✅ SOLVED Hi All I'm new here first post ever! Today I found this Button Military..

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research already and have tried comparing it to other buttons online. Apparently the "Great Seal" button is pretty common.. I found this one in Arizona and the Stamp on the back is hard to read.. I may try to clean it up a little... But I forsure know its from City Button Works Company... On the back it looks like its about to say "New York" next to it.. I think it really may be one of their earliest editions say 1880... Just need help from the pros :noteworthy:

IMG_20171031_164606.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171031_101731.jpg
    IMG_20171031_101731.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little bit more information the button is average size, roughly the circumference of a penny... From the stamp on the back all I can make out is ...
"City Button Works Ne.." Might say new york, its to hard to tell.

Upvote 0

callicles

Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome. Also congrats on a very cool find!

Until the experts chime in to give specifics, I can tell you in the meantime that the button is definitely post Civil War and likely an early 20th Century military button.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, welcome to the forums. There is an excellent thread on the Great Seal buttons started by Bigcypresshunter. I added a link to it at the bottom of this reply. It's a long but very informative read. As for your button it would not date any earlier than 1910. The Great Seal replaced the eagle button in 1901 but the rim like yours has wasn't added until 1910. "City Button Works, New York" backmarks were produced from 1877-1923. I can see traces of black on your button and that would date it from 1910-1923.
Page 25 in the following link has an updated list of backmarks and dates.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/112828-great-seal-button-backmarks-help.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Thanks calicles!

I figured it was definitely post civil war.. however.. I read up a little on the company "City Button Works" apparently they started their company 1875... then moved locations to New Jersey so the older buttons often say New York and not New Jersey... As well, I live in Old West Arizona right near Tombstone, Bisbee, etc a lot of old west 1880's history. All the towns became official here roughly 1880...

So I'm sort of crossing my fingers that it was at least from the 1880's... Anyway I'm very new this and will take what ever information I can get!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you nailed it! Thank you for the detailed information.. interesting to find out here in the desert. I suppose that about some it Up!

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I notice you're in Sierra Vista, where the fort is. If you found it around there, it probably came from a soldier from the fort. The date 1910-1923 is also the same time the Mexican Revolution was going on. Thousands of US troops were posted along the border back then, and there were lots of battles, mostly in the border towns on the Mexican side of the border. Troops from Fort Huachuca fought in many of these battles and also participated in several invasions into Mexico back then, in pursuit of Mexican revolutionaries. Its a great find with a lot of history on it, if it came from down here along the border.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks Old Pueblo,

Yeah I have access to a mining claim near Bisbee and wasn't found to far from the border so that makes sense! Thanks for a little bit more of the background history! Thats ways cool to think it may have been from a soldier involved with the Mexican Revolution.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Find - Congrats!:headbang:

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks Old Pueblo,

Yeah I have access to a mining claim near Bisbee and wasn't found to far from the border so that makes sense! Thanks for a little bit more of the background history! Thats ways cool to think it may have been from a soldier involved with the Mexican Revolution.

The mine near Bisbee makes a lot of sense. There were several army outposts in the Bisbee area back then and more in the surrounding mining camps, to keep the mines safe not only from Mexican rebels, but also striking miners, especially during the World War I years when there was great demand for minerals for the war effort.

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious, did you find it with a detector, or was it a surface find? It looks dug. To clean it you want to use a wooden toothpick to clear away the dirt and so forth. But you have to be careful because if its eroded all they way through, pieces could break off or crumble.Soaking it something could ruin it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, even more amazing back story... Its a fairly new place that I have been detecting and I never really looked into the area history that extensively. Makes me curious to see what else I might find out there! Thanks again Old Pueblo this is truly awesome for me to here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Happened pretty fast since I was so excited to find it. It was with a detector, though it was relatively close to the surface in a wash. I would say about 3 inches down at the most.. Compared to a lot of trash I was digging around it that was much deeper. Now, that it has been properly identified I think Ill just leave it the way it is I suppose.. I feel like I might mess up the cleaning process... Sort of a nube at it.

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're careful, you should be able to clean off the dirt no problem, just be careful not to press too hard with the toothpick. Youll be able to feel it. If the dirt or filth breaks loose easily youre good, but dont try to force anything off or it could break pieces of the actual metal off. (Yes, I learned the hard way! Fortunately it was just a civilian coat button that someone else found and nothing special) Your button is a great find and there may have been a camp there. Whats the trash look like? Glass? Are you seeing purple glass shards?

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your button looks nice and intact, so I would try the toothpick and see for yourself. And then post some more photos of what it looks like when you're done. You might be surprised what a toothpick can do. I know I was.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hope you get some other items from same time period WW I - Here is sample pic of finds from a WW I training camp
upper middle button is black lower is not - the 3 "chicken" eagles are older late 1800s
ive gotten all kinds of relics and some nice coins from this spot - hope you do too - keep it up :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this photo before. Congrats, that stuff is great! The dog tag might be my favorite.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread