MISPRINT $20 BILL

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
That is a great error ~ even circulated it should bring more than $25 like someone else stated. Yes, it's a third print shift ~ but the shifted print is to the left, which I think is more rare than a shift to the right. I'm more of an error coin guy than an error currency guy, but I'm sure you've got a nice currency error there!

Nice going!

http://community.webtv.net/oddcoins/NeilMcElroyspagefor

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Appears real, error in the third printing (as stated above) and worth a few hundred bucks. (Would be worth way more if it were "crisp" and no creases)

Great find. No find one with 2 different serial numbers.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ILLINOISDOUG said:
I'd check it closer....Looks counterfeit

I am with Doug, it could be a counterfeit bill, if not it is definately unique and may fetch a fortune.
Good eye and good catch!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Thats a great find. I will give you ten dollars for it. ;D Put it on Ebay.
Dman

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bump to a year old thread
plugger
last log in on Apr 07, 2006, 11:36:05 PM

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Regarding scanning or displaying money on print, article, newspaper, etc, it is only illegal if you do so in the actual size, otherwise, no h arm. If you notice, in any currency collector magazine, they will print money either larger or smaller. Regarding the bill, if it is an authentic piece, than you have yourself an error note in a high denomination bill. Personally, I would hold on to it for years to come, as it would absolutely be worth well over face now and more than likely more later. If you want to authenticate the bill on your own, follow some of the advice already given, verify the watermarks, grab yourself a lens and check the microprint. Microprint is extremely hard to counterfeit. In my opinion, you have an authentic bill.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great note to find in your wallet. The best thatl I can find is a early serial number star notes.

I'd hang onto what you've got for about 25yrs before selling it though.

morgandollar

Greenie
Jun 17, 2007
S.W. Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 Bounty Hunter Land Star
Checking with UNITED STATES PATER MONEY RED BOOK, pg. 412, this is a shifted overprint. Should fetch $50 to $100 over face value.

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
Plugger said:
Found this $20 bill with the serial number and seal offset to the left anyone with information and value of this ??

As stated by another member on here this is called a Left handed shift. You should be able to find and entire sheet worth. If it is kinda crisp, you might consider checking the bank where you got it from. These bills carry a nice premium to collectors. The one member stated from 50-100$ is correct sometimes on a wing you could get more. Congrads on the find

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Yes, the bank tellers will use the stupid pen to mark the note, dont do that. Did anyone see the story about the guy who tried to open a bank account with a counterfeit 1000000 dollar bill? The news showed a picture of the bill. The dumb thing was.......The bill had been marked with a pen THREE times :P.

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OutBack Duo said:
That is quite unique, I am sure it has to be worth something. You might want to be careful scanning money, I think it is illegal.
After working in law enforcement for more years than I care to say, and working with the Secret Service, I can tell you, it is not illegal to copy money if it is done in black and white. Just as long as its not in the colors of the actual bills. ie, no color copier bills.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
WOW, I know this thread is old, but there is alot of misinformation posted.

1. Don't fold, mark, or do anything to lower the notes grade.
2. This note looks to be a genuine 3rd print shifted error.
3. Current value given it's condition is probably around $100, but error notes in lower grades have prices that fluctuate more based on the available buyers. Expect a dealer to give you about $50 on average, but a dealer that specializes in errors may offer more due their ability to move it quicker.
4. The $1 error posted is probably worth almost as much as the $20 due to it's better condition.
5. It's legal to scan and post pictures of money on the internet. It's illegal to print them out at actual size AND attempt to pass them off. It's strongly recommended to not print them at actual size to avoid any possible confusion.
6. COMPLETED Auctions are the best way to get a reference point for approximate value.
7. Moonshadow is dead on about tellers. Goto a bank and ask about $2 bills, half-dollars, Dollar coins, and you will quickly learn how many tellers don't know about money. Heck ask about the new $5 bill coming out and most will tell you that they don't know what it looks like (despite the BEP having already posted posters and educational materials for many months now)

Enjoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread