Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT,

The above comment you make reminds me of a court case I came across whilst in India.

I'd heard, whilst still in England, about an absolutely huge estate in the middle of New Delhi where prices are about, or even more, expensive than New York, London, Tokyo and suchlike. This estate was truly humongous and belonged to a former maharajah. The estate was simply locked-up after his death and the caretaker given the keys whilst the ownership was contested in the courts. Now this palace, had a fleet of the most amazing vintage luxury automobiles, art from across the globe, furniture from the best craftsmen the world has offered, jewellery and fashionwear from the greatest shopping houses in Europe, and there it was - simply covered and 'rotting' away...

It all started when India became independent from the Britishers in 1947. Most maharajahs lost their fortunes, estates and privileges. Note I said "most". This particular chap somehow retained his fortune and properties across the country. He had three daughters and an heir to the throne. Unfortunately, the son and heir died in an automobile accident in the early 1980s. Mr maharajah feel into a deep depression and stopped taking care of himself. He died shortly after as well.

His maharani and three princesses believed that they'd inherit husband's and daddy's wealth as there were next in line. Apparently the maharajah's court officials had other ideas and, it is alleged, forged a will giving themselves sole control with a small monthly allowance to the queeny and princesses ��.

They contested that the 'will' was forged and that the maharajah had been duped, confidence tricked and coerced into not making a new will for the females of his family after the son had died. To cut a long story short, decades later, queeny died in frustration never seeing any resolution, one of the daughters died and the two left are now in their 80s and have finally won the battle over their father's fortune of about £2,500,000,000 or nearly $3.5 Billion.

Unfortunately it doesn't end there...

Obviously the court officials couldn't "touch" the fixed properties and assets like the gems, jewels etc., however the cold hard cash which the maharajahs used to keep literally in high piles in their treasuries, nobody seems to know how much is left or where it went or how much the lawyers claimed over the decades long civil case...

IPUK

NB. There is another such case involving double-dealings of a Nizam from the days of the Mughals in India and this chap was the richest man in the world in the 1930s, and even saw fit to use a £50,000,000 ($60Million) diamond as a paperweight in his study. He was rather fond of the ladies and literally had hundreds of children who all made a claim to his wealth after his death in the 1960s...

That is quite a story IPUK....sad to see how far Human greed can go...It also shows once again the potential of India for its endless treasure yarns..8-)
Thanks !
p.s..by the way do u remember a yarn Crow once gave us to look deeper(actually part if a list)concerning a lost british plane shipments of gold somewhere in west Africa in Ghana or around?I recall trying to research it from old newspapers but couldn't find much except scanty news excrepts ...have u looked further on it?does it sound a possibility to u?
TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true, TT, very true - India has enormous potential when it comes to possible treasure and wealth...

About EL Crow and the one we discussed back then, I did actually dig a 'lil further into that one. It was an interesting story and there wasn't much around. Apparently Hard Luck had delved and dug into it with some assistance from various homeys from another treasure site. When I did some research, unfortunately, the area that the plane could have been in, is thousands of square miles of ocean, jungle or brush. If we take the search for MH370 into account and the resources invested therein, unless you've got an organised and well-equipped outfit with a more specific idea of its possible location, you could spend a lifetime and never even scratch the surface.

What's the betting the mischievous Trio and Amy had a likkle, likkle bit of extra info on the story, me thinks...:laughing7:

But, as a result, a came across a gold-bearing area in Ghana called the "Ashanti Belt" which is producing solid results and the Brits, Chinese and Indians are making solid returns. I was seriously considering making a trip out there but other priorities came to the fore.

The story also gave me an insight into how thorough and the obscure stories from yesteryear are the ones, that the Quartet focus on. No "populist" and "fancy" legends or 'stories' from mass produced books; more old newspaper snippets about individuals, local lore about eccentric folks or wealthy but little known people no longer around, payrolls and collective treasures from groups/crews/settlers that was dispersed/cached/stored during times of trouble and strife. They get at the source and make sure each and every project ticks all criteria points before making a single move...

Suppose we could all note the modus operandi of the professionals...:occasion14:

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true, TT, very true - India has enormous potential when it comes to possible treasure and wealth...

About EL Crow and the one we discussed back then, I did actually dig a 'lil further into that one. It was an interesting story and there wasn't much around. Apparently Hard Luck had delved and dug into it with some assistance from various homeys from another treasure site. When I did some research, unfortunately, the area that the plane could have been in, is thousands of square miles of ocean, jungle or brush. If we take the search for MH370 into account and the resources invested therein, unless you've got an organised and well-equipped outfit with a more specific idea of its possible location, you could spend a lifetime and never even scratch the surface.

What's the betting the mischievous Trio and Amy had a likkle, likkle bit of extra info on the story, me thinks...:laughing7:

But, as a result, a came across a gold-bearing area in Ghana called the "Ashanti Belt" which is producing solid results and the Brits, Chinese and Indians are making solid returns. I was seriously considering making a trip out there but other priorities came to the fore.

The story also gave me an insight into how thorough and the obscure stories from yesteryear are the ones, that the Quartet focus on. No "populist" and "fancy" legends or 'stories' from mass produced books; more old newspaper snippets about individuals, local lore about eccentric folks or wealthy but little known people no longer around, payrolls and collective treasures from groups/crews/settlers that was dispersed/cached/stored during times of trouble and strife. They get at the source and make sure each and every project ticks all criteria points before making a single move...

Suppose we could all note the modus operandi of the professionals...:occasion14:

IPUK

Thanks IPUK...quite true...the trio don't move unless they see some potential...
I am sure the British colonial authorities did some search before giving up...those primary reports would have been valuable though difficult to get....I think there was an American connection to it as well...
Otherwise it would be the stuff for armchair THs to browse on google earth with the hope of seeing some camouflaged metal in the west African jungle...8-)
TT

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All

While not being a Treasure hunter, I am still in some respect a business man. However reading through some excellent posts here. I think what ever you do, You have approach and treasure legends like a business proposition. Which means very carefully research for the facts and then take a careful analysis of risk factor versus success factor. Not just in finding it but actually getting to keep it.

I believe there is an old saying the Dice in your favor is the key to winning. I believe this trio you mention subscribes to that line of thought. Find ways to lower risk factors before committing themselves in a project.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT,

The above comment you make reminds me of a court case I came across whilst in India.

I'd heard, whilst still in England, about an absolutely huge estate in the middle of New Delhi where prices are about, or even more, expensive than New York, London, Tokyo and suchlike. This estate was truly humongous and belonged to a former maharajah. The estate was simply locked-up after his death and the caretaker given the keys whilst the ownership was contested in the courts. Now this palace, had a fleet of the most amazing vintage luxury automobiles, art from across the globe, furniture from the best craftsmen the world has offered, jewellery and fashionwear from the greatest shopping houses in Europe, and there it was - simply covered and 'rotting' away...

It all started when India became independent from the Britishers in 1947. Most maharajahs lost their fortunes, estates and privileges. Note I said "most". This particular chap somehow retained his fortune and properties across the country. He had three daughters and an heir to the throne. Unfortunately, the son and heir died in an automobile accident in the early 1980s. Mr maharajah feel into a deep depression and stopped taking care of himself. He died shortly after as well.

His maharani and three princesses believed that they'd inherit husband's and daddy's wealth as there were next in line. Apparently the maharajah's court officials had other ideas and, it is alleged, forged a will giving themselves sole control with a small monthly allowance to the queeny and princesses ��.

They contested that the 'will' was forged and that the maharajah had been duped, confidence tricked and coerced into not making a new will for the females of his family after the son had died. To cut a long story short, decades later, queeny died in frustration never seeing any resolution, one of the daughters died and the two left are now in their 80s and have finally won the battle over their father's fortune of about £2,500,000,000 or nearly $3.5 Billion.

Unfortunately it doesn't end there...

Obviously the court officials couldn't "touch" the fixed properties and assets like the gems, jewels etc., however the cold hard cash which the maharajahs used to keep literally in high piles in their treasuries, nobody seems to know how much is left or where it went or how much the lawyers claimed over the decades long civil case...

IPUK

NB. There is another such case involving double-dealings of a Nizam from the days of the Mughals in India and this chap was the richest man in the world in the 1930s, and even saw fit to use a £50,000,000 ($60Million) diamond as a paperweight in his study. He was rather fond of the ladies and literally had hundreds of children who all made a claim to his wealth after his death in the 1960s...

IPUK

Amazing story I imagine there would be thousands of treasure hoards in India.

Mal

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT

So you looking into collecting antiques?

Mal

Hi MAL....I am exploring the issues and possiblities of treasure hunt in terms of finding rare art/antiques amidst second hand goods...I am just in the learning phase hence only a generalist interest at the moment though some genre of antiques are attracting me more than others...I have some good books to read and also go out to train my eye to various places like museums, antique shops etc...It is quite interesting as you learn history in the process..
TT

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT Florida is worse than most. 80% or more if within 12 miles if I remember correctly. They tried to make it 13 miles after Mel Fisher find at 12 &1/2 miles off shore, "Retroactive" to include his find. That one got tossed out, but the Feds came in and took about 1/2 from him as "Historical Artifacts". It's what we get for electing crooks. LOL

AU

I think that would be universal story. In most countries treasure hunters are seen as eccentrics and treated like the village idiot until....

They actually find some thing..... then of course they are then seen as the evil one who steals from the nation....

After all authorities hate the peasants bettering themselves outside of their control do they not?

In Chile years ago and American was obsessed in looking for treasure on Juan Fernandez. They allowed him to dig his site but only with a hand shovel yet the neighbor was allowed to dig up their garden in the process of home improvements with an excavator. ironic is it not?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MAL....I am exploring the issues and possiblities of treasure hunt in terms of finding rare art/antiques amidst second hand goods...I am just in the learning phase hence only a generalist interest at the moment though some genre of antiques are attracting me more than others...I have some good books to read and also go out to train my eye to various places like museums, antique shops etc...It is quite interesting as you learn history in the process..
TT

TT Well there are people who do very well in the Antiques business. The more you learn the more you research the better you will get. Many a rare treasure has been found in a junk shop. It seems you are on track of an interesting career.

Mal

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT Well there are people who do very well in the Antiques business. The more you learn the more you research the better you will get. Many a rare treasure has been found in a junk shop. It seems you are on track of an interesting career.

Mal
Mal ...true..it has huge potential though I am not into it as career yet..just studying it from the side to see possibilities..my interests are not in antique dealing but rather in rare antique searchings like treasure hunt...however the largly unregulated art/antique world from what I understood so far is a cloak and dagger world with mine fields of fake deceptions, intrigue, backdoor politics and protocol of secrecy ...many stolen materials also abound...hence one needs to be careful in many fronts..
TT

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal ...true..it has huge potential though I am not into it as career yet..just studying it from the side to see possibilities..my interests are not in antique dealing but rather in rare antique searchings like treasure hunt...however the largly unregulated art/antique world from what I understood so far is a cloak and dagger world with mine fields of fake deceptions, intrigue, backdoor politics and protocol of secrecy ...many stolen materials also abound...hence one needs to be careful in many fronts..
TT

Hey TT,

Reminds me of a family - elderly parents and their bachelor son in his late 40s, who made a mockery and fool of the so-called "experts" for many years with outrageous forgeries here in England:

Family of forgers fooled art world with array of finely crafted fakes | The Independent

They got undone by their greed and a 'mistake' on one of their fakes...

IPUK

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPUK

Amazing story I imagine there would be thousands of treasure hoards in India.

Mal

There sure is, SSM.

Even in ancient times, one of the Greek scholars (can't recall which one from the top of my head), said that India was a "sink" for the world's supply of gold as they loved to hoard it, and once they'd secured it by burying or secreting it in the earth, it was highly unlikely to ever get used or traded ever again...

Even today, in the towns, villages and incredibly some large cities, families will turn their wealth into gold bars, coins or jewellery and hoard it. Recently there has been a currency issue and the government has been cracking down big-style on undeclared income and tax evasion. This has resulted in the price of gold being increased across the globe, such is the appetite for the shiny stuff there...

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT,

Reminds me of a family - elderly parents and their bachelor son in his late 40s, who made a mockery and fool of the so-called "experts" for many years with outrageous forgeries here in England:

Family of forgers fooled art world with array of finely crafted fakes | The Independent

They got undone by their greed and a 'mistake' on one of their fakes...

IPUK
Yeah IPUK,,,I have read about this enterprising family of forgers...the amazing thing is they were into all branches of antique and arts even including ancient antiquities! The other thing is they avoided high selling items ( called high art by mainstream people and headache art by thieves :)) and concentrated on middle priced antiques to get their profit from volume without raising eyebrows...quite a strategy.
Here are some other names from the forgery world that have put to shame the experts...
Han van Meegeren
Eric Hebborn
Tom keating
Elmyr de Hory
John myatt
Shaun Greenhalgh

TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may folks, I'd like to give the weekly yarn today rather than tomorrow(Friday) as per usual, as I am not sure I'll get the opportunity.

Today, let's pay a visit to that still "mysterious" continent of Africa that still holds plenty of secrets and is the subject of much interest from European international companies, and increasingly, Chinese wealth and influence.

In present-day Zimbabwe, in the latter part of 19th century, live an African King with a large, disciplined army and the borders of his territory extended all round to touch, near enough, the territories of the colonial British, Portuguese, Belgians and at some distance the Germans and Boers. This king was ruling over a vast area which his father had secured after he'd had a disagreement with Shaka Zulu, and as a leading General in the latter's conquests, had managed to form his own kingdom. The father had been acknowledged as a brave, clever and wise ruler who had bequeathed a stable and strong land to his son. Now the son was no slouch but lacked the foresight and diplomacy of his father.

At the time, the then great European powers were vying for access to the mineral wealth, highly fertile and huge lands still in the control of native people. The incumbent king knew that a reckoning was coming but tried his best to delay the inevitable. He had a super-disciplined and experienced army at his disposal but realised that shield and assegai was no match for repeating rifles and the Maxim gun.

Many representatives and delegations were sent to kingy's kraal - usually under the guise of "peaceful missionary purposes" - to 'persuade' kingy to let whitey onto his lands for mining and farming purposes. Now this chap wasn't a king simply because he could consume more beef and beer than others (which he certainly could from contemporary accounts), but he was intelligent enough to disseminate the reports he got back from his young warriors who had gone to work in present-day South Africa in the diamond and gold mines already there, and how slowly but surely whitey took a foothold and then eliminated any obstacle in his path...

Kingy was remarked " Have you ever seen how patiently a chameleon waits to capture a fly?...It waits behind it and moves one foot ahead of the other without making a sound and then consumes the fly without it ever knowing what has happened!!...I am the fly and the British are the chameleon..."
To prepare for the coming time, kingy took a young mixed-race secretary who spoke fluent English and Dutch, and was Aldo educated in the ways of European intrigue. One way in which Kingy continued to exert influence was to strictly monitor who was coming and going in his country and never granting any mining concessions...
He knew full well that the status quo could not continue.

In about 1892, Kingy prepared for the inevitable hostilities and decided to secure his treasure. Old Kingy had three tin cans of uncut diamonds which his young subjects had smuggled out from the Kimberley mines and presented to their king as they knew what value whitey placed on them. Also, he had a stockpile of ivory and sacks full of Dutch and English pure gold sovereigns that had been paid to him by those crossing or staying for short periods, in his country. He knew that once any war waged was lost, the Europeans would demand "reparations" for his 'audacity' in trying to repel the invaders. He decided on hiding in wealth far from prying eyes and in a place the colonialists would never recover the hoard. Without notice, he gave orders for two oxen-led carts, one for himself and his treasure (which was stored in two saves bought by the secretary in Kimberley which was verified and checked by a later treasure hunter in the 1930s), and the other for the secretary and four headmen and a detail of 14 warriors to trail the carts as carriers of supplies and bodyguards.

After a trek of many days in a north-easterly direction crossing the Zambezi river and reaching remote bush, Kingy decided that was the ideal location to hide the goodies. The 14 warriors were detailed to dig a hole large enough for the two safes. They did as instructed. Later that night, Kingy ordered his four headmen to assegai the 14 warriors so the secret would have less chance of being revealed. They also did as commanded but some warriors managed to escape in the confusion, into the night. The Kingy, his secretary and the four headmen made their way back to the kraal and inevitable war with the Britishers. The secretary had tried his utmost to council against it, but the influential headmen persuaded Kingy that as brave warriors, they needed to make a stand against the blatant invasion and aggression by the outsiders. No the native braves were no pushovers; they one jogged - yes jogged!! - 60 miles when making war, but they simply were no match for the weaponry directed against them and it was a rout in the end.

Kingy made escape with his secretary and a few remaining warriors hoping to seek sanctuary in present-day Zambia with yet other native people. He never made it and died en-route. This last group were pursued and attacked by soldiers sent by Cecil Rhodes to "finish the job."

Secretary was kicked out of then Rhodesia and the remaining few warriors and peeps captured or killed.

Now, it is fair to say where did the treasure story emanate from?

Two sources - the conquerors were frustrated in trying to locate erstwhile kingy's treasure as they found nothing and knew he possessed great wealth, and in the 1930s, a certain elderly mixed-race gentleman came forward with an interesting and intriguing story...

After being expelled and told never to return, Mr Secretary did make several attempts to return with a few folk in tow but was refused entry, caught trying to enter illegally and sent to prison doing hard labour, when discovered in the country. By the 1930s, secretary was an old man in his seventies and was unable to make anymore attempts to visit the remote location himself. He told the story to an Englishman and agreed to a division of the spoils. English set out to arrange an expedition forthwith. Secretary also gave the name of the one headman who was still living and was part of the group who were with Kingy when the treasure was buried. English set about tracking down the old headman who was about fifty at the time of burying the treasure but must have been ninety or so in the early 1930s.

After asking around and visiting many villages, English came across someone who recognised the name. He was informed that this old chap lived a few days travel away. English immediately set out with high hopes. Sure enough he met a still fit and young looking chap and before discussing any treasure with him, he treated him for a skin condition which was greatly distressing him. When he had his confidence, he broached the subject of Kingy's treasure of offered a hundred gold sovereigns in order to be shown the route. The African chap said "you are after someone else who shares my name and was a leading headman for the last native king. I am not sure if he is alive but his village is some days away." Again, English set off with hope and frustration in equal measure. He tracked down the headman who was still alive, and when he mentioned Kingy's name, the headman simply smiled. A female member of the family said that headman was one of Kingy's top boys but due to his age, he had lost his memory and did not communicate anymore...

English returned to Secretary. Secretary gave more details of the route taken, but the area involved was unmapped clearly at the time so Secretary couldn't be that more clearer and really needed to be there...

This is how the alleged story finishes...

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I may folks, I'd like to give the weekly yarn today rather than tomorrow(Friday) as per usual, as I am not sure I'll get the opportunity.

Today, let's pay a visit to that still "mysterious" continent of Africa that still holds plenty of secrets and is the subject of much interest from European international companies, and increasingly, Chinese wealth and influence.

In present-day Zimbabwe, in the latter part of 19th century, live an African King with a large, disciplined army and the borders of his territory extended all round to touch, near enough, the territories of the colonial British, Portuguese, Belgians and at some distance the Germans and Boers. This king was ruling over a vast area which his father had secured after he'd had a disagreement with Shaka Zulu, and as a leading General in the latter's conquests, had managed to form his own kingdom. The father had been acknowledged as a brave, clever and wise ruler who had bequeathed a stable and strong land to his son. Now the son was no slouch but lacked the foresight and diplomacy of his father.

At the time, the then great European powers were vying for access to the mineral wealth, highly fertile and huge lands still in the control of native people. The incumbent king knew that a reckoning was coming but tried his best to delay the inevitable. He had a super-disciplined and experienced army at his disposal but realised that shield and assegai was no match for repeating rifles and the Maxim gun.

Many representatives and delegations were sent to kingy's kraal - usually under the guise of "peaceful missionary purposes" - to 'persuade' kingy to let whitey onto his lands for mining and farming purposes. Now this chap wasn't a king simply because he could consume more beef and beer than others (which he certainly could from contemporary accounts), but he was intelligent enough to disseminate the reports he got back from his young warriors who had gone to work in present-day South Africa in the diamond and gold mines already there, and how slowly but surely whitey took a foothold and then eliminated any obstacle in his path...

Kingy was remarked " Have you ever seen how patiently a chameleon waits to capture a fly?...It waits behind it and moves one foot ahead of the other without making a sound and then consumes the fly without it ever knowing what has happened!!...I am the fly and the British are the chameleon..."
To prepare for the coming time, kingy took a young mixed-race secretary who spoke fluent English and Dutch, and was Aldo educated in the ways of European intrigue. One way in which Kingy continued to exert influence was to strictly monitor who was coming and going in his country and never granting any mining concessions...
He knew full well that the status quo could not continue.

In about 1892, Kingy prepared for the inevitable hostilities and decided to secure his treasure. Old Kingy had three tin cans of uncut diamonds which his young subjects had smuggled out from the Kimberley mines and presented to their king as they knew what value whitey placed on them. Also, he had a stockpile of ivory and sacks full of Dutch and English pure gold sovereigns that had been paid to him by those crossing or staying for short periods, in his country. He knew that once any war waged was lost, the Europeans would demand "reparations" for his 'audacity' in trying to repel the invaders. He decided on hiding in wealth far from prying eyes and in a place the colonialists would never recover the hoard. Without notice, he gave orders for two oxen-led carts, one for himself and his treasure (which was stored in two saves bought by the secretary in Kimberley which was verified and checked by a later treasure hunter in the 1930s), and the other for the secretary and four headmen and a detail of 14 warriors to trail the carts as carriers of supplies and bodyguards.

After a trek of many days in a north-easterly direction crossing the Zambezi river and reaching remote bush, Kingy decided that was the ideal location to hide the goodies. The 14 warriors were detailed to dig a hole large enough for the two safes. They did as instructed. Later that night, Kingy ordered his four headmen to assegai the 14 warriors so the secret would have less chance of being revealed. They also did as commanded but some warriors managed to escape in the confusion, into the night. The Kingy, his secretary and the four headmen made their way back to the kraal and inevitable war with the Britishers. The secretary had tried his utmost to council against it, but the influential headmen persuaded Kingy that as brave warriors, they needed to make a stand against the blatant invasion and aggression by the outsiders. No the native braves were no pushovers; they one jogged - yes jogged!! - 60 miles when making war, but they simply were no match for the weaponry directed against them and it was a rout in the end.

Kingy made escape with his secretary and a few remaining warriors hoping to seek sanctuary in present-day Zambia with yet other native people. He never made it and died en-route. This last group were pursued and attacked by soldiers sent by Cecil Rhodes to "finish the job."

Secretary was kicked out of then Rhodesia and the remaining few warriors and peeps captured or killed.

Now, it is fair to say where did the treasure story emanate from?

Two sources - the conquerors were frustrated in trying to locate erstwhile kingy's treasure as they found nothing and knew he possessed great wealth, and in the 1930s, a certain elderly mixed-race gentleman came forward with an interesting and intriguing story...

After being expelled and told never to return, Mr Secretary did make several attempts to return with a few folk in tow but was refused entry, caught trying to enter illegally and sent to prison doing hard labour, when discovered in the country. By the 1930s, secretary was an old man in his seventies and was unable to make anymore attempts to visit the remote location himself. He told the story to an Englishman and agreed to a division of the spoils. English set out to arrange an expedition forthwith. Secretary also gave the name of the one headman who was still living and was part of the group who were with Kingy when the treasure was buried. English set about tracking down the old headman who was about fifty at the time of burying the treasure but must have been ninety or so in the early 1930s.

After asking around and visiting many villages, English came across someone who recognised the name. He was informed that this old chap lived a few days travel away. English immediately set out with high hopes. Sure enough he met a still fit and young looking chap and before discussing any treasure with him, he treated him for a skin condition which was greatly distressing him. When he had his confidence, he broached the subject of Kingy's treasure of offered a hundred gold sovereigns in order to be shown the route. The African chap said "you are after someone else who shares my name and was a leading headman for the last native king. I am not sure if he is alive but his village is some days away." Again, English set off with hope and frustration in equal measure. He tracked down the headman who was still alive, and when he mentioned Kingy's name, the headman simply smiled. A female member of the family said that headman was one of Kingy's top boys but due to his age, he had lost his memory and did not communicate anymore...

English returned to Secretary. Secretary gave more details of the route taken, but the area involved was unmapped clearly at the time so Secretary couldn't be that more clearer and really needed to be there...

This is how the alleged story finishes...

IPUK

Thanks IPUK...I read a brief story on this treasure sometime back but you gave us a broad and lively background story which I think is quite important ....I wonder if there was any recent attempts...8-)
Thanks!
TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IPUK...I read a brief story on this treasure sometime back but you gave us a broad and lively background story which I think is quite important ....I wonder if there was any recent attempts...8-)
Thanks!
TT

That's quite alright, TT, I actually like relating some of the interesting stories that I've come across.

Hopefully, the best are yet to come and, perhaps, I will be in a position to give a more detailed and accurate description due to possibly being 'present'...

As far as the African story goes, there has been some searches - a chap alleges that he has information that Kingy actually took his treasure with him on his final flight away from the invading British and stashed it in a cave, although he refuses to give any details. Some African groups have searched high and low, but simply tearing around the bush and digging "here" and "there" doesn't really offer much chance of success.

Oh well, we move on to the next one...

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPUK..thanks..by the way what is your opinion on the gold vs silver debate? Some think even though silver is underpriced currently,it sure will be more valuable in the long run...any ideas? It seems there is silver as well as gold hoarding underway ...especially gold in China...8-)
TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IPUK..thanks..by the way what is your opinion on the gold vs silver debate? Some think even though silver is underpriced currently,it sure will be more valuable in the long run...any ideas? It seems there is silver as well as gold hoarding underway ...especially gold in China...8-)
TT

Good question, TT.

The old Spanish conquistadors were after plata just as much as gold. In fact, the value was about the same in those days...

In my opinion, the drivers for gold will be the Indians and Chinese. About 1.5 billion middle-class peeps wanting to have a sum of it to complement their executive cars, homes and other material goods. The idea of holding gold for them is twofold; It is still considered a status symbol and at the back of the mind, the thought persists that when paper money, the economy is on a downward trajectory, gold will always head north...

That was my last project - 'assisting' some Indians setup a buying facility for gold from South America..., the appetite in India for gold is insatiable. The government there has had to impose strict controls on imports with huge tariffs as there was a national deficit due to the populace spending so much abroad acquiring the stuff...

South Africa was the biggest gold mining country by far. Now it's China. Go most places where it is being mined...you'll usually find groups of Chinese miners, dealers and even government officials trying to make moves...

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, TT.

The old Spanish conquistadors were after plata just as much as gold. In fact, the value was about the same in those days...

In my opinion, the drivers for gold will be the Indians and Chinese. About 1.5 billion middle-class peeps wanting to have a sum of it to complement their executive cars, homes and other material goods. The idea of holding gold for them is twofold; It is still considered a status symbol and at the back of the mind, the thought persists that when paper money, the economy is on a downward trajectory, gold will always head north...

That was my last project - 'assisting' some Indians setup a buying facility for gold from South America..., the appetite in India for gold is insatiable. The government there has had to impose strict controls on imports with huge tariffs as there was a national deficit due to the populace spending so much abroad acquiring the stuff...

South Africa was the biggest gold mining country by far. Now it's China. Go most places where it is being mined...you'll usually find groups of Chinese miners, dealers and even government officials trying to make moves...

IPUK

Quite an interesting dynamics IPUK...if the Chinese hoard as well as mine gold in huge amounts pretty soon they unilaterally could control the global spot price like the way the arabs do to oil...8-)....but silver is headed for big time or what?...there seems to be something cooking if you see how the dealers act..8-)

TT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions