Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If it is a wide-ribbon, then it's an old IDE-disk (nothing wrong in that). A sata/ide/usb adapter will accommodate both IDE (3.5"), laptop-IDE (2.5") and sata (3.5" or 2.5") and will still look like an external usb-disk - it's a no-brainer and the adapter is about $15!
The ones I looked at didn't have a power connection for the hard drive. They take +12 Volt for the drive motor to spin it and +5 volts for the logic to read it. USB will only pass +5 volts and even then the USB port controller may not be able to supply enough current to drive it. Good idea if he had the power supply working.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Jose, Unplug the 20 pin power connector from the Motherboard. Look at it for a Green wire and a black one. If you short those 2 together does the power supply fan come on? If so the supply is good, If not that supply is NG. That is the power good signal from the motherboard that you just fooled the power supply into turning on by jumping those 2 wires. If it does turn on the power supply fan then the Mother board most likely has the problem. Here's the problem then, Even if you get a newer Motherboard that has IDE connection on it you will need another IDE drive to install it, not the one you have now. The drivers for the mother board won't match the drivers on your original drive. IE worst case Intel Motherboard versus AMD and even then the chip set for the same type, but different chip set will have problems without a new hard drive to install windows and the new motherboard drivers/chipset. Need to know what you have in there now for mother board.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
motherboard'
AE ROCK 1333-d6B DUAL COIL CP
WELLSDALE WELDALE EXTRA MEMORY

Last edited:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
motherboard'
AE ROCK 1333-d6B DUAL COIL CP
WELLSDALE WELDALE EXTRA MEMORY
AE maybe AS for ASUS or ASRock? Dual Core Intel or AMD? If you still have the mother board manual that would help. I'm looking for an old mother board that would do IDE and memory for it to ship/mail to you. I can also send and old IDE Drive if you need that also. Got lots of junk. Just ask my wife. LOL

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was inbound from the orient. Most of the crew were down with
scurvy and were unable to perform emergency duties

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey, I have noticed that my typing is almost back to it's usual .
can get hii's yaqui stories now, no headaches either.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But how would they wrest it from Costa Rico Mac ?? As you said, the out going ones are the prime ones, they often used the 8 reales coins for ballast.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
AU, hve been looking at motherboards on "Tiger direct "
They are too high. Go to www.microcenter.com See if they will ship to you, much cheaper. Also www.newegg.com has Do It Yourself DIY Case power supply Mother board and memory. For newer stuff you will need USB keyboard and mouse. You will be surprised at the speed difference. If you come to the States, you can almost never beat Fry's .

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spend money ?? ichy, horrible thought. besides the old computer was deigned as a game computer., very wide range and menory.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
spend money ?? ichy, horrible thought. besides the old computer was deigned as a game computer., very wide range and menory.

But with an IDE drive it has to be over 8 years old ( I'm being nice). That's worse than Dog Years. As for memory, 8-16 Gig is more normal these days. Also Quad core and up for the processor. If you remove all the boards except the Video card does it then turn on? Modem, NIC card, any others as well. Memory and Video card (unless you are using the mother board for the Video) left in and nothing else. No hard drive or CD/DVD readers. Sill no power up? Mother board more than any thing else is gone or the CPU. IMHO

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger, I don’t think you are as old as you are making out to be........

I’ve been waiting for my grandkids to get old enough to fix my computer [emoji335]!

Dealing with my phone is challenging enough... Just yesterday I had a two minute discussion with Siri, when I asked her for a formula for the speed of time... just made excuses for not knowing, and when I asked her about her excuses, she said that she would have to get back to me later on that...
I asked how long, and said, “Oh yeah, you don’t have a formula for time, so you can’t tell me!”

Then she dumped a bunch of websites, for me to look it up...
I need a screwdriver!
Shaken, not stirred!!

I’m more “Old school “ everyday....

#/;0{>~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amigo Jose. I hope it wasn't my last email, to you that pushed your computer over the edge......
I know that with everything that I own, if it's just barely got it's head above the water, there's a big wave right behind me that's gonna swamp me and wash my dead body up on a beach!

:coffee2::coffee2:

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mike: Your PM box is full you need to delete some so you can get new ones. Plug in the flash drive, click on explore (not ie explorer) to open it select the C: drive and go to where the files/folder is that you want to copy and right click on it. Select Copy and then right click on the Flash drive and select Paste. Done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread