moccasin last

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Archeologist C.G. Yeager mentions them in a small paragraph in his book and remarked that he has seen only one in a collection and thats IF what he saw was actually a moccasin last. A few years ago I bought one (only artifact that I have ever purchased besides broken arrowheads) from a man that found it on the desert back in the 70's. He had a very large collection of larger artifacts, axe heads, adzes,celts etc, but it was the foot/shoe looking rock that drew my attention so I bought it . While speaking with the seller another man was standing there and said that he also found one out on the desert while deer hunting and it looked just like the one that I bought. I sent a photo of mine to Mr Yeager to get his opinion and he wrote:

"If there were, in fact, moccasin lasts, this would certainly be one. It's without a doubt one of the nicest shaped stones I've ever seen. Also, there does not appear to be "use wear marks" as would be present on a grind stone or mano."

My question has anybody else found one out there?

I would post a photo if I knew how to do it, duh!!! I would be glad to send a photo to anyone that would be interested in looking at it.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

the point being...no one has to sit still for any length of time to had a moccasin fitted to their foot. and of course to repeat....Indians didn't have "one size fits all" feet either, so you would need dozens of lasts to fit a band of folk, a place to store them and someone to take the time to grind out stone feet. Remember too, we have ALL found these, that shape natural stone is not uncommon or unusual.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
the point being...no one has to sit still for any length of time to had a moccasin fitted to their foot. and of course to repeat....Indians didn't have "one size fits all" feet either, so you would need dozens of lasts to fit a band of folk, a place to store them and someone to take the time to grind out stone feet. Remember too, we have ALL found these, that shape natural stone is not uncommon or unusual.

to repeat, from one pattern you can scribe many many sizes. Funny so many turn up in places where people hunt for indian artifacts,,,, known sites.

I just think it would be easier to sew something together as such if it there was some resistance as one pulled the lashings tight. And that use wouldn't require the perfect fit most people here are thinking was needed.

OP
OP
J

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I started this thread a few years ago with a wondering type post. A few of the answers/replies were of a condescending nature and really uncalled for. Many of us are/were pretty new at collecting and are looking for some sort of guidance. The picture of the moccasin last that I posted was found by a man who found it back in the 70's at an indian site that was loaded with artifacts. His research brought him to the conclusion that it was a last. I followed up with conversations and photos with an actual archeologist who gave me his opinion which was basically "if" they existed. No one really knows for sure. If that rock that I have was used "once" by an indian would that not make it a moccasin last? Unfortunately others posted photos after me and were referred to as having, "vivid imaginations". There have been 5,221 people view this post and only 60 replied. Maybe there is a reason.

I am a flintknapper. If I drop or loose a point today what time frame does it have to go thru before it is considered an artifact and who makes that determination and by what authority?

Last edited:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering, is the idea of a "moccasin last" or the use of similar to a "sock darning egg"? I'm a little foggy on what it is really supposed to be? I mean no disrespect, but I have seen moccasins made, and have never seen them made with anything like that. I have a little knowledge of leather and hide working, and my feeling is, if they used stone in such a way to "shape" a moccasin, it would take much longer to shape a stone for use in that way than it would be worth. Really, a person could make 10 moccasins in the same amount of time that it would take to "shape" a stone for that kind of use. And, really to be effective in that way, that said person would have to have several stones, of various sizes, which would take even MORE time to make! Moccasins were not a "one size fits all item", to my knowledge, but I am not an expert in this area. I do however think I can put myself into the moccasin's maker's "shoes"(lol), or thinking pattern, and the more I think on it, the less sense it makes to have the stone to make them. Once again, I am not an expert on this!:laughing7:

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to repeat, from one pattern you can scribe many many sizes. Funny so many turn up in places where people hunt for indian artifacts,,,, known sites.

I just think it would be easier to sew something together as such if it there was some resistance as one pulled the lashings tight. And that use wouldn't require the perfect fit most people here are thinking was needed.
Ah, I see.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What always gets me is if they even made moccasin lasts, why rock? And why aren't there hundreds of these to be found? And why not wood?

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What always gets me is if they even made moccasin lasts, why rock? And why aren't there hundreds of these to be found? And why not wood?

Yeah, thinking the same thing. Why not wood? There's also this cogent observation, which I found in the info center of another artifact related site:

"In fact no known Native American footwear required a stone last since stiff shoes were not produced, as far as we know. “Hard” leather or rawhide was only used for the soles of moccasins (and some were also made from pliable leather), the upper parts being soft and supple. There was no particular need for a three dimensional last – a simple flat template for the sole would have sufficed and the foot itself would readily serve that purpose. Having cut a pair of soles from rawhide, there’s no reason why those soles could not have been used as templates for successive pairs of shoes if a template was needed at all. If stone lasts were used, they would surely turn up in huge numbers."

Native Americans were much more practical then to have used stone, given the above simple facts. I should think. A last is used with hard leather to make stiff shoes. But if Native Americans did not use hard leather to make moccasins, and did not make stiff shoes, well then they did not need lasts, stone or otherwise.

I have also by now found numerous 18th century accounts of settlers making moccasins on the fly when their European style shoes wore out. Nowhere in their descriptions do they mention packing a moccasin last, of any material, in their gear. In addition, regarding the alleged stone lasts. Can anybody show an example that has clearly been pecked and ground into shape? I've never seen anything but natural rocks resembling feet.

Early settler accounts of making moccasins on the fly, etc. no mention of lasts at all, and I find it implausible that they would be packing lasts in their gear before setting out on their explorations, etcetera:

http://ofsortsforprovincials.blogspot.com/2011/05/moccasins-and-shoe-packs.html

http://buffalotrace1765.blogspot.com/2010/10/moccasin-makingrepair-kitor-i-need-to.html

Have any indisputable stone lasts ever been excavated in context? Are these in the same league as flint thunderbirds? Not quite, the thunderbirds are faked. But have either been found in an actual context as a clearly recognized artifact? Or are the "lasts" all rocks that look like feet? I think one bottom line is the practical nature of things would seem to preclude the use of stone in favor of wood or leather itself. But no lasts at all were apparently required to make a moccasin. I believe there is sufficient reason to doubt the existence of stone moccasin lasts. If there was no need for them, we can be reasonably certain natives did not make use of them.

Last edited:

Crystaljoy

Apr 9, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone foot found. Could someone tell me what I could be

You can post images by clicking on the "go advanced" button, then click on "manage attachments"...from there you browse, select and UPLOAD them.
Hello. I recently found a stone right foot that was with many other Indian artifacts. Ive been reading that its most like not a mocassin last but dies anyone have an idea what it could be? I am located in SE Idaho and these artifacts seem to be from Idaho, Oregon and possibly Washington. Any help identifying it would be very helpful. There does seem to be indian carvings on it and a round depression on the outside of the foot. Thank you in advance. 1618023524865149876548902131554.jpg 16180235792818324523328004794107.jpg 16180236236132459073610377969602.jpg 16180236870605567605344543936934.jpg 16180237713395010950261273690685.jpg 16180238460516543931117124875619.jpg 16180238746874907493003125666334.jpg 16180239304048935419079197180594.jpg 1618023524865149876548902131554.jpg 16180235792818324523328004794107.jpg 16180236236132459073610377969602.jpg 16180236870605567605344543936934.jpg 16180237713395010950261273690685.jpg 16180238460516543931117124875619.jpg 16180238746874907493003125666334.jpg 16180239304048935419079197180594.jpg

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someday I'll dig out my baby moccasin bootie last and share the photo. It was a right foot, I looked on the site for years for the matching left one. I never found it and figured they must have had it bronzed.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
where are you? SE Idaho is a great spot... all of S Idaho is... and go down to NV too! High desert is like a giant beach.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Crystaljoy, yours just like the rest in this thread are natural rock and imagination.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
by the way, this is a very good thread on the subject and it is good that it popped up again.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I completely disagree that there were any "moccasin lasts". When I was young my sister and I made many moccasins from scratch. We also made several different styles over the years. They lasted well in the woods but if worn on concrete they wore through fairly quickly. for the more common moccasins you merely stand on a piece of leather while somebody traces around your feet. There is a formula (this was over 60 years ago) which I have forgotten about how much leather you leave outside the feet pattern to bend up and stitch in the front top. The back is slit twice at the heel, folded up and stitched. One pair would usually last a summer and growing kids need new shoes often. I think my mother was pretty smart teaching us how to make them since for short money we had new shoes every year. Of course we had nice shoes for school (all though many were hand me downs), but spent the summers and warm weekends in mocs. I also had a breechclout (breechcloth) that I wore in the woods for years. Had a flannel center with leather ends. Also my mother made me a leather vest which I embellished with a nice lazy stitch beaded pattern. You used to be able to buy a southwestern style moccasin kit from Tandy Leather called "Sequoia Moc" and one could easily have made them without the kit or any lasts by the foot tracing method and just making the southwestern higher ankle cover fit. I think you only need a last to make white man's shoes with a thick sole sewn to a thin leather upper. NA mocs never had thick soles. Once I shocked some rabbit hunters in the woods when they came up on me with a dead rabbit on my belt, wearing a breech clout and mocs, with a light lance with a real dug stone point tip which was bloody from my getting the rabbit with it. They had beagles and shotguns, no rabbits, I think I was 13 at the time, summer of 1960.

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of the vest my mother made me and I beaded 61 years ago when I was twelve. Took me most of the summer to do it and was very hard using the split cowhide leather rather than NA tanned deerhide.

660FD718-00F7-4B9C-B993-07B7CE770C15_1_201_a.jpeg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
this is not the only thread either.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions