Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LCRR said:
I hate to say this but it looks like you found "funny money" as the olive branch in the offset bill is totally wrong for a twenty dollar bill. Compare a few more twenty dollar bills to it and you will notice a slight branch variation. I would take the proper action in reporting the bill and where you got it from. :'( :-\ :'(
??? Hate to diagree with you but, I don't see that at all. ???

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Looks real. Looks like a good find. Have it checked out and authenticated...don't use a "Quickie Mart" pen...don't they leave a mark on the bill? And if it is worth any premium that could hurt the value.

Just my thoughts

Dave

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alwayslookin said:
don't use a "Quickie Mart" pen...don't they leave a mark on the bill? And if it is worth any premium that could hurt the value.

Just my thoughts

Dave

Good point I forgot about. Glad you caught it Dave.

I don't think it stays Visible, But WHY take that chance.

Altho, can you trust a bank on this ?
I just wonder if they are advised to return any irregular bills
to the mint.

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
after reading this post i remember i found a off set dollar a long time ago. dealer offerd me two bucks :) no sell. i hope your is real :)

Attachments

• off set dollar 001.jpg
    off set dollar 001.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 2,516

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
First of all.........Hello Gang.....I'm back outta hybernation!

As a former bank teller.....my advice to you is to NOT take it to the bank for any advice. They are not "dealers" in currency. I did get some great coins and bills will being a teller, but they cannot advise you on what to do with it. They could tell you whether it was counterfeit or not, and if it is...they HAVE to keep it and send a report AND the bill to the government! I would do my own investigating via the internet or go buy a book!

Happy Hunting!!
Moon

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DON"T EVER SELL IT! Don't know what it is worth but definately an error. Nice find!

OP
OP
P

Plugger

after holding it up to the light it has the strip within the bill, i dont think its counterfeit. Was wondering what it would be worth?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Plugger said:
after holding it up to the light it has the strip within the bill, i dont think its counterfeit. Was wondering what it would be worth?
Do you see the proper watermark face when you hold it up to the light as I described earlier?

OP
OP
P

Plugger

yes when holding both bills up to the light they are identical only thing that separates the 2 bills is the offset serial nubmers and the seals

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
That sort of error is probably fairly common, I would say it is worth 50-100 book price. If you can find a collector who is willing to pay that!

Good luck!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MDnoob said:
That sort of error is probably fairly common, I would say it is worth 50-100 book price. If you can find a collector who is willing to pay that!

Good luck!
Yours does seem like a more common error than the one that sold for $25,000; it had a Del Monte fruit sticker printed on the bill. It must have fallen in between.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
cool find ebay would be the way to go with a decent reserve like 1000$ also if it is funny money ebay is still the way to go funny money has it's collectors too

Illinois Jeff

Feb 12, 2006
Hanover Park Illinois
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moonshadow is correct in telling you that a bank will and is required to seize it if they suspect it is counterfeit. i can tell you 1 way to test it. Ink used to print the bills never dries, this was done by design and the government is the only organization allowed to have the ink. The paper is also special and the government is the only organization allowed to have this specific grade. Simply take a plain white piece of paper, and gently rub the bill on it. If the ink is the government grade it will leave a residue on your white paper. it will not cause enough harm to the bill if done correctly. I usually use a section of the bill that appears to have a good solid print area with no wrinkles or tears. after the test you wont notice any difference. Using those counterfeit markers is the best but you are now defacing the bill and everybody out to test it may use one of those. Before long the bill will have those little test marks all over it. You may have something pretty special but allowing the wrong people to look at may backfire on you. I have been in law enforcement for 6 years and if there is any question or doubt about currency, it gets seized. There are no guarantees you would get it back.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might want to check with the American Numismatic Association at http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home. They also have a library there to look things up for yourself so if they won't help you via email let me know and I'll go there to look it up. They're in Colorado Springs and that's where I live. Never know, you may have discovered the big one!

Lucky boy

Jul 21, 2007
Houston Tx.
Detector(s) used
ACE250x2/Bounty Hunter 101/RadioShack
It is obviously a third print error, I dout it is funny money and judging by the scan it has been in circulation for a while, in order for it to be worth anything more than twenty dollars it would need to be in barley circulated to un circulated condition, i.e no rips , tears, creases, stain spots, you might find someone who really desires these error notes but I would say you wouldn't get no more than $25.00 for it, I too have a third print error note....1976 $1 dollar bill that I had a reputale coin/paper money store evaluate for me.... $3.50 HH, I decided to keep just for a conversation piece, it is in almost mint condition,

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder HH,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions