Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: moonshiner's cache

. The West Coast may have more mines (California, Nevada) but the East Coast has the history. I have the misfortune of living in an area that has a history of poor people so pickins' may be slim around here lol! Good luck to you as well.
[/quote] Well partly true, but are you forgetting the Fur Trade, early Spanish settlements in the extreme S.W., ...and how about the Spanish Trail through Ariz. N.M. and especially, Utah and Colorado. I qualify Spanish Reales, Silver coin, conquistador armor, swords and helmets as finds. Queen Isabella extracted half of Spain's revenue from the mines and pack trains that ran down the Spanish Trail to the Gulf of Mexico..... and....Yes, we do know where major stretches the Spanish Trail is located

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: moonshiner's cache

Had to jump in with my 2 cents (face).

Keep hold of the relics you find, sometimes the memories they bring is worth as much or more than you can imagine. Also, if a big cache IS found, you have collectibles from the site that XXX cache was found, adding value to them for sale or for a donation to the Historical Society etc.

My favorite thing to use old bottles for is to fill them up with coins, any coins. Find a cork for small necks & hot glue it in the bottle or glue the larger bottle lids on. Give em to the young'uns for Christmas or Birthday. Pay particular attention to the young'ums, if they are more interested in the bottle of coins than the shiny new truck etc, you just found your future THunting partner.

If the relatives are hinkey about you searching alone, see if you can walk the site without your detector & equipment. A lot of us get so wound up in the hunt, we don't use the two best tools we have in our arsenal, our brain & eyes. Take time to sit down maybe eat a sandwich & think like the person hiding the cache. Where are the places you'd hide something if you needed to stash it or get it fast. You may be surprised the places you rushed over in the excitement. Another thought for you. Think about where the shine would be loaded or picked up. It'd make sense that you'd not want people traipsing right up to your still, so you'd sell or load your shine in another location. Even a couple dropped coins are worth the time especially at todays prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread