ok how good is the new EXPLORER SE PRO COIL?

is it worth upgrading from the slim line to the pro coil?

• yes get the pro coil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no stay with the slim line

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
hollowpointred said:
this pro coil has been out for a while now. lets hear those opinions. :wink:

I'm speechless!! :-X

For sheer performance, it's the best coil Minelab has made for the Explorer! In noisy ground, it is rock solid. It's less prone to electrical interference. It has improved target separation over the original coil. And it goes deep!

The only thing right now that's a little disturbing to me(I'm trying to understand the reason for this right now), is an increase in shoulder/chest muscle pain/stiffness/spasming. I talked to another user on my other forum about it, and he has been suffering too with the new coil, so I'm not the only one. He put his older 1050 coil back on, and his pain has subsided. I've never had a problem before using an older Exp. II 1050 coil. I have a hunch why......I'm thinking the coil's geometry is to blame. I have noticed an increase in the drag force while sweeping/scrubbing the ground. Its more open design causes the blades of turf to catch, which increases the force/energy needed to swing. Or, it could possibly be the larger surface area it has (11") which causes this. I like to scrub the turf when I swing. I don't like swinging a coil off the ground. That's just my theory though. With this coil, after a good 4 hour hunt where I'm digging 30-40+ 6-9" plugs, my muscles get overworked. I remember with the 1050 coil, I could dig over 50+ plugs for an 8 hour period, and I was less tired than with the shorter hunt with the SE Pro coil. The coil is lighter (by a little over 2 ounces) than the older stock coil, so I know the weight has nothing to do with it.

Just my 2 Cents worth. For performance, the coil is awesome though!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Captn_SE said:
hollowpointred said:
this pro coil has been out for a while now. lets hear those opinions. :wink:

I'm speechless!! :-X

For sheer performance, it's the best coil Minelab has made for the Explorer! In noisy ground, it is rock solid. It's less prone to electrical interference. It has improved target separation over the original coil. And it goes deep!

The only thing right now that's a little disturbing to me(I'm trying to understand the reason for this right now), is an increase in shoulder/chest muscle pain/stiffness/spasming. I talked to another user on my other forum about it, and he has been suffering too with the new coil, so I'm not the only one. He put his older 1050 coil back on, and his pain has subsided. I've never had a problem before using an older Exp. II 1050 coil. I have a hunch why......I'm thinking the coil's geometry is to blame. I have noticed an increase in the drag force while sweeping/scrubbing the ground. Its more open design causes the blades of turf to catch, which increases the force/energy needed to swing. Or, it could possibly be the larger surface area it has (11") which causes this. I like to scrub the turf when I swing. I don't like swinging a coil off the ground. That's just my theory though. With this coil, after a good 4 hour hunt where I'm digging 30-40+ 6-9" plugs, my muscles get overworked. I remember with the 1050 coil, I could dig over 50+ plugs for an 8 hour period, and I was less tired than with the shorter hunt with the SE Pro coil. The coil is lighter (by a little over 2 ounces) than the older stock coil, so I know the weight has nothing to do with it.

Just my 2 Cents worth. For performance, the coil is awesome though!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

maybe someone will make those little inserts to plug the holes on the coil. that would help with weeds and stuff getting tangeled in the coil. i am seriously looking at picking one of these coils up soon. how does it pin point?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
how does it pin point?

I forgot to mention that. Pinpointing is improved on this coil. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not. Depends how deep/close my desired target is to a shallower piece of trash/clad. The machine still wants to lock onto the shallower/stronger target, but that is a function of the machine and not the coil. The sweet spot now is in the center of the coil. The older 1050 coil, the sweet spot was somewhat behind the coil's center. The only negatives I've heard with it is that it has a shorter cable, which may present a problem for taller people (no problem for me ;D) who lengthen their lower shaft to the max, and the cheapy coil cover that was made with a lip, and has gaps underneath which allow dirt/grass/sand to get between the coil and cover.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
The only thing right now that's a little disturbing to me(I'm trying to understand the reason for this right now), is an increase in shoulder/chest muscle pain/stiffness/spasming.

I noticed this as well and just assumed that it was only me! It has not been friendly to my shoulder area. And I am just 26 and workout often with weights, etc. It was never an issue with the 1050 coil. But, I cannot argue with the coins it has been finding and how deep some of them have been!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
bscofield6 said:
Captn_SE said:
The only thing right now that's a little disturbing to me(I'm trying to understand the reason for this right now), is an increase in shoulder/chest muscle pain/stiffness/spasming.

I noticed this as well and just assumed that it was only me! It has not been friendly to my shoulder area. And I am just 26 and workout often with weights, etc. It was never an issue with the 1050 coil. But, I cannot argue with the coins it has been finding and how deep some of them have been!

Thanks for that info!! I've talked to a few on this forum and another on my CA forum, and they are all saying that the Pro Coil is tiring them out much faster than their 1050's ever did. One of my friends had to go back to using his 1050. It's creating a little more drag in the turf than the 1050 does. That small additional force needed for each swing of the coil adds up over time. But the darn thing sure does find what I'm looking for.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
bscofield6 said:
Captn_SE said:

Thanks for that info!! I've talked to a few on this forum and another on my CA forum, and they are all saying that the Pro Coil is tiring them out much faster than their 1050's ever did. One of my friends had to go back to using his 1050. It's creating a little more drag in the turf than the 1050 does. That small additional force needed for each swing of the coil adds up over time. But the darn thing sure does find what I'm looking for.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Yeah, I've learned to put up with it since it is finding on average about 5x what other explorer users with me each day are finding. Some days I can come up with 30+ older coins and 2 or 3 other explorer users combined won't get 10 between them.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Well I got the Pro coil yesterday and took it out for a few hours.

I am not totally sold on it but I only got to hunt with it for 4 hours. I will say that I dug three dimes one at 8 inches one at 9 inches and the other at 10.5 inches!!! Something I haven't done with my Explorer in a LONG time. I also found a Canadian Cent between 9 and 10 inches. So I can see where the depth is MUCH better on this coil.

Pinpointing is easy with the thing. I did have 6 holes where there was nothing there. This hasn't happened to me in a long time. The machine would say the signal was in the four inch range and I would dig a big hole and find NOTHING. I remember having the same problem when I first started using the Explorer. :icon_scratch:

I can say I am a little more sore this morning than I usually am after swinging the new coil. Must be the drag everyone is talking about.

I will also say that I dug some TINY targets last night about 8 times the number I have been digging, so the target resolution on this coil is VERY impressive.

I will have to try the coil out some more in a few of our better locations to see if I missed anything. So far my opinion of this coil is that it is good, but not sure if it was good enough to pay the extra $$ to get it.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
mastereagle22 said:
Well I got the Pro coil yesterday and took it out for a few hours.

I am not totally sold on it but I only got to hunt with it for 4 hours. I will say that I dug three dimes one at 8 inches one at 9 inches and the other at 10.5 inches!!! Something I haven't done with my Explorer in a LONG time. I also found a Canadian Cent between 9 and 10 inches. So I can see where the depth is MUCH better on this coil.

Pinpointing is easy with the thing. I did have 6 holes where there was nothing there. This hasn't happened to me in a long time. The machine would say the signal was in the four inch range and I would dig a big hole and find NOTHING. I remember having the same problem when I first started using the Explorer. :icon_scratch:

I can say I am a little more sore this morning than I usually am after swinging the new coil. Must be the drag everyone is talking about.

I will also say that I dug some TINY targets last night about 8 times the number I have been digging, so the target resolution on this coil is VERY impressive.

I will have to try the coil out some more in a few of our better locations to see if I missed anything. So far my opinion of this coil is that it is good, but not sure if it was good enough to pay the extra $$ to get it.

Larry, the Pro Coil is every bit worth the $$$. Well, at least for me it was worth it. Did you expect it to find you a cache of gold coins on your first time out? ;D ;D Look at the streak I'm on. ;D I never would have been able to do this with my 1050 this year. Last year was a different story. Lots more silver in my area last year than this year. I was digging coins to 10" yesterday that my friend, who was using a Quattro, couldn't even hear with his stock 1050 coil. And this place is real trashy, so the Pro Coil can really pick through the trash like an 8" coil can. I've also been finding the smallest pieces of wheaties too.

Remember, just a little sensitivity goes a long way. (21-24, manual).

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Ok Captn

I was trying to be HONEST about my experience so far with the coil.

I was impressed with depth and resolution on the small stuff.

Of course I expect this thing to not only find the good deep silver but I expect it to make it appear!!!! ::) :tongue3: :tard: :wink: :D ;D

The truth is BB and my run of GREAT places to hunt came to a screaching halt! So now it's back to research and hard work to get some more places to go out and dig some treasures.

And I'm not sure what that sens translates to on the EX II but I was running between 17 and 20 last night with an iron mask of -14. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread