Modding the rods on an Xterra 70

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got an X-70 and I love the way it works. However, the first thing I had to do was get a shorter lower rod to help shift the balance. However, this unit is still a little nose heavy, even with the stock coil. What I'm wondering is , if anybody has ever tried shortening the middle rod and glueing in a little weight inside the top rod, behind the armrest? I'm asking because I compared the balance between this lightweight detector and my MXT and the MXT, even though its a pound and a half heavier, is still better balanced, with the box under the arm. I want to get a 10.5" DD coil for the X-70, but I know that unless I do something like this mod, it'll actually feel heavier than my MXT.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a locking collar for the mid to lower rod connection? I'm going to buy a spare mid and cut it down and remount the locking collar, to help remove weight, that I will then add back behind the armrest.

Bill

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill I think Kellco sell the twist lock now, they also have the short rod too. I think I seen them both in there new accessories section under x-Terra 70
Hope that helps some Don

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Don, got everything I need to try the modification and yes I got what need from KCo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions