when backed by huge claws and teeth/

I was talking about the first three shots , because the magazine contains another three slugs . I can empty the magazine in only 2 sec with my semi auto shot gun .

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was talking about the first three shots , because the magazine contains another three slugs . I can empty the magazine in only 2 sec with my semi auto shot gun .

An old saying says save the last one for yourself.....
Not sure of AK. Regulations ,but magazine extentions are available for some models here.
For migratory birds/fowl we are restricted to three rounds , a plug is required /used for five round capacity magazines.

Last edited:

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortfinger, your in my league now. The 375 HH with the originonal mod velocities will do just nicely. The new higher vel loads seem to have lost it somehow. Another interesting comb is the 45 70 lever action carbine, believe they call it the " Guide gun "

You'll do as a trail partner Short finger.:coffee2::coffee2:

Thanks for the compliment, Don Jose. I doubt that i will ever be in your league, but I do have my good points. It can be hard to find them, as my wife is so fond of pointing out. I am not worthy. :notworthy::notworthy: However, if you will have me, I will walk trail with you any time.
I can talk cartridges and guns for quite a while, but I suppose I am somewhat old fashioned. I like big heavy bullets with not too much velocity. The .375 HH is somewhat slow compared to many of the "modern" cartridges, but, in a properly made gun, is relatively comfortable to shoot, and will stop just about anything when properly placed. The ballistics are similar to another of my favorites, the .30-06. I suspect that the .45-70 in a modern weapon with modern smokeless powder, would be a fine cartridge, although I have never shot one. :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, in deed. The really bad part is, when they are coming toward you, the target area is pretty small, and they have a thick skull which can deflect bullets and pellets......Standing up facing you, or sideways, not so bad.

JB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread