Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now y'all know I never pass up a chance to raise a glass with good friends. So raise a glass of your beverage of choice, and join me in wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....especially the Most Interesting Man in the World....our amigo Joseph Curry, aka, Real de Tayopa, Don Jose de la Mancha, Till Eulenspiegel , el Windmill Tilter Especiale....and the bountiful table he has laid for us here!

To Good Friends, Cheers!

View attachment 1528624

Likewise, I'm sure!

JB

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now y'all know I never pass up a chance to raise a glass with good friends. So raise a glass of your beverage of choice, and join me in wishing everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....especially the Most Interesting Man in the World....our amigo Joseph Curry, aka, Real de Tayopa, Don Jose de la Mancha, Till Eulenspiegel , el Windmill Tilter Especiale....and the bountiful table he has laid for us here!

To Good Friends, Cheers!

View attachment 1528624

Don Jose - you are a living legend! I salute you! Personally I would like to toast you with a Scottish single malt, but considering the tad of Oirish in you - I will make an exception and use an Irish malt beverage!! Take care and have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas!:icon_thumright::occasion14:

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
corozone,all that I can do is sympathize with you.but it must be painful at tines my friend. but I bet that it doesn't interfer with your grabbing a hot, fresh, Tortilla dripping with real butter

You got that right, as long as the coazon is not broken, any other pain can be tolerated. I always make fun at myself, and sometimes my wife joins in. :icon_scratch: I don't always limp that bad, unless I am really hurting. One time that I was limping, my wife told me that I walked like a buzzard on hot pavement.:laughing7:

Feliz Navidad everyone.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone else followed the sound of frogs to get to water? Did that in Arizona, found a nice deep pool of water that was great to drink.

You never see little frog sized huts with a half moon air vent cut out in the door standing by water , for some reason........:icon_scratch:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once had a big frog [emoji196] on my front porch, and swatted a huge moth down, thinking that it would take a little time for the frog to get it down... the moth’s wingspan was larger than the frog’s body.
Boy howdy was I ever wrong. He had it brown in two good chomps!!

What an appetite!

Other than that... just gigging the big ones for supper!!

We would always leave one or two without cutting the knee string, just to make Mom jump when they would jump out of The frying pan!!!

Good clean fun, I kinda miss those days.

#/:0{>~

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likewise, I'm sure!

JB

I think that we may need a bigger table...

Every one loves an open bar!

However, I may only partake of the softer drinks. Alcohol makes me break out with misdemeanors and occasionally run a low grade felony.

#/;0{>:~

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

To Good Friends, Cheers!

View attachment 1528624

I second the motion, tip your glasses for our amigo Don Jose!

Mikel - you won't be the only one, I found that I can not have alcohol any more. One of the meds I am on doesn't mix well with it. I didn't believe that of course and had to try it, the first try resulted in vomiting for a couple of hours followed by spending the rest of the night with dry heaves!
vomit.gif
Thinking that perhaps it was just too much alcohol, the second experiment was a single shot of brandy, not even a strong stuff, and the same result. The dry heaves did help reduce the attractions of alcohol for me, but I won't mind toasting you all in any liquid refreshment you prefer.

Keep 'em coming amigos, heck the stories could be considered as Christmas presents to everyone!
:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest about the matter .....

That is why I don’t drink anything stronger than an occasional Coke.

It doesn’t make me sick; just makes me wake up in the floor, shower or yard..... haven’t awakened in a vehicle or somewhere away from home.

So I find myself, just making the decision to not risk the first drink.

It’s a little sad, because it really helps my pain! But then again, I tend to do things that do harm my body when I don’t feel the pain, and those pains take much longer to heal, as a reminder to stay away while tempted!!

#/;0{>~

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
au, when I had to go light i used three, one for my feet. three small fires were better in keeping me warm than a single large one.

those yaquis would burn an entire tree if it was avaiable.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Audigger ever tried the mountain man trick of building a fire as long as you are tall, and smothering the fire with dirt - you can then sleep on top of the fire and be nice and warm. It is a little bit tricky to get the amount of dirt right though.

Ground was too hard and didn't have a shovel and pick at the time. Matter of fact neither time I had to do that away from camp was I carrying those. I love Manzanita though. The dead wood shreds into real nice tinder for starting a fire with the other dead wood. Can't find it above 6000 feet though. At least I have never seen it higher than that.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, Ive spent a week in a large mazanita clump with a piece of plasric waiting for a truck Thb plastic was about 7 ft and kept the direct rain off of me (well to a point) while the manzanita itself kept the side rain off of m e c After about a week oF being wet, I gave up and walked to the next town, 20 milts.. As i was drying out -- you guessed it -- a truck came by. The gal whose hut I was drying out im, must have thought that I was crazy as I was laughing to myself. while waiting for a hot meal-

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
au, when I had to go light i used three, one for my feet. three small fires were better in keeping me warm than a single large one.

those yaquis would burn an entire tree if it was avaiable.

Sleeping fires, eh? Well, I have an embarrassing fire story to share, but the first one that laughs gets a poke with a sharp stick.

Back when I was still wet behind the ears, must have been about 12 or 13, my brothers all went on a weekend camping trip down on the creek....and I didn't get to go. Guy thing they said. Well, that didn't seem fair to me, so I packed up a backpack and my sleeping bag and slipped out the back door to follow on my bike.

Unfortunately, they had a big head start on me and I arrived at the designated spot only to find they were nowhere to be seen. Faced with going home in defeat (not in my vocabulary even at that early age), I chose instead to just make my own dang camp. Faced with spending the whole night alone, with wild beast of every kind infesting the dark woods around me, I picked what I thought to be the perfect spot. A beautiful big flat rock ledge hanging out over the creek bank. Figured I'd build a fire on the side facing the woods, to keep the critters at bay, and I would put my bedroll next to the fire on the creek side, where I should be safe from attack in my sleep.

I built a big fire and laid my bed out nice and close, spreading my weapons (pocket knife, rope, small hatchet) around me strategically, alongside my foodstuffs and the rest of my gear. The perfect camping setup. Finishing my peanut butter sandwich and coke, I spread the coals from the fire in a long line next to my sleeping bag to keep me warm and lay down to sleep. There were a lot of coals as I had built a pretty big fire and wanted them to last the night. It was so warm I had to scoot my bed over closer to the water side of the ledge to keep from cooking myself.

Couldn't have been an hour later I remember hearing a faint pop, like a coal flaring up, and I rolled over to make sure it hadn't rolled towards me....and CRACK...like a gunshot...a huge splash and I was in the water, along with my bedroll, and all my gear. Took me a good 30 yards dog paddling to get back on dry ground in the dark, soaking wet, all gear lost, no flashlight....to find that the beautiful rock ledge I had built the fire on had split along the coal line clean as a whistle and fallen three feet into the creek, taking me and my camp with it.

Several cold hours later I made it home just as mom was putting breakfast on the table. She took one look at me and never batting an eyelash asked " Catch anything? ".

Best biscuits I've ever eaten soaking wet.

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sleeping fires, eh? Well, I have an embarrassing fire story to share, but the first one that laughs gets a poke with a sharp stick.

Back when I was still wet behind the ears, must have been about 12 or 13, my brothers all went on a weekend camping trip down on the creek....and I didn't get to go. Guy thing they said. Well, that didn't seem fair to me, so I packed up a backpack and my sleeping bag and slipped out the back door to follow on my bike.

Unfortunately, they had a big head start on me and I arrived at the designated spot only to find they were nowhere to be seen. Faced with going home in defeat (not in my vocabulary even at that early age), I chose instead to just make my own dang camp. Faced with spending the whole night alone, with wild beast of every kind infesting the dark woods around me, I picked what I thought to be the perfect spot. A beautiful big flat rock ledge hanging out over the creek bank. Figured I'd build a fire on the side facing the woods, to keep the critters at bay, and I would put my bedroll next to the fire on the creek side, where I should be safe from attack in my sleep.

I built a big fire and laid my bed out nice and close, spreading my weapons (pocket knife, rope, small hatchet) around me strategically, alongside my foodstuffs and the rest of my gear. The perfect camping setup. Finishing my peanut butter sandwich and coke, I spread the coals from the fire in a long line next to my sleeping bag to keep me warm and lay down to sleep. There were a lot of coals as I had built a pretty big fire and wanted them to last the night. It was so warm I had to scoot my bed over closer to the water side of the ledge to keep from cooking myself.

Couldn't have been an hour later I remember hearing a faint pop, like a coal flaring up, and I rolled over to make sure it hadn't rolled towards me....and CRACK...like a gunshot...a huge splash and I was in the water, along with my bedroll, and all my gear. Took me a good 30 yards dog paddling to get back on dry ground in the dark, soaking wet, all gear lost, no flashlight....to find that the beautiful rock ledge I had built the fire on had split along the coal line clean as a whistle and fallen three feet into the creek, taking me and my camp with it.

Several cold hours later I made it home just as mom was putting breakfast on the table. She took one look at me and never batting an eyelash asked " Catch anything? ".

Best biscuits I've ever eaten soaking wet.

Ditlihi,
Squirrel dumplings,kilt salad and now noodling to boot! Lol!!!
How many other hidden qualities have you been holding out on us?
-Weekender

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure miss those days when we could go missing for a day or two without anyone going out to look for us. Thanks for the laugh Dit, and no I didn't laugh first, put that stick down. It was Don Jose whose sprayed his coffee, and the Kahtahlua, or was that Oroblanco's dog that jumped out of the way?:dontknow:

Homar

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Once you see Manzanita, you can spot it right off. Red braches (that aren't dead) and the green leaves and the dead gray branches. Never understood why it had dead limbs and live ones at the same time. I did learn that you should never travel cross country at night without good flashlights, won't talk about going airborne in the dark. Just thankful that I landed in sand and not rocks. When we started out, we carried lanterns, then D cell flash lights, then C cells and finally AA's. Always carried 2 of the Double A's, so when one died we could take the other and change the batteries in the dead one. Also had spare if the bulb bunt out. This was for walking out of the search area back to base camp. Duracell double A's would last about 4 to 4.5 hours from bright to dead. Made it safer to see the trail and look for snakes. LOL In the mountains without a moon, it is like being in a cave with out a light. You can't see your hand in front of your face. Ah the joys of going treasure/Cache hunting in the mountains. If I don't get back on in time, Merry Christmas to all and may the "Fat Man" take a liking to you and yours.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Well mine wasn't wet but I did learn that you do NOT make camp on a nice cleared area of bare dirt. That night the ants came out exploring. Big ants. we spent the night in the front of the ruck and cleaned ever thing before packing to make sure we had no "Renters" in the sleeping bags or tent. Ah the things we learn that others forgot to teach us. LOL

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Homar,
I don’t think that I was ever allowed to just vanish overnight, but it was always okay to stay out from under foot, all day. Heck, it was almost a mandate.

I was fortunate to have older roll models, ie. Cousins, second cousins and an older brother.

Yeah, they would tend to use me for a mule, but (and it’s a big BUT) I was never a scapegoat!

If everything went south on an expedition ( we got caught) I always got the finger pointed in my face lecture about not being forced to follow the bigger boys, while they brought out the big cannons on the oldest ones, for leading me astray!!

Ha hahaha oh!

I think the one day trip that about got all of us jailed (long term grounding and KP [ keep peeling]).. was the first time that we took Papaw’s chopped up buggy out across the desert, hunting jack rabbits [emoji235]! It was okay to hunt them, just not by hooking old seatbelts under the hood and riding on the fenders , with rifles and whoever was driving using a pistol.

We weren’t sure how they found us at the time, but it came out later that it was the combination of The missing buggy and the noise from getting air borne and slamming into the next hill and the near constant gunfire. There may have been a trail of blood and dead jack rabbits [emoji195]....

Our only defense was that we were saving the family gardens....

And mine was always ended up with me saying, “ But the big kids were going to leave me, sniff, sniff, whimper.”

I didn’t dare mention that I got most of the rabbits....!!!

We had a four square mile area to run rampant as long as we didn’t cross the next one mile cross road, we were okay ON FOOT! Most of the time.

Problem was, Papaw had too many chopped up old cars to keep up with.

We could keep one hid for days, without him noticing. He kept a good watch on his gas cans though. After all gas was over 25 cents a gallon!!!

Other than the day that the gas price wars drove the price down to 19 cents and Papaw loaded his truck with 55 gallon drums and stocked up.

He payed up in cash, and the station owner called him everything but a customer!!

We must have made it into the second drum before he caught on.

Those really were the good old days!!

(80)(

Last edited:

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cost of A Tooth

Here is a story
It may be sad but its true
The cost of a tooth
Will make America grate
Unlike Donul Dump's vision
We'll just have to wait and see

P.s. I was hoping that I would not lose another tooth...An eye for an eye...A tooth for a tooth...For what it is worth...My Father had me give ya'll fair warning...roflmao

Ed T...LOL

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who needs Tayopa or a diamond mine in Nevada when one can retire in Mazatlan on Social Security Disability Insurance???Rofl...

Maybe one of these friggin days I'll do it...Heck...I can possibly even spend some time in Durango searching for my version of Tayopa...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread