More Recent Finds

futzman

May 29, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Here's some more of my recent finds.

First is a large rugose coral I'm still prepping:

ol.site3.rugose1.jpg

Next is one I haven't identified yet.? It appears to be a tabulate coral.? I've been prepping it with the microblaster to bring it out in 3 dimensions:

ol.site3.tabulatecoral.jpg

Here are more rugose corals that were encrusted with limonitic matrix but they cleaned up nicely with the microblaster:

ol.site6.rugosecorals.jpg

Next is some of the plant material I that came from mudstone underneath a foot thick coal seam.? Not sure what this is unless it's roots from the plants that grew in the swamp before the coal seam was formed.? Any ideas?

ol.site8.plantmaterial.jpg

Here's the coal seam:

ol.site8.coalseam.jpg

What's really interesting about this strata is the coal seam is buried in meters of benthic fossilferous limestone and shale, indicating that the swamp that formed the coal was subsequently buried by an ocean.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Thanks for the photos Richard. When I used to live in Ohio I did a lot of fossil collecting in southeast Ohio adjacent to coal beds. Transgression and regression of shallow seas produced interesting stratigraphy.
The plant material in the claystone beneath the coal looks interesting as it is well preserved.

Keep the photos coming
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread