recent ohio finds

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
had a couple decent hunts this week,nothing spectacular but its always fun being in the dirt.anyone ever see a birds nest in the dirt of a freshly plowed field?
050209_1448a.jpg

050209_1650a.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection342.jpg

050209_1647a.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection343.jpg

043009_1106a.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection350.jpg

043009_1409a.jpg

050209_1420b.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection344.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection347.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection348.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection351.jpg

greg-rocksartifactcollection352.jpg

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
good hunting greg, alot of interesting materials and types, nicely done. that's the first time I've ever seen a nest in a field.

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Greg,

Great finds!! Very productive hunt!!

The nest you found belongs to a Killdeer. They always put their nest in fields. Quite a few are destroyed when the fields get plowed or planted. It does not seem to hurt the population any. If she had been there when you came up on the nest , she really would have put on a show for you. They will walk all around you dragging a wing on the ground and making all kinds of noise. She will do her best to convince you that she is a easy meal to lead you away from her nest. It is a very good acting job!!

Twig.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that material is spectacular. You made some great finds .Good post. I was thinking about the nest and could not place it and then saw Bent twigs reply. She is so right, those birds are hilarious the way they carry on when you get close to a nest. They make a noise that sounds like key key. Thanks for the post and that field has some beautiful points.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thanks for all the comments everyone,and thx for the info on the birds nest Bent-Twig,TnMountains,very interesting, wish i could have gotten to see that bird at her nest. :thumbsup:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good points,those killdeer are neat.they act like they got a broken wing and let you get kinda close to them then take off and do it all over again,lots of them were i grew up in michigan. jamey

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Howdy,
Those are some nice points.Typical variety of beautiful Ohio flint.Kildeer nest it seems.But BEWARE! The red winged blackbird.Every year out looking for arrowheads it seems I,m, attacked by this bird for being to close to it young.Anyone else been attacked by the monster redwing LOL ?
Ohioriverhunter

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool...My eyes have been fixated on the flash of flint since I was a youngster. Ohio's fields and creeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread