Mojave and widescan coils?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other

highball

Greenie
Sep 12, 2016
Western Washington
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Safari, Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Golden μMax, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F75, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the 3x18" Widescan and the 12" x 10" Spoked Wide Scan that came with my outlaw with no issues.

OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used the 3x18" Widescan and the 12" x 10" Spoked Wide Scan that came with my outlaw with no issues.

That's good to hear. All I am really hoping to do is use the 12 x 10 with the Mojave for a club competition hunt... you know, where you go looking for all the 3" seeded silver dimes and such.

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be careful with the Mojave with competition hunts, go with the Vaquero or the Cibola with the frequency shift, or a detector you have if you can shift frequency for cross talk chatter, unless you plan on separating yourself from others.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be careful with the Mojave with competition hunts, go with the Vaquero or the Cibola with the frequency shift, or a detector you have if you can shift frequency for cross talk chatter, unless you plan on separating yourself from others.
Having been there a few times, I can point out that usually only a couple will give crosstalk and often it is easy to give them a little extra space in order to avoid the chatter. However, if you have a detector with the option of shifting frequencies, I would recommend you use it at competition hunts.
luvsdux

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I havn't been on a competition hunt are you allowed as many detectors as you want to switch off or only one or depends on the competition? If not so busy in a competition yeah I would not be overly concerned with the cross talk then.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Competition hunts are all about speed...moving fast, acquiring targets fast, digging fast, recovering fast and moving on fast.
If you are not using a fast machine or are not real good with fast pinpointing on the big coil that can hurt you.

I used a 7" coil Compadre at several and cleaned up.
Found a ton of targets, they mixed tons of wheats, Mexican cents and still over dimes at my club hunts and I usually found enough dimes to come close to paying the entry fee for the next year's hunt and won hundreds of dollars worth of extra prizes with several special tokens I found in the mix.
I practiced a lot before these hunts, I don't kneel, just bend over at the waist since nothing is deep and I strapped a little old camera bag with a zipper on the top to my ankle and dropped all targets in that the second I recoverd them...Even a second or two putting the target in your pocket or a waist pouch while standing up can cost you targets.
What did I practice...getting that coil moving sand sweeping in front of me before I stood up fully erect and got moving again.
I bent over and put the detector in my left hand and put it down on the ground on my left side with the handle facing forward.
My digger came out quick with my right hand and popped a little plug with it.
Most times the coin popped up out of the ground too.
My digger goes back in the sheath as I grabbed the coin with my left hand and dropped it in my ankle pouch and immediately I grab the handle of the detector with my right hand and start sweeping by fire I even stand up completely.
Practicing this to get it all down into one fluid motion got me many extra targets and prizes I bet once I got good and fast at it.
Some at these hunts used big coils too and did well but they had decades of experience swinging those coils and many speed hunts under their belts.
Other noobies tried using those big coils and even though I mentioned speed they usually went too fast and missed much.
They looked like hokey players speeding down he ice on a fast break.
I followed behind them and picked up many targets in their path they somehow missed.
In these hunts after about 20 minutes most targets are gone depending on the amout of targets and people hunting.
Fast and accurate targeting and digging trumps big coil coverage by the numbers, and the big coil weight issue can come into play also.
All of these things might sound piddling but having a few extra seconds handy might mean the difference between finding extra targets, or in some cases big prize special targets...or not.

I continued to hunt for awhile looking for stragglers but since we had hour hunts I usually changed to my Vaq with the 11 X 12" big DD after 30 minutes for the clean up work and once in a while found one.

Never ever did I have a crosstalk problem with any other hunter and there were lots of people and many different types and brands at my hunts.
I was never close to anyone else for a long enough time to matter.

No question if I was using the Mojave instead of my Compadre that small standard coil would stay on it and I would never consider using a bigger coil for the main work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks digger27 for the insights. I have never done a competition hunt and therefore automatically reasoned that a widescan coil would be preferred given its detection field. I have a Mojave ordered and it's on its way, really looking forward to trying out this new detector.

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My competition hunt for years has been my stepson's battered Amigo II. Never gets chatter and the 7 inch coil means easier recovery due to smaller spot to scoop for beach hunts. On land it's tougher, I guess. I did one after a rain and pinpointing was atrocious. I ended up using a pinpointer. Still got enough tokens to win some stuff, though. I have used other machines, but Tesoros seem to be chatter free on these hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread