Mogi's Dade County Pair

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Dade county pair.jpg These two were wanting their picture together tonight. Fossilized Smith and Beaver Lake from Dade County Missouri! Heavy minerals and patina. Beaver Lake was retrieved from a cave. B.T.W. the Smith is pushing 4 1/2 so that Beaver Lake ain't no baby!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,great colors.

OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
So, in you guys EXPERT OPINION - They are fake. Right?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You doubt the authenticity? Just want to make sure i understand.

Not sayin that at all. Just it being a personal find, would think you would have said if it was.

OP
OP
M

mogi

Nov 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sayin that at all. Just it being a personal find, would think you would have said if it was.

Sir, I have posted so many personal finds on here only for them to be called fake,wrong material,providence,etc which shows me over and over without a doubt that the people that think they know it all - DON'T! So, why even bother to list anything. They are going to chime in with all of their negative comments and let everyone know that they are the only ones on this forum with real arrowheads and artifacts. I have not tried to sell anything here nor have i ever sold an arrowhead, so i am either posting all genuine and quality artifacts or all fakes because now i don't bother to give a story only to have it discredited. Here is what is happening - As i post personal finds and these armchair authenticators discredit them - It doesn't make them look smarter - Actually the exact opposite.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Sir, I have posted so many personal finds on here only for them to be called fake,wrong material,providence,etc which shows me over and over without a doubt that the people that think they know it all - DON'T! So, why even bother to list anything. They are going to chime in with all of their negative comments and let everyone know that they are the only ones on this forum with real arrowheads and artifacts. I have not tried to sell anything here nor have i ever sold an arrowhead, so i am either posting all genuine and quality artifacts or all fakes because now i don't bother to give a story only to have it discredited. Here is what is happening - As i post personal finds and these armchair authenticators discredit them - It doesn't make them look smarter - Actually the exact opposite.

Yet, you continue to post....I don't get it.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Interesting comments, all around. When I lived in Missouri, 90% of the relics I found [and I found a lot in the 70's] where made of Burlington, crescent quarry, or a heat treated variant of the two depending on culture. I am not sure what the material of these two are, but they are made of no material I ever found in Missouri. What is the source of these two?

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are very nice, very unique.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I made no reference to these points authenticity. I simply asked if the material was heat treated because from the picture, it appears that it is. As for personal finds, I don't think anyone would have any shadow of doubt if you stated that the points you are posting were personal finds. I have a couple of nice points in my collection that are personal finds and I doubt anyone would question them. I would suggest when posting pictures of high end points, if they are personal finds, simply put they are personal finds. In most cases, people with numerous high end points purchase them. I said in most cases. I have friends and have seen collections that would blow everyone's mind and they were all personal finds. So I ask again, is the Beaver Lake heat treated material?

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
The smaller blade does look like cooked Burlington. Very nice points. FIY, Indians also cooked their rock they just did it under a fire and not in a turkey roaster like I do or a kiln.

Although if there had been a Walmart around the corner I sure they would have bartered for a roaster as it isn't as much work!!

On a side note about rock and the types of rock. I found some rock at a source spot out west that is spot on for Flintridge. Took it to the knap in at Flintridge and every one I showed it to said it was Flintridge material so I think there are rock formations across the US that produce the same rock only it goes by a regional name instead of the same name. JMHO

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The smaller blade does look like cooked Burlington. Very nice points. FIY, Indians also cooked their rock they just did it under a fire and not in a turkey roaster like I do or a kiln.

The Native Americans that made Beaver Lakes did not heat treat/cook their rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions