Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the highschool football field and hunted just behind the end zone. I had previously MD'd there and left some deep targets that I wanted to go back and dig. I got a signal showing a quarter size coin at 6" and started digging. At about 4" I hit some really big gravel and the digging got tough. As I was chipping my way through the gravel with my Gator tool I thought back to when I was in highschool in the early 60's and I envisioned the football field in my mind and was able to recall that the area where I was digging had been gravel then! After about another two inches I probed the hole with my pinpoint wand and got a good solid buzz! I couldn't see into the hole very well so I put my hand in and felt around until I felt the edge of a coin sticking out of the wall. I pulled it out and it was a quarter dated 1971. I started to fill the hole and had second thoughts so I ran the coil of my Garrett GTI 2500 over the hole and got another strong signal, a quarter sized coin, this time at 8"! So, I proceeded to chip away at the hard packed gravel for a couple more inches. Again I probed the hole and got a strong buzz from my pinpointer. I scooped out most of the loose dirt and gravel and found nothing! I probed the hole again and nothing! I ran the coil back over the hole and got a solid quarter hit at 1"! I carefully probed the dirt and gravel I had removed from the hole and buzzzzzzzz! I had dug the coin out of the hole and didn't know it! Sure enough there it was in the tailings. I was a quarter all right, holding my breath I wiped the dirt off the date with my thumb....... and it read........1965! Darn! Missed it by one year! One lousy year! Try as I might I couldn't find another coin at that depth. I did find several clad pennies and one dime at 4" along with another quarter dated 1989 right at the surface. I had been at it since 6:30 AM and it was nearing 9:00 AM and the sun was starting to get hot. I had been searching very methodically and slowly, concentrating deeply on the signals and I found myself exhausted! It's hard work when you really go at it seriously. I packed my gear and headed to my truck. While I was cleaning off my coil I noticed a dime and penny laying loose on the asphalt parking lot! The coins were surrendering to me without my looking! It was a good hunt, not much to show for it but I enjoyed every second. Hope your hunt was successful this morning. JIM

Upvote 0

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy birthday to you, Jimbo. I hope this year brings lots of silver coins to you.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=8pt]
hbeaton said:
What years were nickels silver?

[size=8pt]
Gold Digger said:
LOL... Nickels are, and always have been Nickel...

Sorry, but you forgot about War Nickles 35% Silver minted from 1942-1945 or should I not be giving this information out? Anyway they minted them to slow down the use of Nickel a valued war material. (Please see pages 117 and 118 of your Red Book)

HH!!

Attachments

• silverbars.jpg
    silverbars.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 284
  • silverbars.jpg
    silverbars.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 284

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Stoney

A VERY FITTING CARD ;D

Jeff

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Happy b day jim.i believe for the most part there are more coins from 1965 than almost any other year which means we get teased alot by"almost" silver coins.Its like how God teases metal detectorists by making a common item like foil read like gold!

peace,bigrig

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
Way to keep with it Jim. I'm glad you found those coins. I do love finding those free "pickers" as well. I actually keep my "pickers" in a separate container and I probably have around $30+ in 2 years time.

Happy belated Birthday as well.........All the best!

GL & HH,

DugHoles

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
happy b-day buddy! seems we both have the curse of 1965 quarters! sooner or later something has got to give!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old quarter came out pretty nasty looking but I could read all of the date except the last digit. It read 196? There was some old asphalt down there so I was hoping is was discolored with that, but no! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread