Mojave Crystal Mine

ellingtonk

Greenie
Mar 4, 2008
I posted this topic elsewhere, but nobody seemed to know about it.

I'm reviving a ghost of thread.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/treasurehunting/messages/1008651.shtml

"..referring to the mine with the Iron door in Southern California. Larry Williams of the Old THC was invited to visit this discovery about 10 years ago. I don't know if he went or not, but two small gold bars were found in this cache..."

I found something similar about 10 years ago. I'm wondering if they are one-in-the-same, or different.

Once I was high-plains drifting with a partner, along the CA/AZ divide. My partner had a grandmother, who was Piaute. She told of a ledge, where gold could be cut from a vein while standing on horseback. We had some vague directions we followed. We were searching for this spot. Nearby I found a spanish-style looking marker sign, posted at a big pile of boulders. It was greyed; very old and weathered. There were some small caves formed by the boulder piles there. The sign said 'El Cuarzo', or something like that.
I stashed/relocated the sign. I believe it was the original location before I moved it. I think the letters were carved/branded/burned versus painted. Some of the post was broken off.

About a mile away we found a big mine-hole opening, closed with an iron-barred-gate. Inside, a cave covered in quartz crystals. It was a crystal cavern. A vug large enough to walk in. The iron bars were heavy like old prison bars.

I searched and haven't heard anyone mention this place. Any old desert-heads listening out there, please let me know.
Maybe "Larry Williams" already cleaned this out? Maybe the original poster (Richard Walburn) might know. But that post mentions no crystals.
If anyone has some clues, I'd love some feedback.

OP
OP
E

ellingtonk

Greenie
Mar 4, 2008
Re: Mojave Crystal Mine ~ the Arch Mine.

A clarification.
I talked to my Dad concerning a similar mine he found, but the old iron bar gated mine he found was different. He said it was not a crystal vug, like the one I found at all. It is in the same mountain range, but miles away.
The mine he found had an older Spanish-style stone archway that the 'prison bar like' doors were laid into. He said someone did a fancy lot of work making the archway entrance to that mine. This mine was up higher in the ledge region, and not too far from a more recent set of mines & mining operation farther down the hill. Dry panning was good in the gulch below the arch-mine, toward the top of the wash, for flat chips 1/2 the size of fingernail, but he didn't detect any nuggets anywhere in this area. Maybe it had been hit already, but he said it didn't look like it.

If anyone know of either of these mines, maybe they'd like to share clues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread