Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the highschool football field and hunted just behind the end zone. I had previously MD'd there and left some deep targets that I wanted to go back and dig. I got a signal showing a quarter size coin at 6" and started digging. At about 4" I hit some really big gravel and the digging got tough. As I was chipping my way through the gravel with my Gator tool I thought back to when I was in highschool in the early 60's and I envisioned the football field in my mind and was able to recall that the area where I was digging had been gravel then! After about another two inches I probed the hole with my pinpoint wand and got a good solid buzz! I couldn't see into the hole very well so I put my hand in and felt around until I felt the edge of a coin sticking out of the wall. I pulled it out and it was a quarter dated 1971. I started to fill the hole and had second thoughts so I ran the coil of my Garrett GTI 2500 over the hole and got another strong signal, a quarter sized coin, this time at 8"! So, I proceeded to chip away at the hard packed gravel for a couple more inches. Again I probed the hole and got a strong buzz from my pinpointer. I scooped out most of the loose dirt and gravel and found nothing! I probed the hole again and nothing! I ran the coil back over the hole and got a solid quarter hit at 1"! I carefully probed the dirt and gravel I had removed from the hole and buzzzzzzzz! I had dug the coin out of the hole and didn't know it! Sure enough there it was in the tailings. I was a quarter all right, holding my breath I wiped the dirt off the date with my thumb....... and it read........1965! Darn! Missed it by one year! One lousy year! Try as I might I couldn't find another coin at that depth. I did find several clad pennies and one dime at 4" along with another quarter dated 1989 right at the surface. I had been at it since 6:30 AM and it was nearing 9:00 AM and the sun was starting to get hot. I had been searching very methodically and slowly, concentrating deeply on the signals and I found myself exhausted! It's hard work when you really go at it seriously. I packed my gear and headed to my truck. While I was cleaning off my coil I noticed a dime and penny laying loose on the asphalt parking lot! The coins were surrendering to me without my looking! It was a good hunt, not much to show for it but I enjoyed every second. Hope your hunt was successful this morning. JIM

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Guess they saw that 2500 and decided they can run but they can't hide. ;) Their only hope is to tire you and make you give UP. ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you got out, JIM .

Rain here all day & computer Problems to Boot.

ANY WAY,

H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y !
J I M

And Happy Hunting.

J E F F

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy B/D Jim,

sounds like a good time no matter!

HH

Lonewolfe

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Happy B-day Jim. Keep at it. As much as you hunt and as persistent as you seem to be treasure is bound to start popping up for you. Just keep learning putting your time in and your gonna hit that good one soon. Have a good day.

HH Jeremy

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy birthday jim!!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jimmy, nice hunt but I have to laugh, I've found a good hand full of 1965 quarters and have yet to find an American silver coin here in Germany hunting the army posts. Should be easy, LOL! I did find a Bohemian Prager Groeschen dated around 1305-1375, still looking for the American silver. HH, Mike

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Jim and Happy B-Day!!

I have been checking my coins for some time from change and twice now I get back 1965 quarters. Always a year off, well any way I went MDing yesterday check out my post. Similar circamstances as yours, its called. (A Mini-Haul in the Playgrounds.) http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,16542.0.html

Keep at it and HH!!

M

mstary1

hi there, My names mark, a newbie from Australia, don't even have a MD yet, soon hopefully.
Anyway, what do you mean by "missed by a year"? Is the 1964 or 1966 valuable?
The reason I'm asking is that my wifes grandmother past away a few weeks ago and I'm helping clean out her room.
Mother in law and 2 daughters live in the same house. Many tins of coins were found in drawers, include a tin of US coins.
They were mainly quarters and dimes from the 60's, and 1 1942 quarter with a S mint mark. common?

thanks guys, keep up the good work

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmileo!!!!!!! It's your birthday!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mstary1 said:
hi there, My names mark, a newbie from Australia, don't even have a MD yet, soon hopefully.
Anyway, what do you mean by "missed by a year"? Is the 1964 or 1966 valuable?
The reason I'm asking is that my wifes grandmother past away a few weeks ago and I'm helping clean out her room.
Mother in law and 2 daughters live in the same house. Many tins of coins were found in drawers, include a tin of US coins.
They were mainly quarters and dimes from the 60's, and 1 1942 quarter with a S mint mark. common?

thanks guys, keep up the good work

Dimes , Quarters & Half Dollars Dated 1964 & earlier are Silver.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey Jim...Happy Birthday man!!! I used mine the same way this year. On my hands and knees at some high school ;D Hope the silver really flows for you this year~CO2

F

Floater

Great Story and Happy Birthday Jim. May you be blessed with many more Happy and Healthy. HH

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
hay Jim i was just wondering if that 1965 quarter came out clean ? because i have found some of thouse and at first glance some of them all most look like silver but then again i find 2004 quarters that look like poo ?;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread