Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another when the shtf. Here's a little trick I learned from Elmer Kieth when I was in the Border Patrol..If someday you find yourself armed with a pistol and you find someone shooting at you with a rifle, say 5-600 meters,You are not helpless, simply aim at the shooters position with your sights in the usual under 5 meter position,NO hold over, squeeze of a shot and note were your impact was, then leaving your front sight on the shooters position,lower your rear sight until you are the same horizontallyas the bulet , and you are automatically corrected for bullet drop at that range , a simple lil trick Your pistol will deliver the goods. as the bullet's impact

Kieth method of using the froant sight.jpg

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
another when the shtf. Here's a little trick I learned from Elmer Kieth when I was in the Border Patrol..If someday you find yourself armed with a pistol and you find someone shooting at you with a rifle, say 5-600 meters,You are not helpless, simply aim at the shooters position with your sights in the usual under 5 meter position,NO hold over, squeeze of a shot and note were your impact was, then leaving your front sight on the shooters position,lower your rear sight until you are the same horizontallyas the bulet , and you are automatically corrected for bullet drop at that range , a simple lil trick Your pistol will deliver the goods. as the bullet's impact

View attachment 1426035

Wow, and I always just used "Kentucky Windage" . ;) First shot is the spotting round at 600 + yards. Of course you have to shoot a lot of rounds to learn the gun.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BTW number 8 shot with a full choke will carry 100 yards if you know what you are doing. Ie, windage and elevation. I did that for a dove on the ground and had my brother start cursing because the dove dropped over with 2 runners of shot on either side of it. LOL When we got there he picked up the dove and swore I "Scared it to death". LOL

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, you shot a Dove? /~ I can't let my free flying ll Dove see that, She trusts me, and whenever I take a gran papy nap, she is almost as fast as I am in lying down on my pillow., She keeps the keyboard keys clean of cookie crumbs. cute, hoggishly eating our of my hand, v
ery cute and you SHOT one ? If she saw that she would never trust me again. she perches on the monitor. Incidentally no em yet.Incidentally, my idea of an alley cleaner is not a sub machine gun, but a Winchester 97, short barrel and OO. I favor external hammers.

Last edited:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
AU, you shot a Dove? /~ I can't let my free flying ll Dove see that, She trusts me, and whenever I take a gran papy nap, she is almost as fast as I am in lying down on my pillow., She keeps the keyboard keys clean of cookie crumbs. cute, hoggishly eating our of my hand, v
ery cute and you SHOT one ? If she saw that she would never trust me again. she perches on the monitor. Incidentally no em yet.Incidentally, my idea of an alley cleaner is not a sub machine gun, but a Winchester 97, short barrel and OO. I favor external hammers.

First I shot them for my mother who also loved them. I always thought they were a bit tough.
Second, at close range10-20 feet, number 4 shot with a 12 gauge pump works best with no plug. It is possible to work a pump almost as fast as an automatic. Four shot is about .177 cal. and will cut through a 2X12 at ten feet in a circle.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
About pain on trips, I was going around a rock face, foot slipped and when I grabbed the rock face to keep from slipping off, slammed an aguave cactus spine into my right arm an inch down from my elbow into my tendons. After that couldn't move my right arm. Had to rest my arm on my belt eyeglass case. If I moved my arm, it hurt bad. Got out of the hills and went in town to see a doctor. The only thing they could do for me was a sling for my arm. Was lucky, it only took 2 days before I could move my arm again.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I shot them for my mother who also loved them. I always thought they were a bit tough.
Second, at close range10-20 feet, number 4 shot with a 12 gauge pump works best with no plug. It is possible to work a pump almost as fast as an automatic. Four shot is about .177 cal. and will cut through a 2X12 at ten feet in a circle.

Well, Au, We’ve been through this before, but …. IMHO, #1 is the shot size of choice. Better patterning and more pellets than 00, and much better penetration at longer distances than #4. But, everyone to his own. I have to agree with the pump, though. Unless you only need 2 shots, in which case, the double barrel is quicker than either the pump or the auto.

JB

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Well, Au, We’ve been through this before, but …. IMHO, #1 is the shot size of choice. Better patterning and more pellets than 00, and much better penetration at longer distances than #4. But, everyone to his own. I have to agree with the pump, though. Unless you only need 2 shots, in which case, the double barrel is quicker than either the pump or the auto.

JB

Biggest I ever used hunting in Az. was #8 for rabbits, #4 for Dove and Quail. Again for close range, #8. Never used #1 or 00. #8 at 6 foot stopped a charging Brama Cow with horns at 6 feet, double posted barbed wire fence so I couldn't slide under or jump to get away. Was using a 16 gauge single shot for hunting. Ran until I got to the fence and then had to turn and shoot. She slid almost to my feet dead.

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest I ever used hunting in Az. was #8 for rabbits, #4 for Dove and Quail. Again for close range, #8. Never used #1 or 00. #8 at 6 foot stopped a charging Brama Cow with horns at 6 feet, double posted barbed wire fence so I couldn't slide under or jump to get away. Was using a 16 gauge single shot for hunting. Ran until I got to the fence and then had to turn and shoot. She slid almost to my feet dead.

Don Jose was talking about "alley clearing", not hunting, so that is a complete different issue. At 6', #8 would be more like a solid slug, and would be quite effective. I usually used .22 for rabbit, and #6 or #8 for dove and/or quail.

JB

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys are heartless fiends, incidentally do Dove ever get filled up This thing never stops eating.a\z

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
BTW Jose, how tough were those birds you shot with the .22? If my mother hadn't wanted them, I would not have shot them.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, blame yout mother. The toughest birds were the chachalakas in Yucatan, they were built lie road runner, and were justas tough. The Dove was an accident, I tjoght it was a wil turley

A walk in the Sun down Mexicos W coast©@®.jpg

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
yeah, blame yout mother. The toughest birds were the chachalakas in Yucatan, they were built lie road runner, and were justas tough. The Dove was an accident, I tjoght it was a wil turley

View attachment 1427148

Yeah, yeah. I heard that excuse before, even used it. LOL When 18 got a box of 16 guage shells for Christmas so I went out hunting. As I went by some brush this bird broke out of it and flew to the top of a mesquite tree. It "Honked" as it took off so I thought it was a goose. Should I soot it? No, Yes, No, Boom! Dropped it out of the tree and when I picked it up noticed that it had a crest on the top of it's head. I had shot a Peahen!. Took it home and asked "Is Peacock good eating?". We had the Peahen for Christmas Dinner. Even the normal dark meat is shot through with white meat. Boy, did I get ribbed about that one. LOL

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, got them backwards. 8 for birds and 4 for rabbits. Both for rattle snakes. I "Never" shot the biggest hawk in the world. Honest. I later found out that Golden Eagles stay brown until they are about 5 years old. Whan I found that out I was glad I didn't shoot it. BTW Never, ever shot a hawk as they were my friends, just like "King" snakes. Both eat rattle snakes. ;)

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 4" keene surface dredge down here is Mexico but no partner. Besidees you need a larger size.6 inch surface dredge at least.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions