Mohawkite? Half-Breed Copper-Silver? Slag?

PureMichigan

Greenie
Aug 29, 2017
3rd Mafic Layer
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not magnetic. Roughly 1.50" Diameter, roundish. Heavy. Found on bottom of Lake Michigan. Feel free to shame me for cleaning with metal brush and abrasives. Any help greatly appreciated.

Before cleaning:
Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 8.54.40 PM.png

After cleaning:
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kinda hard to tell. Do a streak test, rubb against unglazed porcelain. Will a knife scratch it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PureMichigan

Greenie
Aug 29, 2017
3rd Mafic Layer
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
No porcelain handy at the moment, a utility knife scratches the silver colors easily, the bronze color doesn't scratch easily.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PureMichigan

Greenie
Aug 29, 2017
3rd Mafic Layer
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
WD-40 didnt do much, nopw soaking in Lysol Brand toilet cleaner (9.5% Hydrochloric Acid). Was brightening up right away when i left it...

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, neither will aid in the ID. Unglazed porcelain can be found on the backside of your dinner plate. They are usually not glazed all around.
The toilet lid (go figure) also often has unglazed parts, if it is porcelain. Old electric fuses as well.

Use a hammer and chip of an edge, get some new pics of the fresh exposure. I'm kinda tempted to think slag, but am not 100% sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PureMichigan

Greenie
Aug 29, 2017
3rd Mafic Layer
Detector(s) used
Eyes
Primary Interest:
Soaking it in Muriatic Acid at the moment. Thank you for the tips EU. You have commented on a previous thread of mine which displayed the same piece. Question for you because I know you are very knowledgable: Is Pyrite a completely wacky diagnosis for this piece?? I am suspicious because they also called a piece of known slag "quartz".

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Soaking it in Muriatic Acid at the moment. Thank you for the tips EU. You have commented on a previous thread of mine which displayed the same piece. Question for you because I know you are very knowledgable: Is Pyrite a completely wacky diagnosis for this piece?? I am suspicious because they also called a piece of known slag "quartz".

Kinda hard to say. The surface really doesn't give of any clues to it's identity. Hence "hammering time".

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread