Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Tayopa has been declared a national patrimony, it probably never be mined again.

I had to hit 'like' for the post, but actually IMHO I would rather it was NOT a national patrimony, as that won't enrich anybody but some gasbag politicos. Anyway it certainly IS an historic site (and sight!) we owe you for having shared your discoveries and experiences - and your service to our country. Thanks buddy.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

PS Keep 'em coming amigos and amigas!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome IMAU, while in the Border Patrol, I carried a S&W .357, with a 4", a Kieth long range front sight, loaded with a 156 SWC, in front of 14.5 grains of2400.

Now your talking my language!!
That was probably quite the extreme compared to the snub nose .38 revolvers everyone else was probably packing!

My grandpa would probably have been almost exactly your age. Served in WW2 as a young man. Salute..I agree...the greatest generation and not because it's a common phrase.
It's just so true.

I'll grab some fire wood,

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hola IUA, I figure that I could confidently hit a man sized target@ 400meters and fairly consistently out to 600, no need to carry a rifle. Oro, never forget that you have been been selected to carry on with the great Tayopa.If there is something that you aren't clear on ?

///

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hola IUA, I figure that I could confidently hit a man sized target@ 400meters and fairly consistently out to 600, no need to carry a rifle. /

No doubt. I shoot squirrels with mine...sometimes better than others.
I've been playing around with this sight for deer hunting..
D15857FA-584E-4E1D-BB86-94DB91D7D805.jpeg
There's nothing to line up, just a bright red dot to put over the target.
Little more difficult to holster and pack but it's fun for now.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iau

ive beenwondering about that particular sight, it seems to me that they are too bulky ??? do you really like it ? how do you adjust it for long range ?

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For just a woods/packing gun, I wouldn't recommend the reflex sight.

You have to alter your natural draw just a little bit in order to see the dot each time and that took some getting used to. Nothing like a scope though. The thicker the mount, the worst it is. I think the one I have on there is the thinnest you can get. Makes a big difference.
It is a little bulky...doesn't fit in any of my holsters anymore.

I don't see myself leaving it on there forever.

It is FUN.
You can shoot with both eyes open and just focus on the target instead of the sights.
Running rabbit shots are easy and that's the main reason I bought it...moving targets during deer hunting season.
Shooting steel targets is fun as well.

I have friends that have slowed down on the handgun shooting because they can't see both sights at the same time anymore. This solves that problem.

Ive convinced myself that I'm going to buy a Ruger Mark 2 .22 pistol.
This sight would be really fun on a .22LR.

Per adjusting for longer shots..hold over could not be any easier. You can see the dot and the entire target.
I usually keep my shots limited to about 70 yards.

It's not the easiest to sight in but seems to stay put after you get it where you want it.
My suggestion to anyone thinking about getting one is to find a buddy that has one and shoot it first.

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the kieth long range there is no hold over. You merely set your rear sight on th front and "voila" you have automatically compensated. open sight, there is no koldover.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the kieth long range there is no hold over. You merely set your rear sight on th front and "voila" you have automatically compensated. open sight, there is no koldover.

Never used one of those sights, but I'd be open to try if the opportunity arose.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi IMAU< The front sight is marked in meters. You merely drop the rear sight to the corresponding range on the front sight and you always perch your point of impact on top of the front sight, you do not have guess as in hold over.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For just a woods/packing gun, I wouldn't recommend the reflex sight.

You have to alter your natural draw just a little bit in order to see the dot each time and that took some getting used to. Nothing like a scope though. The thicker the mount, the worst it is. I think the one I have on there is the thinnest you can get. Makes a big difference.
It is a little bulky...doesn't fit in any of my holsters anymore.

I don't see myself leaving it on there forever.

It is FUN.
You can shoot with both eyes open and just focus on the target instead of the sights.
Running rabbit shots are easy and that's the main reason I bought it...moving targets during deer hunting season.
Shooting steel targets is fun as well.

I have friends that have slowed down on the handgun shooting because they can't see both sights at the same time anymore. This solves that problem.

Ive convinced myself that I'm going to buy a Ruger Mark 2 .22 pistol.
This sight would be really fun on a .22LR.

Per adjusting for longer shots..hold over could not be any easier. You can see the dot and the entire target.
I usually keep my shots limited to about 70 yards.

It's not the easiest to sight in but seems to stay put after you get it where you want it.
My suggestion to anyone thinking about getting one is to find a buddy that has one and shoot it first.

Check out the Ruger .22/45 too.
Mine I'd have to cut the grips out of the polymer , but newer ones you can change the grips on.
Grips making how a handgun fits YOU.
The .22/45 target model is a natural pointer for me. Due to angle of grip frame like a 1911. Barrel mass helps too.
It's a shooter for sure.

The Mark 4's had recalls on some models 2016-2017 . But they disassemble easier than the older styles.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Ruger .22/45 too.
Mine I'd have to cut the grips out of the polymer , but newer ones you can change the grips on.
Grips making how a handgun fits YOU.
The .22/45 target model is a natural pointer for me. Due to angle of grip frame like a 1911. Barrel mass helps too.
It's a shooter for sure.

The Mark 4's had recalls on some models 2016-2017 . But they disassemble easier than the older styles.
Being that the majority of California voters are generally very stupid, Ruger (and other companies) will not submit samples of every model for testing/approval by the state. Unfortunately I cannot buy the latest generation. I might be able to purchase one used, but they are difficult to find. Used pistols make me nervous.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi IMAU< The front sight is marked in meters. You merely drop the rear sight to the corresponding range on the front sight and you always perch your point of impact on top of the front sight, you do not have guess as in hold over.

Sounds like fun.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Being that the majority of California voters are generally very stupid, Ruger (and other companies) will not submit samples of every model for testing/approval by the state. Unfortunately I cannot buy the latest generation. I might be able to purchase one used, but they are difficult to find. Used pistols make me nervous.

Cali politics.....

Well , Mark 2 then.
My gunsmith retired due to increased federal license requirement /$$$$ grab.
Was nice to have him review and tweak anything I had questions on.

Found a Mark 2 set up for target picture .
220px-RugerMkIICompetitonTarget678-black.jpg

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wit the Kieth sights there is nothing movable, They are quite accurate, nothing is changed. you adjust your sights for the range that you consider normal range then you do not touch them again, but instead of placing your rear sight even with the top of the front sight, you drop your rear sight down on the front sight to a predetermined mark or insert, I used plastic inserts.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wit the Kieth sights there is nothing movable, They are quite accurate, nothing is changed. you adjust your sights for the range that you consider normal range then you do not touch them again, but instead of placing your rear sight even with the top of the front sight, you drop your rear sight down on the front sight to a predetermined mark or insert, I used plastic inserts.

Do you still have your iron?

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no ! unfortunately, it traveled with me on general exploration trips, as well as the the tayopa campign, I miss it. I used to sleep with it inside of my sleeping bag, it was readily accessible, which proved the idea once but cost me a hole in it.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no ! unfortunately, it traveled with me on general exploration trips, as well as the the tayopa campign, I miss it. I used to sleep with it inside of my sleeping bag, it was readily accessible, which proved the idea once but cost me a hole in it.

What did it cost the target [emoji457], that caused you to need to pull the trigger???

#/;0{>~(c)

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, prospector mike, afire ringed hole, but it stopped aggressive move one night. He became a ***** cat after that.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The incident that I referred to was about half starved,clothes dirty and ripped. He was one of those that commited a crime and thought that by running off into the mts would be a nice way to escape punishment, but he soon found it was far tougher than he realized. As soon as he found out that wasn't going to kill him , especially afteer //// made him start the campfire to make coffee. Frankly I felt sorry for him, he looked so down and out, I decided that he had learned a lesson . I considered keeping his machete, but he couldn't make it without it, so when he was leaving and gestured if he could take it, I just nodded my head and proceed to split my tortillas and other food suplies with him. The last that I ever saw of him was him scuttling off in the shadows. Later when I was telling the story to Charlito, a federal police man,, he aid that you just passed on the probability of an attack to someone else, with not so nice an ending. Never the less I considerdd that I had done right by not killing him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread