🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After the morning I had this past weekend (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/473073-colonial-civil-war-swinging-sifting.html) using my new sifter, I couldn't wait to get back out there. After work yesterday, I spent 5 more hours in the field and expanded on my pit from the weekend.

The highlights for me were the glass bottle stopper, the bone handled pocket knife, the LC, 5/64ths pipe stem, and pretty much every button that made an appearance had me smiling. I also really like the two forks. One of the most fun parts of this sifting thing for me is Supergluing the pottery back together. Its a fun puzzle! I have most of a teacup, and I know the area that I need to sift to find most of the rest of it.

IMG_20150819_094609521_HDR.jpg IMG_20150819_094631081_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150819_094622288_HDR.jpg IMG_20150819_094644972_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150819_094638170_HDR.jpg IMG_20150819_094654682_HDR.jpg

I'm new at this sifting thing, but I'm not new at targets being masked! After making a pile of dirt I swung my coil over it and got a beautiful high 80's tone. At this site, that makes my heart skip a beat because I am about to see a copper or a silver. I stood there with a huge grin on my face when I pulled this from the dirt pile. Not a squeak or squawk or chirp from this LC when it was in the ground... it was only about 6 inches deep but there is SO MUCH iron in this trash area that it was totally masked. This is now the second "Surprise LC" from this site due to masking. Its the 5th LC from this site total.

Is this enough to tell a variety? I know its the Large Date, but all the varieties look the same to me.
IMG_20150818_221121965_HDR.jpg IMG_20150818_221036413_HDR.jpg

Some dirty pictures from the field!
IMG_20150818_154449608.jpg IMG_20150818_172809598.jpg IMG_20150818_183801054.jpg

***Any advice on stabilizing the bone handled pocket knife. My options are electrolysis, evapo-rust or ACV. I lean more towards electrolysis or evapo-rust as the acv might hurt\discolor the bone. Anyone have experience stabilizing something that is bone and iron? The rust is flaking and buldging against the bone... its only a matter of time before it pops the bone sides off and its ruined.

Last edited:
Upvote 18
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great job on the LC and other relics, I have a site like this that I totally want to sift this year, only problem is the corn doesn't get cut til late late November than frost is right around the corner!!

Thanks Chris! It's too much fun, you have to figure out a way to sift that site. ha Maybe the farmer could use the bucket on one of his tractors and make you a pile of dirt to sift. That'll at least cut down on half the work\time.

streakert

Aug 1, 2013
central Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Minelab CTX 3030,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember right the Japanese used gold to fill in the broken cracks and held it as a thing of beauty.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool assortment of finds from sifting, liking the buttons and the pink bead. Getting stuff like the watch winder and the LC that would of been masked otherwise makes for a good sift. Glass can be a bit of a wide range for dating as a plate or other ware could be used for a long time before being tossed because it was broken. The bottles could be out of the same mold or made the same way for a decade or more, then it might be reused for other things for years before been tossed. But when you get a lot of different items pointing at the same decade then you're on the target date. Good luck on the return sifting it's lots of fun and a bit of hard work. :)

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
As usual, very nice finds. The stopper is very nice. I am a coin guy, so I am all over that sweet LC. Well done!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool assortment of finds from sifting, liking the buttons and the pink bead. Getting stuff like the watch winder and the LC that would of been masked otherwise makes for a good sift. Glass can be a bit of a wide range for dating as a plate or other ware could be used for a long time before being tossed because it was broken. The bottles could be out of the same mold or made the same way for a decade or more, then it might be reused for other things for years before been tossed. But when you get a lot of different items pointing at the same decade then you're on the target date. Good luck on the return sifting it's lots of fun and a bit of hard work. :)

Awesome information, thanks a ton pepperj. Is the "gun sight" looking thing what you are referring to as the watch winder? If so, that is awesome! I had no idea what that piece was, but now it makes sense. For some reason, I have never dug a thimble or a watch winder, but others seem to find them all the time. Thank you again.

As usual, very nice finds. The stopper is very nice. I am a coin guy, so I am all over that sweet LC. Well done!

Thanks Tom! It was a great surprise to find that LC.... and even better that is was in "okay" condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread