PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikel, for the last 31 yrs. mostly what I've thought about is sittin on my dead ass in my skivvies drinkin ice cold beer in the air conditioning. Gonna have to learn to live on a "fixed" income.

I refer to my income as, my broken income!!
Since I have been on SS, there have been three cost of living increases, the first one was three bucks a month!!
The second one went into Medicare, which simply raised my cost of medical expenses!!!

The third one was much larger ( by comparison) than the other two, and guess what happened $$$ my net income is less than ever!!!??!!!

On the bright side, I already have one hobby that uses all of my discretionary income.

Once a year I will walk out into the woods, or wade out into a creek with my fly fishing pole and a box of home made flys.

It’s all good, once you get used to it.

#/;0{>~

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
You make it sound more appealing Mikel.
14 days before Christmas, my company, which was a contractor for the government, let me and another supervisor go. They said we "Did NOT fit in". Office politics and a fabricated scam to back them up. Anyway, I have taken the past few months to try and regain my sanity and lower back down my blood pressure, ( avg. 175/ 125 )not good when considering my parents, both grandparents and both my great grandparents ALL passed from heart disease. So this time off has given me time to try and decide if I want to go back and find another job, or just finally retire and hopefully enjoy the future. Working helps keep me feeling young and staying in shape, were if I now retire I will acknowledge to myself I am getting old, just a mind game but . Just hard to make that step, but I am so tired of politics in the office place.

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14 days before Christmas, my company, which was a contractor for the government, let me and another supervisor go. They said we "Did NOT fit in". Office politics and a fabricated scam to back them up. Anyway, I have taken the past few months to try and regain my sanity and lower back down my blood pressure, ( avg. 175/ 125 )not good when considering my parents, both grandparents and both my great grandparents ALL passed from heart disease. So this time off has given me time to try and decide if I want to go back and find another job, or just finally retire and hopefully enjoy the future. Working helps keep me feeling young and staying in shape, were if I now retire I will acknowledge to myself I am getting old, just a mind game but . Just hard to make that step, but I am so tired of politics in the office place.
I've been in your shoes - but I was 3 years overdue anyway, so no biggie. As for retirement, I can heartily recommend it. You will find that your needs are a lot less and you have a lot more time on your hand to do the things you really want. That being said - I have no idea how I ever managed to have a full-time job!! Time is like an accelerating 'spinner'!! - which to me is the biggest drawback of retirement.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate that feedback Loke, the "freedom" aspect sounds so appealing. Again, thank you very much.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Mikel, for the last 31 yrs. mostly what I've thought about is sittin on my dead ass in my skivvies drinkin ice cold beer in the air conditioning. Gonna have to learn to live on a "fixed" income.

It sounds like you already have a dream to fulfill, sitting in yer skivvies drinking ice cold beer in the air conditioning. What is wrong with that plan? I am curious as to why you crossed off prospecting and treasure hunting though, just out of curiosity though not going to try to change your mind, thanks in advance.

Mikel I have to agree on your idea - what is wrong with fishing? Especially fly fishing! I am looking forward to it myself in a few weeks, can hardly wait.

Please do continue,

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Oroblanco,The prospecting thing is because it's probably a 2 day drive just to get somewhere TO prospect. No knowledge of how or where to go. Did a pan at a tourist place near Mt. Rushmore once and found out just how hard it is. I'll also leave the treasure hunting to someone else. Some of those Treasures are hundreds of yrs. old and better people than I have not come up with them or did and kept their mouths shut and they are gone.
I do have one place to check out if I can find it again. It's a rock about 4'x6'x8' tall. Sits 100' from any other rock and when I last saw it in the mid 70's had names/dates back to the 1830's. It's located a couple of miles from the house where the guy that got Cole Younger out of prison lived and is near the old Pioneer road in the area. I know "about" where it is (Gvt. or Corp. of Engineer land) but can't pick it up off of aerial photos. Will have to walk the Gvt. Boundary to locate. Might not be anything but a big rock there but there was much righting on a big rock a long ways from all but one home. I believe I'll have a beer and think on it.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the mining properties were in my wife's name. I personally am not legally able to hold them. Now what ??
No, para esto de la adquisición de minas, ser residente permanente es sólo un paso para que posteriormente puedas adquirir la nacionalidad mexicana, pero no te faculta para poder tener concesiones mineras. Sólo los que han nacido en México, o los que han nacido en el extranjero hijos de mexicanos y las sociedades mercantiles constituidas por mexicanos, olas sociedades constituidas por extranjeros, en cuyos estatutos se acepte que respetaran y se regirán por las leyes mexicanas, pueden hacerlo. of owning a mining prop. in mexic.o,

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don Jose,
The MX mining laws seem rather tough and, perhaps outdated--as were past laws (now reversed) prohibiting 'gringos' from owning land adjacent to the sea.
Hopefully the mining laws of MX will soon be modernized to permit mine ownership where it is currently prohibited.
Don.......

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been in your shoes - but I was 3 years overdue anyway, so no biggie. As for retirement, I can heartily recommend it. You will find that your needs are a lot less and you have a lot more time on your hand to do the things you really want. That being said - I have no idea how I ever managed to have a full-time job!! Time is like an accelerating 'spinner'!! - which to me is the biggest drawback of retirement.

Yeah, I retired on March 2, and was immediately rehired again as a part timer to train my replacement. I'm 2 years overdue for retirement and counting. I told them I would be retiring about 6 months ago, and they waited until 2 weeks before I retired to start training anybody..... Actually, I have been telling them I would be retiring for about a year and a half, now, but they kept asking me to extend. Unfortunately, that is typical for the corporate mentality in my company. If they irritate me too much now, I'll just quit, and they can figure it out all by themselves, which actually makes me feel much better. So anyway, now I'm working harder than ever, doing house projects and working part time. I really wanted to do more fishing, but that hasn't happened yet. I also have a couple of treasure leads over at the Yuma area that I want to look into as well.....Hopefully soon. So, good luck Simon, you will enjoy yourself. Just figure out what you want to do, and do it. And if that turns out to not be as good as you hoped, try something else. You now have the time.

JB

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ever notice that no one yells at you for "killing Fish"? But if you go hunting they yell at you for "Killing Bambi"? The normal answer for that is, "But he is mighty tasty." LOL

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever notice that no one yells at you for "killing Fish"? But if you go hunting they yell at you for "Killing Bambi"? The normal answer for that is, "But he is mighty tasty." LOL

Actually, I have had people yell at me for killing fish......but they tasted just as good as they did when nobody yelled at me. Actually, I'm a second or third level vegetarian. I only eat animals that eat plants or animals that eat animals that eat plants......

JB

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you ever catch Catfish, put them in the cooler and take a taste of the water, if you dare, if you don't like the taste of the water, you won't like the taste of the catfish. Unless when you get home and it is still alive, put it in a washtub with clean water. Let the fish swim in there for 2-3 hours, they will clean themselves and now taste like the fish you buy at the market as farm grown. Learned that trick many many years ago in Arizona while in High School.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Been retired for about 5 years now. Took an early retirement when my company offered it. Still no regrets. My problem is that now all my extended family on both sides know I'm retired, guess who they call on when they need a favor? Yep, but it's not so bad, I still have time for other projects. SS is barely enough to live on, but with a 401K or pension, it is very similar to working. The money saved on gas and other necessities is far less. Good Luck. rockhound

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I retired in 2008 on a disability and soon learned that work is one of those 4 letter words. I don't know how I ever had time to go to work! I can relate to being laid off just before Christmas. In Dec. 1986 the cement plant I had worked at for 12 years laid everyone off. I spent the next 2 years pretty much unemployed. Small construction jobs in the summer and unemployment during the winter, but it all worked out. In 1988 I got a job at the power plant here in Wheatland. Spent 20 years there and had a better retirement plan. So hang in there!

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks WyoMike. At 65, I doubt I will see any future job through for any length of time . The fact is, it would be nice knowing that you really don't have to take B.S. anymore, that kind of freedom is alluring. I am still weighing the options . ???

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
All of the mining properties were in my wife's name. I personally am not legally able to hold them. Now what ??
No, para esto de la adquisición de minas, ser residente permanente es sólo un paso para que posteriormente puedas adquirir la nacionalidad mexicana, pero no te faculta para poder tener concesiones mineras. Sólo los que han nacido en México, o los que han nacido en el extranjero hijos de mexicanos y las sociedades mercantiles constituidas por mexicanos, olas sociedades constituidas por extranjeros, en cuyos estatutos se acepte que respetaran y se regirán por las leyes mexicanas, pueden hacerlo. of owning a mining prop. in mexic.o,

What about your children? Could they own the mines?

I am in a similar boat, have got to get out as soon as the weather breaks and get to work prospecting, not going to let this situation stand. I hope we find a way for you to get your mines back.

On hard work and retirement, I will only add one thing, those fellows who kept telling us that "hard work never hurt anyone" were lying through their teeth. Millions of back backs, bad knees, hips, necks, joints you name it are solid evidence that old saying is 100% false.

Please do continue;

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Jose, you have dual citizen ship do you not ? How long have you been living in Mexico ?

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That freedom is priceless I didn't have to put with all the BS.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
YES, C OURSE ,,UT SINCE SHE DIDNT LEAVE A WIL IT TAKES ABOUT A YEAR TO FINISH aND MONEY
####################################
So all is not lost then right ? It's just going to take longer. If this is assigned to a court then they should be able to enforce none of the assets be touched until decision has been made, which should be in your favor. I am not familiar either with Mexico's laws, one can only hope for a speedy decision on your behalf. You will prevail Senor Don Jose, finder of Lost Mines and Tayopa.:coffee2: NO MORE DECAF for you !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread