Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: If you care to believe...

Charles, I got some good advice from Eric Foster on the coil. But I used Gary's analog plans for the control box (his website is listed below). I didn't want to program PICs, so I went with his simple analog design.

Giterdone, I've had a lot of request for this unit, so I'm posting the long details here...

All the info and diagragms you need for the control box are at:

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Metal-2/Metal-2.htm

The large 1 meter coil is as follows:

Claude on Geotech Forum built a 1m coil with the GoldPic ? He said: (I used a multi-wire 12 wire multistrand 0.25 and I inserted then soldered between them the wires, leaving two for connection.) He says: I used a multi-wire because I wanted to keep intact the plastic tubes, so a regular coil made outside the tubes would not allow this. I bought a 12-wire non-screened cable, .22 multi-stranded of lenght 5 meters. I bought aluminium tape and put on all lenght of cable. I inserted cable in prepared tubes and 90?shoulders, then I soldered ends of 11 out of 12 wires (11 turn coil), to form a spiral, each wire with the next (see colors). I insulated, made an opening in the tube and soldered a regular LAN coax cable (75 ohm). That's all. Pay attention not to touch the aluminium insulation to form a circle, leave a portion unprotected. You can solder the coax shield also to one end of aluminium tape (difficult to solder). Attention not to leave too much wire, because
it will be difficult to close tubes, the multi-wire with alu tape on it
is not so flexible. Keep it as short as it allows you to solder.

Another 1 meter coil that's flexible:

Eric Foster wrote on the PI classroom forum: I made flexible (not inside a pvc square, but just loose to tie to any frame) coils for the Superscan PI detector that I used to make. The coils were made from 12 way cable with each conductor made up of 16/0.2 strands. The wires in the cable are all colour coded which makes connecting into a coil easy. Say I wanted to make a 1m square coil; I would then cut a 4m length of cable. The outer sheath would be stripped back a few cm. at each end to expose the individual conductors and their coloured sleeves. Take the red lead at one end as the start of the coil. Go to the other end and bend the cable around to give a circular coil initially. Strip the insulation off this second end of the red lead and join it to another colour wire at the start end, say yellow. Go to the far end of the yellow lead and join it to another colour at the start end, say orange. Continue this procedure, always joining to a new colour to avoid getting a shorted turn. Measure the inductance as you go and stop when the required figure is reached. Any unused conductors will have no effect. Each join should be sleeved with heat shrink to avoid shorts. I used to do all of this joining so that it was inside a plastic potting box (remember, it?s a flexible coil, but the joint is in the plastic box) and then take the coax cable out through a cable gland. The whole joint would be potted in epoxy to give a neat finish. The finished coil can be either a 1m square, 0.5 x 1.5m rectangular, or whatever you wanted.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Darren, thanks will check it out tomorrow. Have a good PM

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I posted a few months ago my plans for Christmas to look for an old cache my grandfather told me about. First the story, then the results...

Mr. Ocy was like a grandfather to me as a kid. I had no other grandfather living, so he and I hit it off. We looked for arrowheads, talked for hours, and went riding all over southern Louisiana. Then he contracted Lou Gehrig's disease. I watched him go down to nothing over the next year or so. His body was gone, but his mind was sharp. Before he died, something we talked about triggered his memory. He told me about a nanny he had who didn't trust banks. He went out to check on her often as she got older. He told her she better be careful or someone would ride out to her house, knock her in the head, and take her money. She told him not to worry - even if they killed her, they would never find it. She had her money hidden in the hogpen. Later she died and Mr. Ocy went by her house to check on things. Her house had been torn apart - mattresses cut open, floorboards removed. After telling me all this, he said, "Darren, I always meant to go back and check the hogpen, but I never did." I told him I would one day. I knew the field where her house used to be. As best as he could tell, there was around 10-15k buried. I forgot about it until I got into MDing. But I rarely went back home and when I did, I never went to the old hogpen.

I went last week. I wish I could say I hit the jackpot, but it didn't happen. I had a great time, though. The problem was that the field I once knew is now a small forest with thick undergrowth. I hacked through as much as I could. I found the old homeplace foundation, an old key, lots of junk and an old cobalt blue cork bottle. Vines and briars kept ripping my headphones off and tangling in the coil. No detectorist in his right mind would've tried, but I had traveled so far...I had to try.

I spoke with Mrs. Daisy last week. She's Mr. Ocy's widow. She's 88 years old and told me to talk to another elderly man who both remembered the old place and the miser lady who lived there. He verified I was looking in the right place. I'll just have to wait until they do a brush burn one day. It'll keep me going back to try again.

I should be back at the moonshiner's place this weekend (see above posts). I'll update you as things move along.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: moonshiner's cache

No prob, diggumup - there will be more. Btw,? I changed the name of this thread to make more sense. Here's the bottle I found in La. - anyone know what kind it is?

Attachments

• bottle.JPG
    bottle.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 3,506
C

Charles,Oak Island

looks like some of the 1900 medical bottles I have found at the Cape Fear quarantine station

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Hey Ken - I posted a better pic above to get an idea of the dimensions. No lettering. Charles, I had been told it might be a medical bottle. Reckon this is the pre-milk of magnesia bottles?

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Beautiful bottle Darren!!, I got this little one, I was told may also be a medical bottle. I don't know anything about bottles but mine's got what looks like a seam around it so I'm not sure if it's old or a reproduction. It says B.P.Co. on it and has a mirror image of a P in a circle with a dot under it

Attachments

• Jan07_02.JPG
    Jan07_02.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,654
  • Jan07_03.JPG
    Jan07_03.JPG
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,652

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

:) Darren.Your a man who loves the excitment of the hunt with little or no monetary gain.Good for you.Well not that its not nice, But the excitment is what its all abought.You have a good friend,Iwould have got my own detector,We all know how the kinfolk come out of the wood work after the work is done.Looks like a good story for the cold weather ahead.Best of luck and HH.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Darren it looks a lot like my old milk of magensia that I picked up out of the river. Looks like you found some good bottles.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kenb said:
Beautiful bottle Darren!!, I got this little one, I was told may also be a medical bottle. I don't know anything about bottles but mine's got what looks like a seam around it so I'm not sure if it's old or a reproduction. It says B.P.Co. on it and has a mirror image of a P in a circle with a dot under it

From what i gather, is that bottles with seams are made by machines instead of being blown glass. I guess the process was introduced in the early 1900's to speed up production due to high bottle demand. I doubt yours is a reproduction and IS indeed old and authentic. Nice find 8)

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks for the website, Charles. Looks like "seamed to the shoulder" bottles can be from being blown in a mold, with a neck and lip added. Fully seamed bottles (machined) apparently date early 1900s and up. Mine is a blown in mold bottle. Not worth much, but interesting nonetheless.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darren,
Ask these guys, I'm sure they would know right off. This website is posted under the bottle section and is very entertaining to look at too.

obsolete link now

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

They might be snuff bottles. Try looking up info on them. I bet thats what they are.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks for the site, Coinshooter. The bottles on there are incredible. Sigh...so many treasures to hunt - caches, coins, jewelry, nuggets, and...bottles. Gotta focus. Focusing is the only way to become good in t'hunting. I think I'm sticking with caches for now :)

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

Darren, My uncle was a moonshiner. He always hid his rainy day fund around his still site and would put a single rock over burial. He always said no-one could find his still in plain veiw then they sure couldn't find his money there with it being buried. He evidently wasn't the only one that thought this as I found an old still site and in the woods around it I noticed a few White Quartz rocks sitting here and there. Them blue mason jars full of silver sure make a detector scream!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

You got me drooling, gldhntr. I hope we'll be as lucky. Are you still at your same email? I've sent you several emails and still waiting... :)

My update on the moonshiner is limited at this point. My friend and I have almost opposite schedules. I haven't gone back to his land because he or I can never seem to meet at the same time. I am not allowed on the land without him. He's okay with it, but his family doesn't know me that well and aren't too keen about me poking around by myself (can't say I blame them). But he has since had a conversation with his great aunt and she told him several places we should go look next time. I'm patiently awaiting a "next time."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread