🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After the morning I had this past weekend (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/473073-colonial-civil-war-swinging-sifting.html) using my new sifter, I couldn't wait to get back out there. After work yesterday, I spent 5 more hours in the field and expanded on my pit from the weekend.

The highlights for me were the glass bottle stopper, the bone handled pocket knife, the LC, 5/64ths pipe stem, and pretty much every button that made an appearance had me smiling. I also really like the two forks. One of the most fun parts of this sifting thing for me is Supergluing the pottery back together. Its a fun puzzle! I have most of a teacup, and I know the area that I need to sift to find most of the rest of it.

IMG_20150819_094609521_HDR.jpg IMG_20150819_094631081_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150819_094622288_HDR.jpg IMG_20150819_094644972_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150819_094638170_HDR.jpg IMG_20150819_094654682_HDR.jpg

I'm new at this sifting thing, but I'm not new at targets being masked! After making a pile of dirt I swung my coil over it and got a beautiful high 80's tone. At this site, that makes my heart skip a beat because I am about to see a copper or a silver. I stood there with a huge grin on my face when I pulled this from the dirt pile. Not a squeak or squawk or chirp from this LC when it was in the ground... it was only about 6 inches deep but there is SO MUCH iron in this trash area that it was totally masked. This is now the second "Surprise LC" from this site due to masking. Its the 5th LC from this site total.

Is this enough to tell a variety? I know its the Large Date, but all the varieties look the same to me.
IMG_20150818_221121965_HDR.jpg IMG_20150818_221036413_HDR.jpg

Some dirty pictures from the field!
IMG_20150818_154449608.jpg IMG_20150818_172809598.jpg IMG_20150818_183801054.jpg

***Any advice on stabilizing the bone handled pocket knife. My options are electrolysis, evapo-rust or ACV. I lean more towards electrolysis or evapo-rust as the acv might hurt\discolor the bone. Anyone have experience stabilizing something that is bone and iron? The rust is flaking and buldging against the bone... its only a matter of time before it pops the bone sides off and its ruined.

Last edited:
Upvote 18

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ADV WHAT CAN I SAY THAT I HAVENT SAID ALREADY. AWESOME POTTERY FROM THE 1700S THE FEATHERED BLUE IS COOL AS HECK. . DANG YOU GOT A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING. . LOST FOR WORDS.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work with the sifter. I have a similar spot that I intend to sift after they move the cows out later this fall.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice relics. Cool glass bottle stopper, and that LC isn't shabby either. Congratulations

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ADV WHAT CAN I SAY THAT I HAVENT SAID ALREADY. AWESOME POTTERY FROM THE 1700S THE FEATHERED BLUE IS COOL AS HECK. . DANG YOU GOT A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING. . LOST FOR WORDS.

Thank you sutphin! Hang tight, I have most of that blue feathered plate and its in the process of coming back together. It probably wont be until this evening, but I will post a picture of what I was able to reassemble. Some of the porcelain is still wet from cleaning, so I have to wait for things to dry more before I can keep gluing.

Nice work with the sifter. I have a similar spot that I intend to sift after they move the cows out later this fall.

Thank you Steve. I'm looking forward to seeing what you find in there.

Nice relics. Cool glass bottle stopper, and that LC isn't shabby either. Congratulations

Thank you RJ! The LC was a total surprise and left me standing there with a dumb grin. ha

Very nice hunt and finds. The LC and stopper are really super finds. Keep on sifting.

Thank you ATW! I never knew how much fun sifting was... its hard work, but its so much fun you don't even realize it.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are killin' it with the sifter! Sifting can really be a blast if you hit the right spot and obviously you did. Keep at it!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A really nice array of finds there!! Congrats on another amazing outing :thumbsup:

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy seeing your sifting finds. I made myself a coupke nice sifters about 3 years ago and I have never even used them yet lol.. I probably should one of these days...

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I managed to fit 24 pieces together and I have about half a plate. If the person who threw this away 175 years ago knew it would be glued back together and shared electronically across the globe, maybe they would have tossed it away a little softer!

I like the chips, cracks and breaks better than if it were a perfect plate. It will display well in the cabinet.

IMG_20150819_153812723_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150819_153839364_HDR.jpg

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great spot you have. That largie looks really nice!:thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sifting sure looks like a lot of fun in the right spot

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are killin' it with the sifter! Sifting can really be a blast if you hit the right spot and obviously you did. Keep at it!

Thank you! Really having a great time doing it. I'll keep you guys updated.

A really nice array of finds there!! Congrats on another amazing outing :thumbsup:

Thanks Erik! Really been a great year for me.

I enjoy seeing your sifting finds. I made myself a coupke nice sifters about 3 years ago and I have never even used them yet lol.. I probably should one of these days...

Thank you! I'm definitely glad I made these... now I will work on my design to make them a little easier on the body. Its very tiring, but the relics make you forget how much you hurt until you try and stand up.

That is a great spot you have. That largie looks really nice!:thumbsup:

Thanks Basque Man! It was icing on the cake for me yesterday. To bad its got some spots of bad verdigris on the back... but I cant complain, I have 4 unidentifiable toasted coppers from this site, so at least this one is presentable.

Sifting sure looks like a lot of fun in the right spot

Thank you! It really is a great time. As a kid our parents would take us to those water sluice gem things... where you buy a bucket of dirt and there are gemstones in there. Well, the excitement of screening for relics is just the same. When I get the sifter loaded with dirt and know something old and great will be in the bottom, it is just a great time.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice sifting finds. You find the right spot and sifting sure is addictive.

Thanks Metalev4! I don't know anything about glass or pottery. I've got some 1862 and 1863 patent dates on some shards of some bottoms of bottles. However, from my last two posts, some of the bottle pieces look much older... some look hand blown with no seams. Would you happen to know about the time period those might date?

The most modern coin I have found here is 1837 and the most modern relics are civil war. It appears activity ceased around that period. So I am hoping some glass is much older.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I to found a 1851 Goodyear button was in the hole with a wheatie 1944 View attachment 1201147

I just did some googling. Your button, like mine, is made by India Rubber Comb Company and is made of India Rubber. The Goodyear 1851 date is the patent year that Charles Goodyear got for the manufacturing of India Rubber. One source I looked at says "This patent features a process incorporating sulfur, shellac, magnesia, lime, or carbonate or sulfate of magnesia or lime with rubber which is heated to create a hard and inflexible compound."... so basically its the patent year for vulcanizing natural rubber. ha

I don't see much on the India Rubber Comb Company, but these buttons would be post 1851... and based on my site, it should be sometime before the mid 1860's.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How I missed this post, i dont know.
Thats Awesome Brad.
I just made my first sifter.
As soon as it cools down a little I plan on digging alot of pits I have been saving.
Great digs. Was it alot of work?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How I missed this post, i dont know.
Thats Awesome Brad.
I just made my first sifter.
As soon as it cools down a little I plan on digging alot of pits I have been saving.
Great digs. Was it alot of work?

Thanks George.
It's a ton of work, but I'm new at it and probably doing it all wrong. Ha. Honestly, I was having so much fun that I didn't realize how tiring it was until I had to leave. I slept like a rock Sun night and last night though. I also looked like I was buried alive when I was done.... I'll probably have to burn those clothes... 100 degrees and high humidity made dirt stick all over me. Haha

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great job on the LC and other relics, I have a site like this that I totally want to sift this year, only problem is the corn doesn't get cut til late late November than frost is right around the corner!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread