More from down south

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Today was killer. I managed to find 5 points that were all there, and a few flake tools. Why is it that the heartbreaker would have always been the find of the day? The heartbreaker was a Hamilton type I believe and would have been a SMOKER. I found a nice newnan that was reworked into a scraper, I’m counting that as a whole piece ;), also found an itty bitty baby paper thin newnan, a good friend of mine has helped me type the other two (I thought we’re newnans also) as cypress creek, and the last I believe is a Kirk as this site has produced a few. My friend pointed out that it has an Adena look to it and after checking, I must say the resemblance is uncanny. They occur rarely in Florida so what do you guys think? I’m very impressed with my friends ability to tell extremely minute differences between points from my region. The newnan, culbreath, hillsborough, Putnam etc all look about the same to me ha-ha. B70BF0CB-E824-4B91-AB97-D39FF6CEACA0.jpeg F97F4A12-03DA-4EB3-9AA9-A9D7C1FD2509.jpeg E0002232-1C36-43EE-B0AB-ECA5F64BC47A.jpeg CB3008D4-9D86-46EC-AB42-2A8DE6601B3D.jpeg BDB87A8C-D366-431A-97BD-E67D481F63E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot the pink, red, & marbled colors in Florida are coral. Some of it has fossilized polophs visible when held up to light. Some of the nicest material for sure. Keep the finds coming Ben, that smoker is always one scoop of dirt away!

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Thanks Mr. newman man, living in far north Ga., at foot of Appalachian Mts. most migration routes were from west and north directions, so I'm not lucky enough to see newman points or coral artifacts. Would someone show us one that is of good color.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hamilton, Sumter, Thonotosassa and Kirk all overlap. All Early Archaic. That one looks like a Sumter with those rounded corners. But Putnam is Middle-Late Archaic and you are finding points in that range, too (Newnan). That's a killer multi-component site! A lot of Hamiltons (geez the name of a triangle point up north!!) have fine serrations along the upper 1/3.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I looked at it a lot Tom & just don't see a Sumpter. Too much stem for me but hey who knows. You know Florida stuff better than 99% of everyone else. Ben's finding all kinds of Archaic stuff on this site. I'm excited for him!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread