Missouri Token ID Help

Turborick

Nov 16, 2006
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
This token was found at a recreational site in central Missouri that was in use from the early 1800s to the mid 1900s. It is about the size of a dime but is just a little thicker and I believe that it is brass.

On one side of the token it reads B T & G V (or G W) across the top and has 5 ¢ across the center and on the reverse it reads St Louis Engraving Company. I am looking for any information anyone might have but hope to be able to determine approx. date and possible collector interest. Thanks for looking.

Rick

Attachments

• 121_2151.JPG
    121_2151.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 121_2171.JPG
    121_2171.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 188

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Per Bruce Smith's article in the February 2003 issue of the Journal of the Token and Medal Society, the St. Louis Engraving Co. was in business for a long time, but only produced tokens 1892-1900. Figuring who the initials represent is the big challenge. Good luck!
John in ID

OP
OP
Turborick

Turborick

Nov 16, 2006
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Good evening Idaho, thanks for the info that will give me a great start. As for the initials, I have been looking at railroads and trolley companies but have not gotten anywhere yet. I think it is cool to find an out of the area token here and I am having fun trying to track down its history. Thanks again.

Rick

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess would be that the initials belong to the partners who operated the pool hall or cigar store where this token was used.
John in ID

OP
OP
Turborick

Turborick

Nov 16, 2006
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
John you are probably right and that means I may never know for sure but I am really glad to have a date range and this token is still one of my favorite relics. :) I think it will probably just go into the box with the other stuff I don't know what to do with but like and want to keep. Thanks again for your reply and help.

Rick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread