Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT,

Government/ civil service jobs are highly prized in India. Families will go through incredible personal and financial hardships to get a member into such positions. Once there, they will ensure that they are 'rewarded' for all the years of toil and pain. It is about making your position 'work' for you. It is accepted by the vast majority and acknowledged that either you provide a little 'gift' or you get stuck.

Many folk I came into contact with promised to 'smooth' things along with local bureaucrats, police and community elders, and it was quite an organised system where everyone has a stake and will protect their role and income. It is only if one is not used to such 'procedures' does it get slightly testing at times.

IPUK

I think you learning invaluable understanding of how the process works not just in India but all around the Globe. Many treasure hunters focus on the skills and process to search for treasure very few think about what happens next?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course I am aware of the greasing protocol around the globe...I just was fascinated by the way it is said in India .."come back next week" :)...
But once someone tried to explain to me that according to him there is a difference between bribing someone and greasing someone..but I found that distinction hard to swallow..8-)
TT

"Bribery" is such a dirty word but Evey corporation does it regardless of admitting to it. In politically correct world its not a bribe but a consultancy fee.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont be sure always about that Mal...so called backers could also sit behind the curtains like a Dr No...you only see their money not their face..
TT

True... But I think one has the careful who they are getting in bed With?

For example would you take money from a Colombian drug cartel to fiance a treasure hunting expedition?

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several year ago my ship that I was on was doing Panama to Valparaiso run. I spent quite a lot of time in Panama City. It was awash with illegal funds looking to get laundered. A few times I had offers of unscrupulous business deals... If i was in the laundry business of course. They estimate 300 billion gets laundered every year through various companies with over inflated inventories and transactions around the globe.

For example your company begins make huge profits with outside money being pumped through your company. The deal is 10% pumped through become yours and profit is written off back through various goods and services thus launder the source of the original money.... And if you look on the scale of things say 100 million through your company and ten million in your pocket. You can see how enticing it is....for many.

There in many a luxury yacht in panama paid for this way....

But for me I think I rather keep my dingy :-)

Mal

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True... But I think one has the careful who they are getting in bed With?

For example would you take money from a Colombian drug cartel to fiance a treasure hunting expedition?

Mal

Of course not Mal..to the best of one's knowledge one has to stay away from such crime and illegal business bosses... But even the legitimate business bosses may want to sit behind the curtain..
TT

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mal, one of the trio - crow - designed that book cover for me, now to finish it.

Jose, I keep a copy of those in my photos just to remind me, that I really need to redo mine before it gets to the publisher's hands!

He really did a good job on 'em.

I plan on living forever, but I ain't planin' on workin' that long.

So far everything I have fixed has tore up two other things.

#/;0{>~

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I think you learning invaluable understanding of how the process works not just in India but all around the Globe. Many treasure hunters focus on the skills and process to search for treasure very few think about what happens next?

Mal

When my brother and I started looking for lost caches from Jesuit mines, that was thought about very hard by both of us. We did figure out how to do it though. LOL Wish we could have had a reason to follow through with it. :(

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Digger, you may be the wisest of us all.

IMO It is better to plan ahead than worry about it when you need it. If it is NOT coins, then the term "Glory Pocket" can come into play. With a Glory Pocket when you clean it out there is nothing left. No need to file a claim, just declare the County and State for taxes when you get to the refinery. The Feds will take theirs at the same time. Finding a reliable refinery is also needed or you can get burnt. Had some that wanted 10% to refine it, instead of 3% and then 3% to buy it from you.
Did lots of research and soul searching to figure out the best way to convert little pieces of gold into cash legally.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
IMO It is better to plan ahead than worry about it when you need it. If it is NOT coins, then the term "Glory Pocket" can come into play. With a Glory Pocket when you clean it out there is nothing left. No need to file a claim, just declare the County and State for taxes when you get to the refinery. The Feds will take theirs at the same time. Finding a reliable refinery is also needed or you can get burnt. Had some that wanted 10% to refine it, instead of 3% and then 3% to buy it from you.
Did lots of research and soul searching to figure out the best way to convert little pieces of gold into cash legally.
Make that "Lots" of little pieces of gold, like pounds.;)

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, now you can join a long list of people waiting patiently (in my case anyway) for the completion of the book......

He has more excuses than my kids ever had for not writing something.

JB

I'm inclined to think that writing about a life as long and eventful as Jose's, is much more complicated than we expect it to be....

My little story has been much more work than I ever expected, Jose is, and has been helping me.

Perhaps it is a brew that demands aging.

#/;0{>~

PS. No I'm not holding a gun to his head!! He is in an advisory capacity.

Maybe he will find something in my work that inspires him. {;0):~

Last edited:

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Au, I hope I need your help someday. I have some ideas, but maybe yours are better......

JB

I am a little confused ( quite easy these days ) is it illegal to convert gold in cash in USA?

Or do you need a miners permit say if for example found a gold cache of gold? Couldn't you just sell the gold and pay the tax?

Or is similar for example in some countries anything over 10 thousand dollars of gold sold via a refiner has to be reported to the government.

If I put under $9999 in the bank its not required to be reported on. Anything over $10000 the bank is required to report the deposit to government.

Mal

South Sea mariner

Nov 5, 2016
At sea my ship
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm inclined to think that writing about a life as long and eventful as Jose's, is much more complicated than we expect it to be....

My little story has been much more work than I ever expected, Jose is, and has been helping me.

Perhaps it is a brew that demands aging.

#/;0{>~

Aging or not I have enjoyed your yarns.

Mal

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am a little confused ( quite easy these days ) is it illegal to convert gold in cash in USA?

Or do you need a miners permit say if for example found a gold cache of gold? Couldn't you just sell the gold and pay the tax?

Or is similar for example in some countries anything over 10 thousand dollars of gold sold via a refiner has to be reported to the government.

If I put under $9999 in the bank its not required to be reported on. Anything over $10000 the bank is required to report the deposit to government.

Mal
To answer this without getting in trouble with the moderators. I'll PM you and try and explain the problems in the US.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would be wrong with giving a jeweler, say~ 3.2 oz to build you an awesome 2.5 oz gold ring, and not worry about waste that it might happen, and if that works out then no problem.... Do it every week, till you are no longer in need...

Feds have been trying and failing to put a tax on bartering for decades!!

#/;0{>~

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What would be wrong with giving a jeweler, say~ 3.2 oz to build you an awesome 2.5 oz gold ring, and not worry about waste that it might happen, and if that works out then no problem.... Do it every week, till you are no longer in need...

Feds have been trying and failing to put a tax on bartering for decades!!

#/;0{>~
How about you contact a "Good" refinery and just get it refined? The amount of money you gave to the Jeweler in scrap , would have paid the taxes. IMO There is one in R.I. that is fair and been in business a loooong time. They have gold mailed to them via USPS, at least when I talked to them in 1982. They were the 3% to refine it and 3% more to buy it, then you pay the 3 taxes and it is your money.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BTW I learned what an "Adventure" is. It is doing some thing that people who just sit a house and hear about when we go out into the field looking, dodging rock falls, rattle snakes, Illegals, cactus, muscle cramps, lack of water, and other discomforts. Because they are at home in a nice warm or cool house(winter or Summer) with a soft chair and bed to use, our trips are an adventure. ;) To me it is just hard work. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions