Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is one I have wanted a to ask for a while. Does more money spent on a detector always or generally mean a better detector? This is just a topic I wanted to open up and hear some opinions on and some experiences. What have you seen or bought that was cheaper but better than the guy next to you? Or a best bang for your buck? I'm happily newly married to my CTX so I'm not looking but figured this topic may be of interest to many. Thank you in advance.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So here is one I have wanted a to ask for a while. Does more money spent on a detector always or generally mean a better detector? This is just a topic I wanted to open up and hear some opinions on and some experiences. What have you seen or bought that was cheaper but better than the guy next to you? Or a best bang for your buck? I'm happily newly married to my CTX so I'm not looking but figured this topic may be of interest to many. Thank you in advance.

in my opinion it depends more on the experience of the person swinging the detector. I could have the best detector in the world and guys like Calabash digger could out hunt me without even trying hard on the same ground hunting within 50 yards of each other. Some guys become one with their detector and know it so well and of course hunt by their ears more so than the VDI.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Thats easy. It could be yes or it could be no. More money or less money don't matter, unless you connect with your machine and learn its nuances identifying targets. So much of detecting successfully is the result of personal judgement honed by years of experience. Combine that with a capable detector and your rocking. ( What I have described is my opinion and in no way describes me. At best I only roll occasionally.)

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The detector must became your best friend, no wait, your best lover (just don't let the better half know). Money only matters to those who sell them.

Like others have said "learn your detector". At first dig "everything". It's the only way to know for sure what and how your detector is reading a target.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is certain that some of the newer, more expensive metal detectors are more sensitive and give you more depth when searching for targets, experience and knowledge of metal detecting and the metal detector being used often make up for any deficiencies that older metal detectors may have. I have seen folks with 10 year old to older metal detectors out metal detect guys that have the newest, best metal detectors in the world. Heck, I have even done it to some folks and I have been smoked by others. Making sure that you know your' metal detector, the best way to swing it, make the best settings and having the metal detector tuned by the factory for its best capability, does a lot in finding more targets.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at like buying a car, an electric smart car will get you from point A to Point B so do you really need anything better? (I do)

The difference is based on how you hunt and where your hunting. You want to hunt salt water beaches, you will need to spend minimum of $600-$700, someone who knows his $300 detector backward and forward will do better than someone who doesn't know their $2,000 detector well and someone who knows their $2000 detector will do better due to the increased depth and extra bells and whistles of the detector.

OP
OP
S

Stuperduke

May 30, 2017
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
GPX-4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, knowledge of a detector is an incredible must. As I am currently learning the CTX, it is incredible how lack of knowledge and experience can make such a world of difference. Digging everything but making sure to learn what you are seeing and hearing is incredible. I found that when I first started, it was easy to get too excited and think that just because I heard a beep, that was enough. Interpreting the information our arm held computers are telling us is a task, but for the time being, the learning process is somewhat more fun than what I am digging.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, usually the more you spend on a detector the better it is. The question wasn’t results, it was about the machine. There are some exceptions of course. I own a Mjnelab Safari which is just over $1000 new. The Equinox is a few hundred less and is probably a superior machine.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, usually the more you spend on a detector the better it is. The question wasn’t results, it was about the machine. There are some exceptions of course. I own a Mjnelab Safari which is just over $1000 new. The Equinox is a few hundred less and is probably a superior machine.

Thats just it...More money typically means, more features, better discrimination. But you cant buy common sense , patience or luck.

No different than me buying a Corvette to drive around a racetrack....Car might be fast, but it doesn't mean I could handle it.

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats just it...More money typically means, more features, better discrimination. But you cant buy common sense , patience or luck.

No different than me buying a Corvette to drive around a racetrack....Car might be fast, but it doesn't mean I could handle it.
Right but he didn’t mention common sense or patients. He also didn’t ask about results, simply is a more expensive machine better. Generally yes, they’re better.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right but he didn’t mention common sense or patients. He also didn’t ask about results, simply is a more expensive machine better. Generally yes, they’re better.

totes agree.

I do think its " not wise" to start a hobby with a high dollar machine unless I knew it was something I would be with for awhile.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any higher end machine with the coil over a target will do

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread