More Battlefield ID Help Please - Shenkel Shell?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had posted earlier about my finds on a Shenandoah Valley Civil War site (on private property). I also dug these two pieces. When I was on the site, I assumed they were probably off of some farm/wagon type equipment and maybe they are. But the more I examined the first piece, the more I'm convinced it's the bottom part of a Shenkel Shell. What do y'all think? The other piece looks like it could be off part of an axle. The center is brass. Any ideas on that? Thanks!

shell1.JPG shell2.JPG shell3.JPG mystery1.JPG mystery2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely the blown-off tail of a Schenkl shell. As a civil war shell-digger for nearly 40 years, I can testify that we rarely find that much of the Schenkl tail-section intact. Congrats. :)

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely the blown-off tail of a Schenkl shell. As a civil war shell-digger for nearly 40 years, I can testify that we rarely find that much of the Schenkl tail-section intact. Congrats. :)

Thank you Cannonball - I was hopin' you'd chime in. I appreciate it very much. Any ideas on the other piece?

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG Richard. That's a nice relic to add to your VA collection. Apple cider method? HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy - yes, it's been soakin' in the ACV since about 1 PM!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because you asked... no, I cannot specifically identify the other object. However, its characteristics make me guess it is from a farm wagon axle or other kind of iron shaft on farming equipment. If that guess is correct, the non-threaded brass sleeve in it is a non-corroding "bushing" intended to keep the thick iron ring from rusting solidly in place, or causing "rotational wear" on an iron axle (or other type of iron shaft).

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because you asked... no, I cannot specifically identify the other object. However, its characteristics make me guess it is from a farm wagon axle or other kind of iron shaft on farming equipment. If that guess is correct, the non-threaded brass sleeve in it is a non-corroding "bushing" intended to keep the thick iron ring from rusting solidly in place, or causing "rotational wear" on an iron axle (or other type of iron shaft).

Thanks - that's what I was thinking as well. After 40 years, you've probably dug your share of those too. :laughing7:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
With a locking nib on it's edge, and a brass bushing, it looks more like a king pin bushing arrangement to me, maybe off of an old truck. I don't think it is designed to have an axle/shaft continually spin in the bushing, but rather to rotate left to right such as in a steering mechanism.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With a locking nib on it's edge, and a brass bushing, it looks more like a king pin bushing arrangement to me, maybe off of an old truck. I don't think it is designed to have an axle/shaft continually spin in the bushing, but rather to rotate left to right such as in a steering mechanism.

Thanks Rob. Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions