Moon Hotel For Sale January 30, 1910

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Moon Hotel for Sale
Found this in The Oklahoman, January 30, 1910 (ad ran each day for a week):

Retiring from Business: I have a complete stock of general merchandise, consisting of dry goods, groceries, hardware, and furniture, that I will sell to the highest bidder on the 16th day of February, 1910. The stock will invoice (including fixtures) in the neighborhood of $20,000. The stock and inventory can be seen after the 10th of February. I will also sell the brick business houses, 25x50 feet each, both double-decked in the rear, nice offices, and 15 foot ceilings. One $25,000 brick hotel with 50 rooms and opera house and barber shop combined. Heated with steam throughout. One $5,000 residence and furniture. Will sell each separately. My health and other business is the cause of my retiring, as this is the best location in Oklahoma to make money. I made over $50,000 in four years and there is a better opening now than I had. DON'T FAIL to be here, as this is a chance of a lifetime. W.J. Moon, Caddo, Okla.

(photo courtesy of Indian Territory Museum)

Gossip.....LOL
W. J. and Pearl Bedtelyon, of Michigan, were Married January 30, 1906 in Caddo, Bryan County and lived together until June 23, 1906.
Moon’s worth was “$140,000- including one fine brick hotel, four brick stores in said town, and a large amount of merchandise and cash and notes and accounts secured by mortgage.”
Pearl sued him for divorce in April of 1911- The plaintiff, L. Pearl Moon, alleges that her husband, W. J. Moon, was abusive. She accused him of “striking her and beating her and kicking her and using vile and opprobrious epithets towards and about her”. She further alleges “gross neglect of duty”; he had abundant means and was able to provide her with a home but refused to provide for her. Here is her version of the train story mentioned earlier: he “drove her from his home and refused to permit and allow her to take her necessary clothing to enable her to appear in a decent and respectable way on the railway train to which he forced her to go on her way to the home of her parents in the State of Michigan, and so insufficiently was she supplied with ordinary and necessary wearing apparel in which to travel in a public conveyance that she was forced to stop at the town of Muskogee on her way to the home of her parents and from lady friends borrow the necessary clothing in which decently to travel on the railway.”
Pearl asked for a share of property and $100 per month alimony and $500 legal fees.
Mr. Moon had previously been charged with adultery with Loula (sp. Lula) May Manning on January 20, 1910; of which he was convicted on February 1911, and fined $250 (court record page 168 book 3)
Mr. Moon’s position on the divorce was that they were never legally married because he discovered that Pearl was already married to George Robison of Libby, Montana, and her divorce from Mr. Robinson wasn’t legal because a residency requirement hadn’t been met. (You’ll have to trust me on this part because most of the Robison case is attached to the Moon case, is hand-written, and is 22 pages long. I read what I needed to read.)
The court found in favor of Pearl, and Judge Ferguson granted her divorce and $1,000 alimony and court costs.
In Mrs. Manning’s divorce hearing (Feb. 1910) her husband states that his wife “talked to W. J. Moon nearly every day over the phone”; corresponded “clandestinely with him” , “met with him at McAlester” on her way to Shawnee, and “slept with him at the hotel in Caddo”.

Attachments

• moonhotel_2.jpg
    moonhotel_2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 325
  • map_2.jpg
    map_2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 371

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread