More Michigan research Items.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
I was reading an article about Treasures in Michigan in an old "Lost Treasures" magazine. Among the things mentioned
this is one you might be interested in, for those interested in Michigan's ghost towns, there are three books writen
by Roy Dodge. "MICHIGAN'S GHOST TOWNS, vol. I, II, and III. The article says, " These are the most comprehensive
sources of material ever written on the forgotten communities of Michigan."
One other item for those interested in Michigan treasures, see the short-lived series titled "THE TREASURE DIGEST."
These publications had 36 pages each and were printed from Jan. 1974 through Jan 1975. They were compiled from
information on all types of treasure hunting in Michigan. It goes on to say that they are an extremely good source
of research.

For you guys planing a hunt in Oakland co. this summer, here is something you might be interested in, about a ghost
town. "Around four miles from New Hudson, was the small town called Kensington, once a thriving village, consisting of a bank, several taverns,a town square, and stores. Due to thievery, shady operations, and a bank failure, the town began to decline and the people moved away. Wuth it's position on Lake Kent and the Grand River Trail, it was also an Indian camping ground.
One more in Oakland co... About a mile from New Hudson, on Rt.16 and South Hill Rd, there was a place called
"Bogus Corners" So-called because in the 1830's it was the headquarters for a gang of counterfeiters. A little
research might pay off on this one. The word "counterfeiters" don't sound good, but there might be some good cash
to be foune there.

Ray karenray08

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
Another book to go along with the ghost town books is "Michigan place names". There are lot of ghost towns it that book also.

Wolverine.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I have Dodge's Books, and a number of others. There is the great Michigan History book by Bald that PlanetMars found, and I have another now that I am just starting on By Dunbar. The book by Dunbar looks very good too.

I have collected a variety of books in the last few years. Most are centered on Northern Michigan and the U.P.

Thank you Karen & Ray! Wolverine too!

Happy New Year!
Mark

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Thompy,
Ever read the book by Crowe(sp?) about the logging history around Manistique?
I got it for Xmas, very good too.

Mark

S

seger98

Was wondering in the book, does it list "Interior" or "Robbins Pond" ?

S

seger98

mpostma said:
Hey Seger,
Which Book?
I can check them and get back to you.
Mark

Just any of the books that have been mentioned here, they are both in the U.P.

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the bald book is a very good tool, it will tell you the general history of our state and it actually showed me that there is more that what we know. michigan is just one of those states that the history is like the lakes its deep and a lot of areas..and if you think about it its one of those quiet states we been around a long time and becuse of canada i bet there is more, think about it.. what other state has all this fresh water and a lot of travelers..we just didnt have all the big wars,, i would tell anyone here that if your researching get the bald book, i read it all the time now and there are things that will draw my attention a lot more than others keep up the hunting and if there is anyone questions that i can help dont hesitate to ask,

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
The Dunbar book is very good too.

I was in the library yesterday and I found a two volume set of books on the UP that are incredible.

In your local areas if you can find local small town histories they can give you where the first schools, first churches, and often church and picnic groves. I found a couple of them yesterday, including a photo of a house I have gotten permission to hunt, it turns out to be the original house that was home of a senator, and the center of society in this small town.

Good Luck,
mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread