MORE Pre WWI Stuff

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
If any of you have been following the thread in the Watzit? forum then you will appreciate these. Still hunting the Panch Villa haunts and still finding good stuff... well at least it is to me!

In todays finds we have an undischarged 38-40 round that was used by the army from 1887 until the lever action rifles were phased out by the 30-40 Krag bolt action rifle. The 38-40 is also know as the 38 WCF (Winchester Center Fire) and was one of the first cartridges that was used in both the rifles and revolvers by the calvary. It is a bottleneck cartridge, meaning that there is a step down in the size of the casing about half-way to the bullet. This is a technology that has just recently been re-employed in many pistol cartridges such as the .357 SIG, and the .400 Corbon.

I also found an early M1 Garand casing with a headstamp that ID's it as having been made at the Frankfort Arsenal in September of 1912. It is almost totally coverd with a very pale green, almost white, layer of patina. Travia question You guys have the info, now can you tell me what the headstamp looks like on the casing?

Also found a canteen cover snap and a discharged bullet which looks to be about a .45 caliber with a nice patina.

Attachments

• 38-40.JPG
    38-40.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 152
  • M1.JPG
    M1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Canteen Button.JPG
    Canteen Button.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Canteen Button side.JPG
    Canteen Button side.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0
Thanks Jake! :D

Don, you got it right the very first time, way to go! I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say collar disc though, can you expand on that a little? ???

Ha ha ha... I know that feeling.... I pulled one out of the ground in South Carolina. I was standing there trying to get some of the crud off whatever it was that I found. Then a chunk came off the side and I instantly froze. I was looking at the side of an old pineapple grenade. On a side note, I had a friend that was an EOD tech and he rendered it safe for me. I still have that one. I would post a pic but it is at my house in Georgia and I am in Arizona.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back