Missouri Civil War lead

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
Before the 4 inches of snow fell today, Abe and I were able Sunday to get out to a relatively new field for us and detect for about 5 hours. Did fairly well, finding over 30 dropped .56 caliber Minnie bullets and a couple of shot pieces. In the two trips to this field with Abe this time and Jeff before, we have found over 80 dropped bullets and a handful of other lead pieces. Many of the bullets have the appearance of being wormed and there are a few pieces of melted lead as well. We have only scratched 1/20th of this area so our hopes are high to find the actual campsite itself. This snow gives Abe and me a chance to do some map and book research on the field.

The first pic is of the combined haul and the second pic is my after cleaned pieces.

I love this hobby/passion.

Attachments

• 2-12-12.jpg
    2-12-12.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 554
  • 2-12-12 after.jpg
    2-12-12 after.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0

aftr60ipfrely

Aug 25, 2011

with all those bullets wormed, i would say the soldiers were ordered to unload their weapons before entering camp.

Now it is your mission to go find that virgin camp loaded with buckles, buttons, coins, misc brass, carved bullets etc. Be sure to do a good job of marking all those finds with you gps and transferring the waypoints to a topo map. Never mind the fact that taking waypoints is going to cut down on your hunt time and zap your energy. There are too many hunters out there just looking for treasure. What about the overall history of the site ?

There is more to it than just digging an artifact to say, look what I found. History needs to be retained with that artifact. I am not saying to give all artifacts and their locations to the feds by any means. We all know they have enough artifacts stored away that will never be seen by us..... ever.

IF you do not find a camp that has not yet been ravaged, wouldn't it be neat to see how those waypoints lay out on a map. Those artifacts can talk in this manner. That could become a story to be told, that could become a presentation. Why Doctor Scott up there in Lincoln Nebraska (battlefield archaeologist) would downright be proud of you.

Give it some thought before you dig another artifact and another and another. After you dig your 183rd minie bullet, what do you have ?

Good hunting to you and Abe !

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Lead finds :icon_thumright: I've resized your photos to fit the screen for easier viewing :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2-12-12.jpg
    2-12-12.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 565
  • 2-12-12 after.jpg
    2-12-12 after.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 566

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Ole' Missouri White Lead :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

mikeshayne

Jul 24, 2011
Missouri
{Sentinel} said:
Nice Lead finds :icon_thumright: I've resized your photos to fit the screen for easier viewing :thumbsup:

Thank you sir, I always forget to do that. I guess I am in too much of a hurry to hit the post button.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great job! But I have to agree with "aftr60ipfrely". GPS a site that large. The story that will unfold will place so much more meaning to the items you find. Well done!!!! :hello2:

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!
:icon_thumright:

Joe

hdmech71

Jan 25, 2012
wv
Detector(s) used
F75 se / Minelab Soveriogn / sunray probe/ whites classic Id/ pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. that looks like a great day of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread