Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
geez Sr. Don Jose, you made me have to google that to make sure it was "Family Friendly". And I second that. Σας εύχομαι καλά Χριστούγεννα και κάθε ευτυχία.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what did tou say happened to the caclers ?

With a stick, Jefe......poke them with a sharp stick..... :whip2:

fe5d54b7c3bbf77ca2686f3c34256a3b.jpg

Now where's my Christmas Eve story you promised? :happy1:

wine_zpsekaln4m7.gif

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a stick, Jefe......poke them with a sharp stick..... :whip2:

View attachment 1529966

Now where's my New Years Eve story you promised? :happy1:

View attachment 1529967

Hey, I’ve got one just like that, except its metal and the pointy part is a bayonet, and the stick expands to utilize it with an atlatl....

Okay it’s not even a little bit like yours...

But it is a sharp stick, for now!!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
God Jul, Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Feliz Natal, Fröhliche Weihnachten, καλά Χριστούγεννα,Joyeux Noel to you all!
:coffee2::occasion14::coffee2::thumbsup:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buon Natalie A Tutti.
Spiriti Infelici Dell’ Amore!

I hope that translated correctly.

Merry Christmas to all.
In spirit of undying love.

#/;0{>~

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
[FONT=&quot]
getPart

THE VERY FIRST KING-SIZED BED[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
To one without faith, no explanation is possible".[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
~Thomas Aquinas[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
THANK GOD FOR THAT BED AND BABY WHO SLEPT THERE.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
God Bless America ![/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
Merry Christmas!
Don....
[/FONT]​

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
No, no, no.....me no noodle. Love to catfish, but no likee the possibility of getting on a first name basis with a Cottonmouth. Nope, nada, not gonna stick MY hand in there.

noodle, never did that and after coming home from Boot Camp and going up to Coolidge Dam to go fishing, never would. We went up to the top of the Dam to see what side we wanted to go swimming and fishing in. Watched 6 feet of Carp almost beach it self getting away from a "Big" catfish. It was bigger than the Ford Pickup that I borrowed from my brother in law for the trip. Took a grappeling (treble) hook about 3 inches across, baited it and tied it to a piece of rebar that was sticking out of the Dam about 18 inches with a circle on the end. We used 1/4 inch braded nylon closeline and tossed it over on the Dam side. We went fishing on the river side (Gila River). The next morning we went back up on the Dam and found the rebar was bent over and there was only 3 feet of the close line left. From then on anytime I saw people Noodling, I wished them small catfish, ie under 3 feet in length. When they lie by the Dam and just suck in the food that drifts by, they get really big.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
The seas are rough where I want to hunt next, but by Aprill they should be calm enough for exploration.
Meanwhile, I'm doing the research that, I hope,willl get me closer to "X" marks the spot without having to leave the confines of my desk--and my enhanced coffee.
Merry Chirstmas,
Don......

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just so you don't think that I am really smart, even though I can learn. LOL I was fishing in the Gulf at Corpus Christi and waded out from shore to waist deep. I was catching Blues and putting them on a stringer, then I felt something bump me in the butt. I looked down and there was 3 &1/2 to 4 foot of shark. I cut the stringer loose and moved really fast back to shore. I tried to do like Jesus, but couldn't quite walk on water. If the water has any access to the ocean, I don't go in anymore.
See even I can learn not to do stupid things more than once, normally. LOL

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Camp Fire stories, OK. When I was stationed at Bainbridge, MD. I went down to see my brother at Fort Eustis, VA. for Thanksgiving. His wife was going to go to the BX for some extra things and as she was driving I saw a sign for a "Turkey Shoot". I asked her to drop me off and pick me up on the way back. They were shooting at 8 &1/2 by 11 papers with a 2 inch by 2 inch square in the center. They would count the holes in the square to see if they were going to give a turkey. Now these were all Army guys and use to rifles, so they would aim right at the target. The BBs in the center of the were only a couple, 1 to 6. I watched how the shot pattern spread was on one shotgun and when asked if I wanted to shoot, said I would wait for the other one. I was in my Navy Uniform so they didn't have a problem with me shooting for a turkey. When I got ready to shoot, I aimed to the right and high to the paper target and ran the shot ring from the bottom left to the top right corners. Almost a 2 & 1/2 inch wide shot ring that went right through the center of the square. The top left and bottom right corners were all that was left of the 2 X 2 inch square in the center. When my Sister-in-Law picked me up I gave her the claim ticket for a turkey and she said she would use it for Christmas as it would be frozen and not be thawed out in time for Thanksgiving. Rifles and shotguns shoot much differently at 50 to 100 feet. LOL

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac, don't forget that Morgans loot of Panama lies in a shallow cave on the bay / lagoon between Quitana Roo,and Belize
oo

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
Yes, Panama has some interesting targets.
Just east of Colon, off Galeta Island, are several 'stacked' cannons; iron and probably British--not the object of my search--so we motored on to Portobello.
Don.......

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sleeping fires, eh? Well, I have an embarrassing fire story to share, but the first one that laughs gets a poke with a sharp stick.

Back when I was still wet behind the ears, must have been about 12 or 13, my brothers all went on a weekend camping trip down on the creek....and I didn't get to go. Guy thing they said. Well, that didn't seem fair to me, so I packed up a backpack and my sleeping bag and slipped out the back door to follow on my bike.

Unfortunately, they had a big head start on me and I arrived at the designated spot only to find they were nowhere to be seen. Faced with going home in defeat (not in my vocabulary even at that early age), I chose instead to just make my own dang camp. Faced with spending the whole night alone, with wild beast of every kind infesting the dark woods around me, I picked what I thought to be the perfect spot. A beautiful big flat rock ledge hanging out over the creek bank. Figured I'd build a fire on the side facing the woods, to keep the critters at bay, and I would put my bedroll next to the fire on the creek side, where I should be safe from attack in my sleep.

I built a big fire and laid my bed out nice and close, spreading my weapons (pocket knife, rope, small hatchet) around me strategically, alongside my foodstuffs and the rest of my gear. The perfect camping setup. Finishing my peanut butter sandwich and coke, I spread the coals from the fire in a long line next to my sleeping bag to keep me warm and lay down to sleep. There were a lot of coals as I had built a pretty big fire and wanted them to last the night. It was so warm I had to scoot my bed over closer to the water side of the ledge to keep from cooking myself.

Couldn't have been an hour later I remember hearing a faint pop, like a coal flaring up, and I rolled over to make sure it hadn't rolled towards me....and CRACK...like a gunshot...a huge splash and I was in the water, along with my bedroll, and all my gear. Took me a good 30 yards dog paddling to get back on dry ground in the dark, soaking wet, all gear lost, no flashlight....to find that the beautiful rock ledge I had built the fire on had split along the coal line clean as a whistle and fallen three feet into the creek, taking me and my camp with it.

Several cold hours later I made it home just as mom was putting breakfast on the table. She took one look at me and never batting an eyelash asked " Catch anything? ".

Best biscuits I've ever eaten soaking wet.

Okay, I'm sure a lot of people have been laughing at this, so I'm PROBABLY pretty safe!
:occasion18::laughing7::laughing7: ROFL :laughing7::laughing7::tongue3::occasion14:

JB

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d bet that Dit laughed at it before she typed it, however; that may have been the first time that she did....

Walk softly and be aware of the sharp stick!

#/;0{>~<—<<

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d bet that Dit laughed at it before she typed it, however; that may have been the first time that she did....

Walk softly and be aware of the sharp stick!

#/;0{>~<—<<

Obviously, I'm not walking softly...not really in my nature. However, I will watch for the sharp stick. I suspect that there were several others here on TNet that wanted to make a similar post, but couldn't bring themselves to do so.....come on guys, admit it, you were ALL laughing!

JB

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy audigger53,

Many years ago, a co-worker had purchased a used .38 Special revolver. After we all took turns looking at it at the company yard, they placed a beer can just about 20 yards away. With the owner going first then three others, and all missing, it was my turn. I was watching were the bullets were hitting, which was about an inch or two from the top, and an inch or two to the left. I aimed about an inch and a half to the right side of bottom of the can, and hit it almost dead center. After all the congratulations I told them the sights were off, which they could not believe since I had nailed it.

Homar

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac, this is where he stocked most of the treasure of Panama that he robbed the other pirates after they took Panama, and lies In Mexican waters. He tricked the other pirried ated into putting al of the treasure of Panama on his boat , he then stopped off in Mexico to bury most of the loot, then poceeded to Jamaca where he became gobendor with well placed bribes.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
50 years ago, I might have looked for Morgan's treasure in a cave. Today, based on experience, I seek those treasures where I can get closer to the "X marks the spot" through pure research;and with two water targets and a land project on my list right now, my plate is full for 2018.
It's going to be a very interesting year; and hopefully prosperous.
PS: Did you ever meet Dr.Roy Roush, PhD? (Adventurer's Club--LA)
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread