moonshiners cache

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Re: moonshiner's cache

the e-mail you had is only used when i'm out of town working.will send you another. if you need any help here just holler, don't mind helping people myself. digging a target, spotting it, pulling it into the sunshine it hasn't seen in quite a while, is a lot better to me then going to some d@%$#ed mall or store and trying to spend it .. .

J

jwarren270

Darren,
My name is James Warren and I live in Johston County. I know about moonshiners because my dad had a still back then. His father ran with Percy Flowers back along time ago. I live in Wilson's Mills now but grew up in Micro. So I do have a good idea on how they where back then because of what my father told me. I have forgot alotbut I do live close enough to help if you need it.
Good Luck on the hunt.
James Warren

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Thanks, James. I'll be in touch with you.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darren, keep us posted, this is some good stuff. I wish there were moonshiners here in PA!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

there WERE, all you have to do is locate where there stills were. there are Many stories out there. most would have been along creeks (they needed water) & in Secluded places. look for alot of broken mason jars.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I really wish I could tell you we found something. But the truth is I haven't been hunting since the the day we took the pictures above. My friend has been so busy with work and projects on the weekends that he hasn't had the time to go :( He did tell me he spoke with his aunt about what we were doing and she told him a few spots he hadn't thought about. He got me so excited! I asked him when we could go. He said when he got some time...sigh... Non-treasure hunters don't have the same urgency we do ;)

Of course, what if we DO hit the big one? Would I post it here? Would you? 8)

C

charlie

Darren, I guess it's been long enough for me to come clean. Back in 1984 me and my father researched the same type of site and were positive of several caches being located near a house. We recieved permission and agreed with the owner that if anything was found, it would be split 50/50.(We got it writing) We searched all areas that were in view of the bedrooms of the house, NO DICE! We searched around shrub's that were planted along the same timeframe....nothing. Then it struck my father , we had heard that during ww2 these folks sold chicken's to soldier's that were training here from fort bragg. (I am in Montgomery Co.) So, we began searching were we thought the chicken coup had been. We dug up at least fifty zinc lid's. TWO OF THEM WERE ATTACHED !! You would be amazed at how many silver half dollars will fit in an atlas strong shoulder jar ;) We honored the spit and continue to have permission to hunt this site. Have any more caches been found....HMMMM....note here but maybe I'll have another story when the time is right.

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

You know, Charlie...you got me wondering. I know of another site (yes, another one) that I have dug up tons of these zinc lids. I always wondered why they were "scattered" all over the place. Maybe they were decoys for the real cache. Do you think that was the case with your find?

Thanks, Charlie. I never thought of that. Great story, too!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A few years ago Warehauzer clear cut a section of land right next to the main road going into a popular boatig, camping and fishing area. After the clear cutting was done you could see a moonshine shack with a foot path leading up to it right out in the middle of the clear cut. It probably had been there for years and noone was the wiser, within a stones throw of the main road!

C

charlie

Darren, I can't say if the lid's were buried intentionally, but it's a good possibility as these folks always had a nice, landscaped yard with lot's of flower's and shrubs. I just dont see why they would run around slinging zinc lid's everywere. There was some other trash but it was small and I did find an axe head ( I ALWAYS DO). I do know that these two cache's were made in the late forty's and fifties (some of the halves were mint franklin's) so they had to know of military mine detectors and such. I plan on hitting it again soon but right now my focus is on a revolutionary war skirmish site. My father and I are going down to Richmond co. tommorrow and check thing's out. We have permission for 3,000 acres on the pee dee with alot of homestead sites that should keep me busy for awhile. Good Luck on your site and don't give up until your positive there is nothing there, but then again you will alway's wonder.........

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

An update is way overdue - but it has an exciting ending. My friend and I haven't detected his family's land in about a year. He has a strained relationship with his father and grandmother (who live on the property).

But his dad called him on his birthday and told him he was fixing up the basement downstairs. While he was down there, he noticed some loose stones in the back of the fireplace. He pulled them out and found $3000 cash hidden in there. Good grief! I can't wait til they go on vacation so we can go attack the place with our detectors ;D

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Darren in NC said:
found $3000 cash hidden in there. Good grief! I can't wait til they go on vacation so we can go attack the place with our detectors? ;D

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be ****JUMPING OUTA YOUR SKIN****

when are they going on vaca?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darren in NC said:
An update is way overdue - but it has an exciting ending. My friend and I haven't detected his family's land in about a year. He has a strained relationship with his father and grandmother (who live on the property).

But his dad called him on his birthday and told him he was fixing up the basement downstairs. While he was down there, he noticed some loose stones in the back of the fireplace. He pulled them out and found $3000 cash hidden in there. Good grief! I can't wait til they go on vacation so we can go attack the place with our detectors? ;D
Exciting,what kind of dates are on those bills?

OP
OP
Darren in NC

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Diggummup - I'm not sure what dates are on them. I'm not even sure if they were gold or silver certificates. I didn't see them. I'm simply reporting what I heard. I'm not sure the son even knows what they look like. No disrespect intended, but his dad is sort of "out there." I wonder if his story is true. Is this his way of poking fun at his son for hunting his grandfather's money? Who knows? But it does fit the profile of the grandfather hiding caches. I'll report any finds...or maybe not... 8)

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Connecticut Danny is the master thread bumper. If you start reading a thread about a super awesome cache, and the date at the top is many years ago, you can bet there will be a Connecticut Danny post at the bottom from 2011.

I enjoy reading these threads but it always seems no one is finding anything. You are making me discouraged before my metal detector even arrives Danny! ;D

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most topix start with a person seeking treasure and years go by and the author does not report the treasure being found or that they gave up. i live in Connecticut. Any leads? I enjoy reading the stories and comments and believe the new people enjoy reading them. Good hunting. [email protected]

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Connecticut Danny said:
Most topix start with a person seeking treasure and years go by and the author does not report the treasure being found or that they gave up. i live in Connecticut. Any leads? I enjoy reading the stories and comments and believe the new people enjoy reading them. Good hunting. [email protected]

Yes, I enjoy reading the old threads you bump as well. It just seems no one ever found anything... :(

I wish I had some Connecticut leads for you Danny, but I have no idea what the east coast even looks like up past North Carolina. You should be able to find some stuff in your area though. The West Coast may have more mines (California, Nevada) but the East Coast has the history. I have the misfortune of living in an area that has a history of poor people so pickins' may be slim around here lol! Good luck to you as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread