Mississippian action

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
With all the recent rain I decided to hit a nearby construction site along the river. It's basically a new subdivision with a dirt road and a couple foundations started. I've found some scrapers and a couple broken triangles walking the dirt road. I decided to walk about a half mile further than I've been before and started getting discouraged because slate mixed into the dirt was making things nearly impossible. Then I noticed a recently exposed high spot about 40 yards from the river. I found a little heartbreaker triangle right away, made of high quality flint. About 20 feet from that I found two more black triangles. Then I walked up on some pretty exotic material I've never seen before, it's orange, red, and translucent, really high quality material. One of the better triangles I've ever found was sitting just inches from a used up core of the same material. Unfortunately heavy rains forced me back home, I'm going back this evening.

Upvote 0
that one on the bottom left is awsome,great color :thumbsup: jamey

Its a miracle I think to ever get one with a tip. Why I like finding them :thumbsup:.
Those things would drive deep into its prey. Great looking flint? Whatever it is.
Nice. Be sure to post what you get tomorrow.
TnMtns

thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it. jamey, I've only found one other point of that material, and it was a heartbreaker blade with no base. I dont think it's local, pretty rare for these parts.

Tn, thanks man, I agree I'm always shocked when they're all there. I'd say I find one good example for every 20 broken ones. I didn't find anything but flakes and a broken tool tonight. Triangular warpoints are some of my favorites.

Nice finds, thirty7! That "exotic material" of yours almost looks like some of the chert from here in Oklahoma.
Please keep us posted if you find out what it is.
regards, sandcreek

thats a beautiful triangle,if i had found that here in central ohio i would have called it flint ridge.great material and pics.good luck on your next hunt in that spot.get the hoover out!

Keep coming back to see that red point. If I found it here lol (i wish) it would be a Guntersville. My points are just like that. Nice point.

TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back