More silver in the cash register...

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Alot of neat stuff and nice pics! Especially that on '64 quarter was in great shape! Finding a Buffalo with the date readable is great too- and just as impressive is the SLQ.

My total to date is: 3 silver Rosies, 1 1944 EF-40 Mercury, 3 silver nickels, and one really, really, crappy buffalo. This is all from about 6 months behind the register. I have never seen anyone spend half dollars- ever- so I am really impressed that you got those...

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
lol nawww the real bucks are in , "10 dollars on pump #12"
maybe thats why ive found so much cause when people are out of gas they dont care what they spend

O

Orien

I always make sure that i have a pocket full of clad. It sucks to find a stash of old silver in a till and not have anything to replace it with.
I pulled a 41 nickel out yesterday.

HH

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the bank and get rolls of nickels

I have had the most luck going though rolls of nickels. It is not unusual to find lots of them from the 50's a few from the forties, and a 38 0r 39 every now and then. I have even found a few war nickels this way. It's a good way to pass the time. I have gotten several rolls of old nickels in my collection this way, and I almost have the whole set together. I have also heard half dollar rolls are good to go through but I have'nt tried them yet.

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the bank and get rolls of nickels

I have had the most luck going though rolls of nickels. It is not unusual to find lots of them from the 50's a few from the forties, and a 38 0r 39 every now and then. I have even found a few war nickels this way. It's a good way to pass the time. I have gotten several rolls of old nickels in my collection this way, and I almost have the whole set together. I have also heard half dollar rolls are good to go through but I have'nt tried them yet.

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Re:

Alright,

Here is my ten cents worth. Aside from going to banks and asking for rolled coinage, check out the change machines at the local car wash. A number of good finds can be made ranging from most, if not all, of the states quarters and silver coins, too.

Seajay

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Here is my latest cash register find! Just yesterday...I would rate it as F-12 (Fine).

H

Holyfield

I found out in the middle to late eighties-Older Senior Widows were spending change from the dead ole' man's penny bank. I worked in a store (Beer Store). I accumulated many mercs 25+. 2Kennedys. The ole' men must of hid good stuff. HappyHunt'in Holyfield

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Malak, I was reading this post and had to laugh. I was thinking how this hardly ever happens to me anymore after I had read some of this the other day. The I went to Burger Kink for lunch the other day and guess what! Along with my fries, my change included a 1960 silver roosevelt dime. I asked the teller if she had anymore silver dimes and she looked at me like, HUH? Then she started pawing through the dimes. I don't think she got it though. She looked like she probably wasn't even born until the 80's. Man, now I feel old!

Chiz

Mar 26, 2003
New Jersey....
The one thing I noticed is that for every silver dime or quarter I got, there were at least 10 war time, lead, old, etc. nickles found. Do you guys have the same ratio? I think People just don't look at nickles as closely as the others....

Chiz
8)

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
In the 23 years of my life prior to working cash register retail, I had found about 3 or 4 silver nickels in change, and no silver dimes or quarters. Since working retail, I have found 4 or 5 silver nickels, 4 silver dimes, and 0 quarters.

Tomorrow will be a week without finding anything at Blockbuster. One interesting thing: Since being there, I have found only one wheat- and that doesn't really count since my boss found it and gave it to me.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've gotten far more silver dimes than nickels, and perhaps only one nickel. Even in the change I find while detecting, silver dimes beat quarters beat nickels. I've only found one silver nickel, and it was badly damaged.

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Of course, silver Jefferson nickels were only made from 42-45 while silver dimes were made from 46 to 64, and that's not counting Merc's or any of the earlier ones...

allyourbase

Oct 1, 2003
NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
can someone enlighten me on what dates coins stopped being made of silver? The only ones that i [think] i know are the kennedy halfs and quarters prior to 1964 were made of silver.

what about other small coins dimes etc.?

thanks
ayb

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
most are 64 and below except nickles which are 42-45 with big mint mark on reverse side
i got another 62 roosevelt yesterday yeah

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Quarters and Dimes were last made of silver (.900) in 1964. Kennedy Halfs were started in 1964 and were silver, then they were reduced to "Silver Clad" from 1965 till 1970. I'm pretty sure that when looking at the 65-70 edgewise, they look like any other silver coin, but the core is mostly copper. Don't have the sandwich look.

Real silver dollars were last made in 1935 witht the Peace Dollar (my favorite coin) although some silver clad Eisenhower dollars were made in the 70's.

OP
OP
MDnoob

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Had quite a scare the other night...

My wife "cleaned up" our room (read: puts things where I can't find them) I noticed that the silver which I had found over the last few months in the cash register at Blockbuster was gone. I assumed that she had put them somewhere logical..but I had a bad feeling about it.
"umm...Honey, what did you do with those coins that were here?"
"I put them in my wallet."

Uh Oh.

Fortunately they were still in there, and I recovered all of them, but it was kind of scary. I am pretty sure my wife knows better and was just doing it to teach me to keep the room cleaner! :D

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
lol that was a close one, i keep all my cash register finds in one of those coin roll boxes that you get from the bank , found a couple more silver rosies last week , one roll of dimes i opened had three

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions