Missouri Swimming Holes?

OP
OP
DiggerDude101

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
Ok Is there any others? There has got to be more than one swimming hole in Missouri. Anyone elso have any spots?

D

deacon

Check out where the kids are swimming now as many use the same place their grandparents did, also talk to the older folks in an area as to where they use to go. They will love the company and can offer a wealth of info and you might just strike up a long term friendship.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
east of Portage Des Souix Mo. in St. Charles county theres the old Sun tan beach on hiway H. it was a lake that was very popular before the floods of 83.it may be under a lot of sand after that flood and the one in the 90s.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place I've been to is out at Table Rock... there's some rocks out there by a bridge & a Pizza Hut (on the water) that me and my college friends have gone to for YEARS to jump off the cliffs. I don't know how deep it is, but I'm betting you could find some good stuff right below the cliffs. They range from approx. 50 feet to only a few feet right down the bank. I've seen alot of other people out there jumping almost every time I've been out there.

Bran <><

rashrider

Jul 31, 2010
There are many swimming holes and opportunities for tubing and canoeing in the clear rivers and springs in southeastern Missouri - in the Ozark Mountains .Swimming is the sport of playing in the water. A swimming hole is a place in a river, stream, creek, spring or other body of water that is deep enough to swim in. Most of the time a swimming hole is located in moving water, but people can also swim in the ocean and in lakes. This section of Backcountry Secrets is our list of places to swim in the outdoors.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make friends with old people, they love to tell you about all their old swimming holes if you ask. Local museums & libraries can also be good places to look, often the staff at these places can even direct you to that information. :thumbsup:

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
I know the trouble you are going through. Western Missouri is harder to find swimming holes. Many of the streams have steap banks that drop 10+ feet from edge down to water. I have drivin many roads following maps with streams only to find that they are dang near impossible to get to because of the steapness and all the clay. When you do find one though you may want to look for more than just metal. Those same areas have native american artifacts as well.

Martimus Rex

Dec 11, 2009
IL / MO
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 DI SE 3
You can hit any section of river that has high traffic in floating. Some sections have been floated since the late 1800s. You can either look in the water or the gravel bars. People lose all kinds of stuff.

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
In Jasper Mo. when we were kids (early 60's - 70's ) there was a pond we all went swimming at. The pond and the land was (is ?) owned by Dr. Fred Krusekoff, he was the town veterinarian. He was also our boy scout master in the 60's. Dr. Krusekoff passed away about 5 years ago I think. He had this pond just outside of town everyone knew it as 'Doc's Pond' Dr.Krusekoff had built a small wooden pier with a wooden diving board on the end of the pier. Every kid in town swam there.
Back then the pond was very well known it was a well known meeting and picnic place. Doc was a straight shooter kind of fella in that he wouldn't let just anybody through the gate. So there wasn't late night drinking parties out there, so probably not a lot of heavy trash. Doc and his wife did not live on the property they lived in town, but if you wanted to go for a swim you just got permission and off you went.
It's been a very long time since I have been in that area, I will try to find the pond on google maps and post it. If you go to www.Topix.com and type in Jasper Mo. you can put up a thread about Docs Pond, and I am sure someone will let you know if people still swim there and were it's located... like I said I will take time later today and see if I can find it on the google maps.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Vin-Diesel
When my wife and I married in '72 we used to go to Jasper all the time and stay with her aunt and uncle on the north side of town next to the railroad tracks. Did you know Wilma and Hershel Hoenshell? We spent many great weekends at their farm.
Ken

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try deer creek near lake of the ozarks and areas of lake , my grand parents swiming in them since , since the 50s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread