May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I was detecting coastal NC today and came across an iron patch in an area that had lots of colonial activity. I was running out of daylight but quickly scanned the area and got a nice clean 74 on my T2 which is usually a flat button. I dug out a shovel of sandy soil and saw what looked to be a basic flat button and dropped in in my pouch. I packed it in and headed home where I brushed off the crusted layer of sand from the front of the button and noticed the lettering. I was pretty surprised since it looked like the hundreds of basic flat buttons that I have dug.

Based on my quick google search it appears to be a late 18th early 19th century military button and was actually used by some as a substitute for a 1/2 penny. This one has the shank intake so I doubt this was passed as currency. I am a little surprised to find this so far south. Any more information or ideas on this are welcomed.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 6

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !

That don't mean much as I don't know a thing about this, but gut is something, and what your initial google finds are.

I do know this, I don't think I've seen one before, I know it is in good shape, assuming the time frame is good (which I automatically do) this is fantastic find.

Glad I was first to post, and I don't do this often....I'm breaking out the BANNER.

BTW still don't know anything about this button, or value, but it is speaking volumes to me.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, this is the 2nd I've seen this year, and was many years before that when Ironhorse dug his. You do know the basics, and all that's left is to read the history on the unit, because as you said it still has the shank so did not pass as a coin. It's sort of a win -win with that button shank or not.... and what's strange is coin people would rather if be flat and no shank.... weird thought but no doubt true. Definitely a keeper. I'd be just as happy shank or not.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW !

That don't mean much as I don't know a thing about this, but gut is something, and what your initial google finds are.

I do know this, I don't think I've seen one before, I know it is in good shape, assuming the time frame is good (which I automatically do) this is fantastic find.

Glad I was first to post, and I don't do this often....I'm breaking out the BANNER.

BTW still don't know anything about this button, or value, but it is speaking volumes to me.

Thanks Rick, I hope it turns out in fact to be a good find. Like you said, I've never seen one and only found 4 pictures when i googled it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm not too surprised that iron horse has dug one of these too, it is amazing how many military buttons you guys get. I think I'm at a handfull after 8 years.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I remember posted - its a very nice looking button - big congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a really nice looking button. Congrats on what looks to be a fairly scarce find. Curious to know more about it

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
They are known to military collectors and coin collectors because its one of the few items that fall into both areas of collecting.
Having one myself, I would have to say you have a very good find! continued success

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I've never seen one. That's awesome that it was found in NC too. Congrats!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My several year old book lists it in VG at $200, and from a military collecting perspective that's probably fair as well... and with some condition issues it's probably better you have the shank because a military button collector would be more forgiving than a coin collector. Even though your find has no history as a coin it's still part of the history and story you can tell what many of the buttons went on to be. Ever since IH dug his it has been on my want list, but I know the odds are heavily stacked against me.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
My several year old book lists it in VG at $200, and from a military collecting perspective that's probably fair as well... and with some condition issues it's probably better you have the shank because a military button collector would be more forgiving than a coin collector. Even though your find has no history as a coin it's still part of the history and story you can tell what many of the buttons went on to be. Ever since IH dug his it has been on my want list, but I know the odds are heavily stacked against me.

Thanks for the info. It's great to know that it has some value but I really couldn't see myself selling it (unless someone really wanted it). It is highly unlikely that I would ever dig another one and it makes a great addition to my special button collection.

I'm surprised given your location that you wouldn't be more likely to dig one yourself.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. It's great to know that it has some value but I really couldn't see myself selling it (unless someone really wanted it). It is highly unlikely that I would ever dig another one and it makes a great addition to my special button collection.

I'm surprised given your location that you wouldn't be more likely to dig one yourself.

I'm 12 hours from Montreal so they weren't really dropping by here every weekend for drinks back in 1820 or whenever it was. :) But obviously there would be a better chance of a 2nd here, and I am hoping. I personally wouldn't sell it for 1k just because like you I like my buttons.

OP
OP
screwynewy

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm 12 hours from Montreal so they weren't really dropping by here every weekend for drinks back in 1820 or whenever it was. :) But obviously there would be a better chance of a 2nd here, and I am hoping. I personally wouldn't sell it for 1k just because like you I like my buttons.

Sorry, I thought Dirtyville was just outside Montreal. I'll have to check my Atlas again :tongue3: :laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool button and apparently they don't even turn up in Canada very often let alone NC!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First one I remember seeing...Now I want one..Not being from Dirtyville or Montreal, I may not see one either but here's to hoping..Congrats on a great display button!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread